Search Unity

Third Party [Photon] 2 players on one client? / MP testing in general

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by bluescrn, Feb 6, 2016.

1. bluescrn

bluescrn

Hi,

Just reading up on Photon (and other networking options).

It is possible with Photon to have two players connected (two separate connections to a room) from one client?

Just wondering if it's possible to build a 'development mode' that runs two or more instances of the game in the Unity editor, split screen, for rapid development/testing? - it looks like Photon relies heavily on a static PhotonNetwork class - can't see an obvious way to create multiple instances of that?

How are people generally testing their multiplayer games? - I remember there being some sort of workaround to run multiple instances of the Unity editor with the same project open? - is this still doable, and is it reliable?

2. tobiass

tobiass

PUN does not allow 2 connections from one player.
    You could run multiple instances on one machine and test that way. I usually run a standalone build and in-Editor for development.
    While this seems unwieldy, it also means you don't run into all the other issues you get when you run 2 players in one instance. You have to be able to switch (reliably), show any current state, whenever you switch, etc.. I can not really recommend going that route, especially, if that's not part of the final game design.
    To make things a little more bearable, I would (e.g.) implement a shortcut that automatically gets you into a room/match, so you don't have to click several times to get a match. Also, maybe you can come up with shortcuts for specific situations to test, etc.

3. alonsoGarrote

alonsoGarrote

Hi tobiass,
    I have two PCs, If I have Unity 5.x on both, each with the same project, each using the same AppID from Photon Console, will I be able to see console messages between both players from the same game/room on both Unity editors?, is it possible to connect to the same game from two Unity editors?,
    Regards,

4. tobiass

tobiass

Yes, that's not a problem at all.

5. yeronimo

yeronimo

Hello, as alonsoGarrote wrote, I have two PCs / unity 2017.4.3 / same project on both from collaborate/ same photon app id (pun v2). When I`m trying join to same room on both pcs in editor both of them are creating new room/game not matching each other to the same room. But when I build&run on one of them and on other play in editor mode everything works fine. Question: "is it possible to connect to the same game from two Unity editor" or what I`m doing wrong ?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  6. tobiass

tobiass

@yeronimo: There is no built-in limit that prevents joining a room from multiple Editor instances. All clients are more or less the same, no matter which platform (or Editor).
    Have a look at the checklist for matchmaking problems. If none of that helps, mail us more about the case: developer@photonengine.com. In that case, make sure to run the SupportLogger for additional output in the console and include the logs in the mail. It may help in either case.