Search Unity

Package Manager not showing latest version from Asset Store

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by SugoiDev, Dec 10, 2019.

1. BradZoob

BradZoob

i said it a couple of years ago and i'll say it again, do yourselves and everyone else a favour and just expose the minimal most simplest self managed interface imaginable, like SFTP to linked paid packages or just s3 access, let folks sort out their own system of versioning and their own risks, i don't know what your company culture is like that this is your reality but things like this you guys seem to spend massive amounts of time on and get nowhere, just keep it simple, focus on the engine not the system logistics.

mindvivid, swingingtom and firstuser like this.
  2. Leniaal

Leniaal

I also cannot update some of my assets. It keeps telling me there is an update available after I press update. It's stuck on one version.

Completely disagree, dealing with everyone's "custom" update routine with be a huge pita. That being said, the package manager should of course just work properly and it's still a very buggy expierience.

Clonkex likes this.
  3. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

Why can't we simply download packages directly from the Asset store website?

4. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have found what I think may be an important clue to at least one manifestation of this bug.

If the name of the .unitypackage file changes between one version and the next of an asset, then the Package Manager will either not pick up that an update is needed or -- and in my experience, more likely -- it will show the update available and allow the download, but the status of the package is not changed.

With experimentation, I found that Package Manager is not deleting the old version of the package file from the download directory. Furthermore, if I manually go to that directory from the command line or GUI file manager, and I delete the old version of the package while Unity PM is still active, PM will after a few seconds refresh its metadata for that package and will show the correct version and up-to-date status.

I am not sure if this issue can also account for the PM not showing some available updates, so what I can say is that it is definitely "an" issue but may or may not be "the" issue.

BTW, I haven't yet tried to reproduce this under Unity 2020.2.3 LTS or 2021.1.x, as I just installed those a few days ago for pretesting my projects' migration. But I did reproduce this under (if I recall) 2020.2.6f1. I may be misquoting the version number here, but I do remember that it was one minor release number later than the one which was supposed to have fixed the problem.

5. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

I can confirm what @syscrusher is saying.
    In particular, this whole issue seems to have become an actual issue when the new asset store renamed/moved the categories around, so packages where in another folder now.

I don't have the folders from back them, but the structure had changed a lot when I noticed this issue back in the day.

I eventually just deleted the entire "AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" folder and when something isn't right with a specific asset I delete its folder too (or the entire asset store folder again).

6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

I'd take a look at this post above as we've fixed this and advised a couple of patches which this was resolved in. If you still encounter the issue on those patches, then we'd suggest filing a bug report.

spoutnix likes this.
  7. the_Whizzkid

the_Whizzkid

Just for those having the same problem like me (written about earlier in this thread): I finally managed to update all of my packages.
    I'm using 2019.4.24f1 now, where the package manager updates almost everything. But it does not yet function for some developer's assets. For those few packages I downloaded the 2020.3.4f1, created an empty project, used that packagemanager to update the assets and than went back to my 2019.4. The packages are udpated and i can import from there. I tried that trick already with an early 2020.2.x version, but that didn't work.

8. zKici

zKici

Fyi its happening with 2020.3.0f1 as well ....

9. bbjones

bbjones

Confirmed this is still broken in 2020.3.5f1 LTS.

Even if I manually delete the appdata folders, and to download the asset again, it WILL NOT update to the latest version.

How can this be fixed? I'm on a LTS version and as far as I can tell the package manager gets worse on 2021 versions where it won't show preview packages.

10. spoutnix

spoutnix

This bug is present in 2021.1.4f1...
    UnityMaru , thanks for your answer but the link you provided goes right to this post in this forum... Am I wrong ?
    Anyway, for hours, I looked again for a solution on google, tried many things, windows firewall, windows antivirus stuff... but no luck... I filled a Bug report (#1331535) few days ago but I have no feedback on it yet.

The very not-funny-cherry on top of the bug now, is that, if I use the Magnifier-Glass filter to look for a specific asset, when I empty the field, Package Manager is then not able to rigthly sort packages by name, it is a mess... Scrolling down to select an asset and ZAP ! it goes at the very top of the list selecting the 1st one... Come on !
    If I work with another software, leting Unity run in background, I see Package Manager showing the Update icons, as soon as Unity is in focus, ZAP!, icons disapear to display UpToDate icons... very frustrating !

Well, I ask again, is it related in having too much assets, packages folder, internet connection...? It worked pretty well on 2019 unity editors though...
    Well, that starts to upset me, so much waisted time for something that should be trivial... I WANT TO UPADATE MY PAID ASSETS, give us a way to do it please, please, please Mister-Madame-Miss Unity !

Attached Files:

11. Wawwaa

Wawwaa

I can confirm that Unity 2020.2.3 does not have the problem. Unity 2020.2.2 does have the problem. It is not fixed there.

12. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

I'll chat to the team and see what info I can provide to you folks.

darkgriffin and spoutnix like this.
  13. darkgriffin

darkgriffin

Just posting to share that I have a problem updating my assets too.

Using Unity 2020.3.6f1 LTS package manager, Windows 10 latest updates, and a blank project file I use solely for running the Package Manager without having to load up my other projects.

One repeatable package upgrade that fails every time is Modular Animal Knight Polyart from version 1.3 (The one I have currently) to 1.4.0 (Newest store version). Doesn't matter how I tell the editor to update it, the update downloads the entire plugin, then magically reverts back to 1.3.0 with no console error. There are many others that have this issue as well, I haven't found anything "special" about them from my end.

I am glad to hear unity team is looking into this at least. It seems like a very odd bug, so good luck!

---

A bit of feedback for Unity as well. Can we have a filter/sort method that lists only the plugins needing updates to the latest version? We can sort the list by update date as a work around, however that doesn't actually help find all the ones that we haven't updated locally once we fall a few months behind.

To be perfectly honest, I still don't understand why on earth we can't just have a button that says "Update All Local Packages to latest" and press that in the evening as we walk away. It's ridiculous to have to babysit this process one plugin at a time. The updater software can clearly handle multiple download processes as evidenced by selecting to update something else while the first update is still downloading.

We already "lock in" the version when we import the plugin into the game project. For ease of support, most asset creators expect you to test on the latest version only and won't even support us if we don't prove the bug exists on the latest version of a plugin. (For clarity: this is totally understandable from the asset creator's side and I don't have anything against those who enforce this!)

I see very little use case where it would be "useful" to NOT update the downloaded plugins from the asset store. And right now that "option" is coming at the expense of, at least in my case, hours of otherwise code/design productive time just babysitting and troubleshooting the Package manager.

14. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hello, a fix for a similar (if not this exact) issue will land in 2020.3.8f1.

Here is an excerpt of the bug report:
    Repro Steps:
    Able to repro on some asset store package, not all of them.
    1. Go in Package Manager window > My Assets
    2. Select a package which contain an update available.
    3. Update

Actual Result:
    - The download progress happens.
    - The package current version reverts to the previous one.

Expected Result:
    - Package should update with the newly downloaded version.
    - Import new assets button should be available.

15. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Bonjour O, j'essaie de repro ton problème, sans succès / I tried to repro your issue without any success in 2021.1.4f1. The weird thing is the problem you seem to experience was easily repro before 2020.2.3f1 where we found a fix for it. From now on, so far, I have not been able to repro the issue where the Update button suddenly disappears, only the Import button is available and package list shows the outdated asset store package version as being up to date.

You may think a video would not be of any help but it would actually help us to see what is going on timing wise. Feel free to record one and share it in the Fogbugz you already reported.

Thanks

spoutnix likes this.
  16. spoutnix

spoutnix

Fix to be able to download packages:

In short, the problem is indeed due to the lonnnnng refreshing of the list of packages, as soon as this routine starts, all packages appear "up to date", this routine is triggered as soon as Unity becomes Focus (switching from another software) OR as soon as a package finishes to be downloaded .
    If Unity remains focused, all is well, we cannot speak of a bug but of cumbersome processing.

So, the "fix" is:
    BE PATIENT, keep Unity in focus, wait for Package-Manager to displays packages to be updated, then one can update multiple packages at the same time.
    When a packages is downloaded OR if you switch from Photoshop, VisualStudio, whatever... the process starts over... BE PATIENT, keep Unity in focus...

I hope that this will be useful to users (and that this long refreshing process will be optimised).

Olivier

firstuser likes this.
  17. zKici

zKici

If a specific package is being searched for, I don't want to wait for the rest of them to load up first. I truly hope thats not the case.... lol

18. ideletemyself

ideletemyself

having the same kind of issue using 2019.4.26f1 and previously 2019.4.25f1 when trying to update R.A.M. 2019 to version 1.4.7 from 1.3.9

It will just keep pulling version 1.3.9 even though I've cleared that version from the Asset Store-5.x folder. I've asked the devs for a .unitypackage and I hope they provide because this thread hasn't inspired great expectations this issue ever getting resolved...

19. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

This is pretty severe man my one is telling me packages from 2016 are up to date despite like 30 updates from that package since then which I have noticed but haven't updated since I haven't needed to use that package until now.

I was about to report this but there's already a report someone did about this so I will just add my text from the report I cancelled:
    1. What happened

Package Manager says I have latest version of asset despite the last version I downloaded was from 4 years ago of that package!

2. How can we reproduce it using the example you attached

This bug has happened a few times before and other users have reported it as well. The package manager is severely in need of an update as well like slow

loading times and many other errors but this one is really severe because I didn't think the package manager had THIS much trouble resolving what version of a package

you had installed. I went to download a package called Cartoon Fx Remaster and I haven't used this since 2016 which is still on my system and you would expect that

the package manager would surely say update but nope it says import! It says this for all the 3 different cartoon effects packs it's madness because it in Roaming Unity

folder it says they haven't been updated since 2016 because that's the last time I used them until now yikes!

*Unity version 2021.1.4f1
    *This is not the only issue with the package manager I get bucket loads of random errors at random points making it need a constant refresh. If I try to interact with any of the items as it loads the list it will usually result in an error too so often times the only way around these is to restart Unity if the refresh doesn't work. It often takes a whole 1 minute to load my assets too where it's instant in the browser....luckily I work around this by finding my asset in the browser and clicking "open with Unity" which will open that specific asset in the package manager if it works.
    It's 2021 and we are using that system....

firstuser likes this.
  20. darkgriffin

darkgriffin

Hi! New bug in 2020.3.8f1, might be related to what you just "fixed".

Setup:

Rainbow Folders 2: I have the September 06 2020 version downloaded locally, which reports itself as 2.3.0. The newest version the package manager sees online is February 26, 2021, however that version also says it is 2.3.0.

Result:

Unity package manager sees the update and asks to "update plugin". However, after downloading the plugin, the package manager skips installing it and instead I am reverted back to the September 06 version. This is repeatable and the plugin is unable to update this package.

If I had a guess, I'd say it's because the two have the same package version number of 2.3.0 in this case. However, Unity should consider having the Package Manager also check the publishing date of the plugins to allow this to update in these cases.

---

It's really unacceptable to use up all the user's bandwidth downloading a package and then without even asking just skip installing it. Aside from the disrespect to the user's time, many users of Unity operate in countries where bandwidth is not unlimited, so this current design will cost them money too since it can happen to any plugin author's content. Some of the art assets or texture assets are huge, and tossing out the download like this is not helpful!

I strongly suggest the Unity Package Manager should instead spot these cases and toss an error before trashing it's own downloaded file. Let the user decide if they want the newly downloaded version or the current local version on their system. That small UI change would alleviate a LOT of these kinds of problems and let users have a work around for future ones that could come up.

---

The fix in 2020.3.8f1 seems to have caught some of these cases, as I was able to update more of my plugins. However, it is still not solved entirely because of cases like the above. Please keep working on this!

firstuser likes this.
  21. darkgriffin

darkgriffin

Update: I've now managed to update everything except for 2 of my packages. Looking over my plugins, the version number doesn't have anything to do with it. The second broken plugin is Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature, which has a version upgrade from 1.6.7 to 1.6.8. So that's not what is breaking it.

Another thing that both have in common from my end is the current install supports a higher version of unity then the recent update. For reference:

Rainbow Folders 2: Local version supports 2019.3.0 or higher. Update version supports 2018.3.0 or higher.
    Forest Environment - Dynamic Nature: Local version supports 2020.2.6 or higher. Update version supports 2018.3.14 or higher.

In Rainbow Folder's case, the actual plugin version is the same. However Forest Environment is a version upgrade (from 1.6.7 to .8) I'm wondering now if Unity Package Manager won't install the new version because the old one is for a later version of unity (Despite the "or higher" requirement, if it was simply checking that against the current unity version for proximity, in both cases the "lower end support version" of the new update would be rejected.)

I don't know how helpful this data is. Unfortunately, I noticed this after having updated the rest of my collection. So I do not have a way to rule this theory out from my end by comparing with the upgrades that worked.

Regardless, please continue looking into the issue. It's a pretty crippling matter for starting new projects off right and keeping up with author's support changes.

KBCreator1985 and firstuser like this.
  22. spoutnix

spoutnix

Package Manager of 2021-1-7f1... IS STABLE !
    No more long refresh when Unity is out of focus, Packaes to be updated are well displayed, Yeah !
    Using Sort-Field, then going back to "by name" is not yet repaired, not such a big deal...

Olivier

23. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

So I had an interesting thing happen today that might offer some more light about this issue. I think that the package manager has a delayed response in checking your version.
    What happened was that I looked for a package and it said that it was all up to date bla bla and so I imported it.
    The moment however I imported it the import message changed to update so I updated it and imported it once again.
    So why did the package manager not initially know it needed to be updated and why did it only show up to update after I imported this package....does it not have a reliable check to know if the asset I have in my roaming folder is outdated?I
    I mean for this specific asset called Beautiful Transitions I haven't used it in years so of course it's out of date yet the package manager shows it's up to date. Could the package manager accidentally be loading the date from the Unity asset store registry rather than the users roaming folder where it is located? These need to be checked.

24. bbjones

bbjones

v2020.3.8f1 - It still keeps asking me to update some assets even when wiping my local cache folder and downloading clean, after download is complete the update button appears.

At least one asset involved is from naturemanufacturer.

25. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

26. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

The latest fix for My Assets update issues landed in 2019.4.23f1, 2020.3.8f1, 2021.1.7f1 and 2021.2.0a16, so give any of those a go and you should be fine.

The fixes above that landed should mitigate the risk of users encountering this issue, but it doesn't solve the underlying issues - this is still being investigated.

SilverStorm likes this.
  27. Slobdell

Slobdell

I'm having this problem still with Unity 2021.1.7f1. I am using the OpenXR plugin from Unity's registry. I have version 1.1.1 from 4/8/2021 and it says it's the latest version. In the changelog, it says that 1.2.0 was reelased on 5/6/2021. Please help me, this is a massive update for Oculus Quest that I'm unable to install.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.openxr@1.2/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

Edit: fixed by going back to LTS of Unity 2020. My guess would be that the plugin says it's compatible with Unity 2020.2.0b14+, and it wouldn't recognize that Unity 2021 was a version greater than 2020.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  28. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Slobdell,

Starting with Unity Editor 2021.1, package versions that have not been fully tested with a given Editor release are no longer shown in the Package Manager. Since this specific package was actually released for 2021.2, and it is marked as compatible with 2020.3.0b14+, there's a good chance it will work on 2021.1.7f1. You can try adding it in your project manually by following these steps:

1) In the Package Manager window, click on the top-left + button and choose "Add package by name..."
    upload_2021-5-28_15-40-57.png

2) Enter the name ("com.unity.xr.openxr") and version ("1.2.0")
    upload_2021-5-28_15-41-21.png

Click Add, and that should add/upgrade the package at that version.

Yuneetee likes this.
  29. Arithebee

Arithebee

It's 2021 and i still have this issue. I think Unity is trying to destroy it self for some weird reason. Going to download Unreal soon

30. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Have you tried the advice above your post?

31. hk1ll3r

hk1ll3r

Seeing a similar issue in Unity 2020.3.13f on windows...

I select "picker for uGUI" in package manager. It shows version 2.4.8 as latest version. So far so good.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/gui/picker-for-ugui-31412
    https://i.imgur.com/pGhsviW.jpeg

Pressing download however downloads version 2.3.2. Pressing update shows the download progress bar for a second but does nothing.
    https://i.imgur.com/kxZnDNw.jpeg

So there is no way to get the latest package version (2.4.8). It happens only to this package so far so this might be due to some rare bug in package manager and package configuration. I can delete the old .unitypackage from local app data, but I go back to the original state. Pressing download gets me version 2.3.2.

32. Bearsauce

Bearsauce

I have this same issue on 2020.3.5f1. Although I think I am able to download the newest version (pending confirmation from asset owner), but the package manager still shows an old version as the current version. When I press update on the new version, I also get a brief flash of progress bar and then it shows the newest version as the current version for half a second before reverting back to the old version.

I am testing this with Easy Save asset. It shows 3.1.4 as the current version and 3.3.2 as the latest version.

33. Clonkex

Clonkex

I had this issue on 2021.1.15f1 and was going to report it but restarting the editor fixed it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

34. Marks4

Marks4

There's another issue now. The package does appear to be updated, but the contents are the same as the previous version. I need to manually delete the package and download it again to get the correct version...this is even worse because you think that you have the updated package, but you don't.

LazloBonin likes this.
  35. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Can confirm, just got the same problem on Unity 2020.3.4 LTS.

Marks4 likes this.
  36. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

As a note, I think I might have a guess as to the potential cause.

When I went into my package cache to delete the package and force a redownload, there were 2 *.unitypackage files.

I think the publisher had changed the name of the package between the previous version I had and the latest version.

Unity presumably downloaded the latest version as a different *.unitypackage file, but loaded the older version *.unitypackage when clicking "Import" (why the old one and not the latest? IDK, maybe because it was first in alphabetical sorting, that would also just be an educated guess).

37. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Can confirm on my side as well. I noticed this happening since the first releases of the Package Manager that supported asset store assets. It still happening to this day if the asset name, publisher or categories change.

38. Marks4

Marks4

That's a good theory but it's busted because I had the problem with an asset that didn't change name or category between versions. Unity fix this, will you? This is f***ed up.

39. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

Still having this issue in 2021.1.25f1. Manually editing the manifest.json and packages-lock.json to upgrade my input system package from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 because it thinks 1.0.2 is an upgrade for some reason?

40. AnMill

AnMill

2021.1.26f - same issue

41. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

In your specific case, when you expand the Input System, is there an R icon showing next to 1.0.2?

42. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

It would appear so.
    upload_2021-10-28_18-27-14.png

43. GuitarBro

GuitarBro

I should mention, on a completely different PC (this one's running 2021.1.14f1), Input System still shows 1.0.2 as the latest version. I can update to the latest patch release if you think there's any merit to it.

upload_2021-11-22_23-32-53.png

44. ttesla

ttesla

Reporting from 2020.3.23f1 this is still not stable. Sometimes its working sometimes not. I don't know whats wrong with this. Maybe the package providers are doing something wrong. Because most of the unity packages are working fine. I'm having problem with "Scoped Registries" and "Git" packages.

Here is my workaround based on the previous messages and my trials:

If I'm sure there is an update and unity package manager doesn't detect, I manually update my packages.
    There is a "+" sign on the package manager window. Click on that and you have 3 options. I use Tarball and Git Url options.

- If I can find the tarball of the package I update with tarball.
    - If there is a git version I re-add the same URL then it detects the update. Amazing, isn't it :)

45. esteban16108

esteban16108

2019.4.18 still having this problem

46. Charlicopter

Charlicopter

I think I may be having the same issue...I thought it was me just my usual self-confusion, but some digging brought me here...
    Is this a bug, then?
    I'm looking for OpenXR 1.3.1, but:
    Where is 1.3.1.png

47. Sentrovasi

Sentrovasi

It's really not. Changing major functionality to make things more efficient, only to break things that were working perfectly is less than ideal. Especially since this is still an issue.

48. JonathanCel

JonathanCel

I got this with Burst in 2021.2 -- same issue?

- Upgraded from Burst 1.65 to Burst 1.7.1
    - Something broke
    - Downgradd 1.7.1 down to 1.6.5
    - No amount of restarts/refreshes/"show preview packages" would make 1.7.1 come back.

Edit:
    just git reverted `packages\manifest.json` and `packages\packages-lock.json` and I was offered the 1.7.1 upgrade again via the button at the bottom right of the window (where "remove" normally sits).

I remember the list on the left showing multiple versions of any given package, but now it's just got 1.6.1 and 1.6.5, no 1.7.1

Would be nice if just went back to:
    "here's a list of stuff, you can filter it by release-worth versions"

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  49. ASGS_DumbFox

ASGS_DumbFox

I have this same issue when trying to update Hurricane VR in 2020.3.25f1, 2020.3.35f1, and 2021.3.3f1.

I tried some of the recommendations above and still have not resolved this issue.

50. BradZoob

BradZoob

i take it you're an obstinate positivist :p, here we are yet another year later. SFTP for the love of god.