Search Unity

Package Manager not showing latest version from Asset Store

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by SugoiDev, Dec 10, 2019.

1. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Slate was updated to 1.9.8 yesterday (12/9) but the Package Manager does not show that version.
    It shows the latest one as 1.9.6, from October.

I tried clicking in the "Open in Unity" button on the Asset Store, but the latest one is still not shown.
    It refreshes normally when I first open it.

Any idea what could be the cause?

It worked after I deleted the locally downloaded old version from AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\, but I would rather not have to do that every time.

upload_2019-12-10_14-37-28.png

upload_2019-12-10_14-36-46.png

dan_ginovker likes this.
  2. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! This does indeed look like a bug. Could you file a report with us so our team can look into it?

Thanks so much!
    Ethan

3. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Hey @ethan_jl_unity, thanks for replying.

This one might be tricky to submit.

How could I do it?

The project will be a completely empty project, so it won't reproduce straight away.

Do I include a zip of the AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\ folder?
    And special instructions that the files must be copied there?
    Please, let me know.

4. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Yeah I can understand how this could be a bit tricky, especially considering the package in question here is a not a free one (hence attaching the asset store folder is not a good idea). Since the project is empty, it looks like the content of the project is not the issue here.

To file a bug, you can see the following link:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

I would say since there's not much files to attach on your end to reproduce, the most important is to have a clear description, screenshot or maybe video.

Thank so much!
    Ethan

5. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Alright, sounds good.
    Will post the case # here later.

Thanks!

6. Mathijs_Bakker

Mathijs_Bakker

Wait,
    You install an Asset Store asset through the Package Manager?
    Do I miss something here?

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

yes you did, its in 2020, not sure about earlier versions

8. Mathijs_Bakker

Mathijs_Bakker

Cannot find it...
    Do I need a special package to see the UAS?
    Btw, there's also no option to create a draft for Package Manager in publisher account.

This is one thing that I am been waiting for.
    So if you could point me in the right way.

9. Mathijs_Bakker

Mathijs_Bakker

Oh I found it in Unity.

10. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I'm still experiencing this issue. Is there a workaround or a way to force check for new versions?

11. RoyS

RoyS

Experiencing this in Unity v2020.2x. Couldn't find this in the bug report.

12. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there, this is now bugged in FogBugz and we're now chasing up this issue!

RoyS likes this.
  13. darthdeus

darthdeus

Is there anything we can actually do to fix this? Maybe some cache that can be cleared, or a way to directly download the asset instead using the editor? I really just need to download one extra file from a new version of the asset, but the Package Manager is still showing me the old version.

14. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Same question, this is a rather urgent issues for our users when they simply can't get the latest fixes from us. Is there a workaround we can suggest for them?

Ignacii and KWaldt like this.
  15. KWaldt

KWaldt

Deleting the file in appdata works as a workaround. (Just had to do that for Peek. It registered an update, but only to 1.1.9 instead of 1.3.)
    Would be great though if there was a better way... or it just worked.

16. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

For reference if anyone is wondering in the future, that file is:

%APPDATA%\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\PUBLISHER\CATEGORY\PACKAGE.unitypackage

But I agree that users shouldn't have to do this simply to update a package.

syscrusher and aloften like this.
  17. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

We'll have this fixed in our 2020.2.0b2, 2020.1.6f1 and 2019.4.11f1 releases :)

LazloBonin and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  18. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Thanks! :)

19. bbjones

bbjones

This is not fixed in 2020.1.15f1, in my case with a different paid asset.

Or perhaps the issue is just related.

The package manager DOES show the latest version, but importing it does not update the asset.

This happens in a new empty project or upgrading an existing one.

20. Darren-R

Darren-R

Not fixed in 2019.4.16f1. I had to use the fix posted by Ludiq to get my asset to install the latest version as well.

21. mfosati

mfosati

Unfortunately, it is not fixed in either 2020.1.16 or 17. Ludiq came through with a great workaround.

22. ryanvalentin

ryanvalentin

Same here, I'm on 2019.4.16f1 and the package manager does not recognize that any assets have updates. Even assets that previously showed updates no longer do. I didn't have this issue at first when I upgraded my project to 2019.4.16f1, I only noticed it happening the last couple of days, so I'm not sure if it's tied to a version.

23. JanusAnderson

JanusAnderson

Not fixed in 2020.1.16f1. Lost several hours trying to figure out why the package manager said I had the latest versions of things in my project, but I clearly didn't. Deleting the asset store cache did the trick.

Ignacii likes this.
  24. Flarup

Flarup

Can confirm this is still a bug in 2020.1.16f1.

Love that Asset Store puchases are integrated into Package Manager, but this bug is really annoying.

ArturoPP and Ignacii like this.
  25. Ignacii

Ignacii

Still in 2020.2!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  26. Muhammad-Adnan

Muhammad-Adnan

This bug still persists in 2019.4.16f1
    upload_2020-12-22_10-49-36.png

and in 2020.2.0f1 it shows that the current version is the latest version that I want (so there is no update or download button at bottom right corner) but I haven't downloaded the latest version yet.

upload_2020-12-22_10-56-29.png

When I rechecked the downloaded version it was still the old one as shown in properties

upload_2020-12-22_10-54-34.png

but the latest version is released today that is 2020-12-22 as shown on asset store

upload_2020-12-22_10-55-51.png

27. altepTest

altepTest

maybe unity hub could show a warning when I try to download a new unity versions about how "this download is pointless as there is this and that bug that will be fixed in the next version. don't waste your time, wait for the next version. Do you still want to download this, yes no cancel"

28. hardartcore

hardartcore

This issue exists in Unity v2020.2.0f1 . I've reported a bug a few weeks ago but still no comment or anything on that.
    Can't download any updated packages or anything else. Package Manager shows that the downloaded version is the latest one but it's one. Checking the unity package file's header info shows that the file is an older version of the asset (and I remember every package I updated!).

ScourgeGames likes this.
  29. Gigacee

Gigacee

Same issue here on Unity 2020.2.1f1.
    I was able to import the latest package by deleting "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" folder, restarting Unity, and downloading the package again.

30. dayjur

dayjur

Bit of a joke actually major bug should be fixed i had to delete folder as mentioned above for it to work

31. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

C'mon folks. This versioning nightmare in the Package Manager is creating hours of work for people. This is a basic feature that should work flawlessly.

This bug has existed for far too long.

ArturoPP and metaldc4life like this.
  32. JvanE

JvanE

33. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Hey folks, can I just get an update on if you are all seeing these issues? The team inform me that fixes have been deployed apart from 2019.x which should be very soon. I'd like to get an idea on if you're getting this problem still so I can go back to the team.

34. luniac

luniac

LOL i was away from unity for a year, i come back in 2021 and am back in good familiar buggy territory.
    Same issue here, i updated through the package manager and noticed the README file in the folder wasn't updated.

Using 2020.2.2f1

Guess ill use the AppData workaround for now.

35. hardartcore

hardartcore

Still not working. The package manager doesn't show that there is an available update.

36. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Are you still on v2020.2.0f1?

37. hardartcore

hardartcore

Nope, the latest version available -> v2020.2.2f1

38. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have experienced this bug as recently as 2021-01-31, on Unity 2020.2.2f1. I use a dedicated, empty project for nothing except asset download (that's actually the name of the project) to my local cache in AppData.

The workaround of deleting the .unitypackage file from the AppData cache also works for me, consistently, but that's not a very good solution because you have no way of being alerted that you need to do that.

Restarting Unity does not seem to help, nor does manually clicking the "refresh" button in Package Manager.

I also had the bug in Unity 2020.2.1 and 2020.1.x when those were current.

39. Tubbritt

Tubbritt

Also seeing this in 2020.2.0f1 and in 20201.6.f1

Regards
    James

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  40. polonel

polonel

Still an issue in 2019.4.18f1

41. digiwombat

digiwombat

Adding another to the list. I've been deleting packages so I can re-download them for a few months now and figured I should throw my voice in the pile.

How about, until the team is 100% sure it's fixed, we get an update that just leaves the download button visible and enabled and has it always grab the latest version instead of being clever with the automated detection stuff? It's a terrible UX decision to hide and disable the button in the first place as all it does is give us no recourse without navigating to AppData even if all we want to do is redownload the asset for whatever reason.

I'd like to imagine we all qualify as competent enough to know when we want to download and install something if we're already literally looking at the user interface that accomplishes that task for us.

entropicjoey1, hk1ll3r and ArturoPP like this.
  42. hardartcore

hardartcore

The issue is fixed in v 2020.2.3 , but we all know Unity's adoption rate.

43. digiwombat

digiwombat

Same, fixed for me in 2020.2.3. Still think the UX of the entire interface needs a look.

ArturoPP likes this.
  44. RichO4D

RichO4D

FYI Still occurred for me in 2020.2.4f1 . As mentioned, maybe have a download or redownload button to save having to delete the package if the bug still persists.

entropicjoey1 likes this.
  45. Jihaysse

Jihaysse

Hello,
    I'm using Unity 2019.4.2f1 Personal and can't update my package using the package manager.
    I'm trying to update Entities and Hybrid Renderer.
    https://ibb.co/KbVKmcx

Do I need to update my project to a newer version of Unity or is it a bug that I can't update the Entiites & Hybrid Renderer package?

Thank you

46. the_Whizzkid

the_Whizzkid

Similar issue: I can "Update" in 2019.4.20f1, that doesn't give any errors and doesn't udpate. The downloaded file in Windows explorer has the new date. There are 5 packages or so I can't update with the package manager.

upload_2021-2-16_19-2-54.png
    As of an empty Project with 2020.1.17f1 on the Same PC I do have the newest version downloaded.
    upload_2021-2-16_19-4-54.png

Deleting and new download works in 2019.4.20f1.
    By the way, I saw today in the 2020x, that there should be some package informations in the Inspector when clicking in the Packagemanager onto a Package of MyAssets. I remember having this seen a long time ago, may be in 2018.x in my Project. Don't know if this has anything to do with that.
    EDIT:
    Solution doesn't work. After deleting the package and "Update" (full download w/o errors) i was shown the new version only. But after refreshing, the 2.2.0 is back and I could "Update" over and over again. Yesterday i just moved the single package into another Directory and moved it back, so i guess now it's a dirty versioning. Hope there is a solution for that...

So the downloads do work, but somehow the information doesn't make it into the Versioncontrol or what ever decides if there is a new versioned download.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  47. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

So I had the same issue with Rewired and I have come to the following conclusion.

Erase everything in the AppData/Roaming/Unity/Asset Store 5.x folder. That way, it will force the Package Manager to redownload all of your assets in their latest versions.

This SHOULDN'T mess anything up in the projects... but that is my cheap workaround since the Package Manager will insist that you have the latest version and will refuse to download it again, regardless of what version you have. This is probably not the best way, but it works for the most part.

I think an easy fix would be to just let the user download the package again, regardless of if Unity thinks they have the latest version or not. It could give a warning saying "Hey it looks like you have the most up-to-date version? You sure you want to download this again?" And you can say Yes and download it anyway. There, problem solved. ... well, obverted anyhow.

48. airoll

airoll

I'm having the same problem as the_Whizzkid but I'm using 2019.4.19. I have a paid asset where whenever I try to install from the Package Manager, it installs v1.0.0, despite v1.1.0 being the latest version. I tried deleting everything in AppData/Roaming/Unity/Asset Store 5.x but it didn't work. Every time I try to install the asset it installs v1.0.0, and attempting to update the package triggers downloading the packaging and a popup saying "Decrypting..." but the asset version in my project remains the same.

49. Davidtr_Unity

Davidtr_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi folks,

The issue causing updates not to appear in the “My Assets" tab has already been resolved for most of our release lines, but it is still present in 2020.1 as I am writing this. You can follow this issue on our issue tracker.

Also, please note that it might take some time after inspecting an asset for the “Update” button to appear. Our team is aware of this, and the new optimization is currently in review. This is also documented on the issue tracker.

I hope this was helpful.

50. spoutnix

spoutnix

Hi evrybody,
    I just tried the very lasts editors, 2020.2.1f1, 2020.3.2f1, 2021.1.1f1, this VERY annoying bug is still present in ALL editors...
    Is it related in having too much packages, or with internet connection ?
    Package-Manager shows for few seconds the available updates but you don't have time to click "Update button" then it shows "up to date" icon for all packages and the Update buttons disapear...
    Time to time, Available-Update icons re-appear but for very few seconds, as soon as you try to click "update", it disapears and displays "up to date" icons for all packages again... and again... and again...
    Package Manager is useless, I am sorry to say that but it is. Do you realize how Time consuming it is to check if I have the right update in the project ? I was so happy with the browser "My Assset" pakage managment... That was so simple...

Olivier

Attached Files:

jemonsuarez, Sentrovasi and leni8ec like this.