Search Unity

Bug New package versions are shown as downloaded but I have never downloaded them.

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by HP, Dec 5, 2020.

1. HP

HP

Since Unity 2020.1.15f1, the Package Manager shows me new versions of packages, but I cannot download them because it appears to me as already downloaded.
    But I have not downloaded these new versions and the file is still displayed on my hard drive with the old date and content.
    This is also the case in Unity 2020.1.16f1.

Here is a screenshot of the Package Manager, the file on the hard drive in Explorer and the opened file in an editor with the version number in the JSON part.

This only affects the packages from the Asset Store, not those from Unity. I can still download new versions of packages from Unity.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Sabso, schmosef and Jaimi like this.
  2. milox777

milox777

Same problem, version 2020.1.16f1

3. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

Same problem here, Unity v2020.1.16 and v2019.4.16

Sabso likes this.
  4. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everybody, sorry to see you are having this problem. I've been told that this is not necessarily a bug, as the publisher of the asset package could have bumped the version without uploading an updated package asset file.

In any case, to be sure what's the case for every one of you in this thread we need as much information as possible, which package asset you are having the issue, its version, which Unity version you are using. It's probably easier if you submit a bug as in that process all the information needed is collected.

schmosef likes this.
  5. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

I've noticed problems with these 3 assets:
    • Odin - Inspector and Serializer (PM reported I already have version 3.0.2 though I never updated it. When tried to import it I got version 3.0.1 again. After few attempts I had to download and manually import this plugin)
    • Lean Pool (PR reports I have v1.3.1. When trying to import nothing changes in the project)
    • Modern Procedural UI Kit (MP reports I have v0.96.0 and doesn't allow update, though I have v0.95)

Unity 2020.1.16 currently. Though I notices same problems from v2020.1.14 I think

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    supita_unity likes this.
  6. HP

HP

It definitely also affects packages whose content has been changed and not only "bumped" if I check the changelogs.

I also sorted the packages according to update date and I could no longer download an update for all the packages above the "ANIMALS FULL PACK" package.
    I couldn't update a single package since Unity 3D version 2020.1.16f1

schmosef likes this.
  7. cyberwhip

cyberwhip

Same here... last date I was able to download an update was November 12, 2020. I'm running 2020.1.16f1, but also occured in about last 2 versions.
    Here is a list of about half the updates it says I have the latest version but I did not download: upload_2020-12-8_19-28-59.png

8. cyberwhip

cyberwhip

Also, maybe not hard evidence, but I imported Peek v1.3.2 that PM claims I have updated, when I check the version in Peek it only reports version 1.2.0. So how to now get the latest update to import? Do I delete the download from asset store directory then download fresh again?
    upload_2020-12-8_19-40-50.png

Attached Files:

9. cyberwhip

cyberwhip

ok, yes, I deleted asset from hard drive then PM let me download the fresh version and import is now up to date.
    upload_2020-12-8_19-59-46.png

10. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

Can confirm this is also happening to me on Unity 2020.1.16f1, and is extremely annoying.

11. supita_unity

supita_unity

Unity Technologies

Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot for all the information provided. This is definitely a bug, can you please submit one and post here the case number? The page detailing the bug reporting process can be found here: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Cheers,

Supi

schmosef likes this.
  12. HP

HP

I submitted a bug report.
    The case number is 1298335

Jaimi, UnityMaru and supita_unity like this.
  13. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

Any news about this? I can't update any asset from the Package Manager as it still reports that I have newest versions of everything though there are now at least 5 of them I didn't update

14. spryx

spryx

Also experiencing this. Can't update any Opsive packages.

Can we please get better regression testing for the package manager? This is a big one and shouldn't have gotten through.

Jaimi likes this.
  15. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hey there,

I can see that the bug report is there and assigned to the team so they'll respond within the report once they have an update.

16. Waterlane

Waterlane

I'm also having the same problem and I've just tried with the new tech release...
    Unity 2020.2.1f1 + HDRP 10.2.2
    e.g. Asset 'R.A.M.2019 - River Auto Material' - states the latest download is v1.4.4
    - but when I check the available files for import, compared to those listed in the package on the asset store, there are not HD10.2 files - i.e. this is NOT the v1.4.4. latest version...
    I updated to the latest tech release as that's meant to fix asset store problems, but it doesn't help.

i.e. The asset version listed in package manager, is NOT the same as the one that gets imported.
    I'm unable to import the latest asset versions :/

17. andersma

andersma

Bug present in 2020.1.17f1 too. I just saw it when I didn't get the new files changed today by the author of the asset, "Meadow Environment - Dynamic Nature". Asset version in Asset store: 2.3.4, Package Manager report 2.3.4, but file has not been changed since May and some update files that I need to update shaders for URP are still only for 7.2, even though the author have added for 10.2 today.

Same as previous writer, unable to import the latest version. :/

Waterlane likes this.
  18. HP

HP

@andersma @Waterlane As a workaround, you can manually delete the asset in the assets folder of your file system and download it again through Asset Manager to get the latest versions of the assets.
    The location of the asset folder in Windows is "C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\*plugin_developer*\*plugin_name*.unitypackage".
    I do not know whether the folder Asset Store 5.x is called the same with you, or whether it only comes from the updates since Unity 5.

[EDIT] I found the latest locations in the Unity3D Documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.2/Documentation/Manual/AssetPackages.html

macOS: ~/Library/Unity/Asset Store
    Windows: C:\Users\accountName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    JvanE and Waterlane like this.
  19. Jaimi

Jaimi

@supitaUnity - I just uploaded a package, and definitely updated the version number. The new version shows on the asset store. The Package Manager thinks it's already downloaded - but it's not. Hitting the import button imports the old version that is downloaded.

schmosef and Volchok like this.
  20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

With the release of Unity 2020.2 breaking some of our stuff we pushed a massive update before christmas.

Now we are getting people having a go at us for not insta supporting it, despite the fact that we have, and I know other publishers are all having the same problem.

This issue has resulted in a whole lot of unnecessary support requests for publishers, and a whole lot of angst for our customers.

Let's hope it is resolved quickly.

21. JvanE

JvanE

I debugged 2020.1.17f1 locally and got as far as
    UnityEditor.PackageManager.UI.AssetStoreClient.AssetStoreClientInternal.RefreshProductUpdateDetails() 
    Where this piece always returns because results is null:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. IEnumerable<IDictionary<string, object>> results = updateDetails.GetList<IDictionary<string, object>>("results");
    2. if (results == null)
    3.   return;
    I've not figured out why yet. `updateDetails` is a dictionary<string,object> and it contains 1 key "results"
    with a value of `List<IDictionary<string,object>>` with 79 entries.

The result is that the canUpdate flag of all packages stays false and the packagemanager always uses the remote package info rather than the local info when canUpdate is false.
    I'll debug some more tomorrow for fun. Let's see how close I get to the real problem.

Edit: Found it (I think).
    This line in the DictionaryExtensions:
    return dict.TryGetValue(key, out result)  ? result as T : null;
    tries to cast a "List<IDictionary<string,object>>" to an "IList<object>" which results in a null.

How to solve it? I don't know. But I hope to have saved someone at unity working on this bug some time.

In the meantime Asset creators dealing with customers who swear they are using the latest version can point them to the workaround posted by HP above.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  22. Volchok

Volchok

It doesn't help. I needed to update PUN 2 + at number 120838. The link n the Asset Store is https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/network/photon-pun-2-120838.

1. I deleted PUN 2 + (Photon folder) in the project in Unity IDE.
    2. Closed the Unity IDE.
    3. Deleted folder 120838 in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store\Cache\Images.
    4. Reinstalled PUN 2 + using Unity Package Manager.

Nothing changes. The old version was installed again. o_O

I also discussed this topic on the forum: https://forum.unity.com/threads/pun-is-not-updated-in-unity-ide-after-import-new-versions.1026532/

Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe someone has other suggestions on how to update packages now? :(

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  23. JvanE

JvanE

You deleted the wrong thing.
    You probably have a "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" folder.
    Inside there a folder based on the publisher (Exit Games?) with one or more folders of categories inside.
    In there you will find one or more files ending in ".unitypackage" That's what you want to delete.

That will make the packagemanager in unity immediately switch the icon from a "folder" icon to a "download" icon and you can then download the package, after which you can import it into your project.

schmosef likes this.
  24. bfoddy

bfoddy

Really horrible bug!

Volchok likes this.
  25. Volchok

Volchok

Yes! It helped! :):):) Thanks! :) It works as a temporary solution. :confused:

26. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Hi guys,

The development team is currently troubleshooting the issue. It might not be related to Package Manager code and could be a server issue. This is not a part of the software where automating regression test is easy to implement but we will try our best to make sure this does not come back haunting us in the future.

In the meantime, as already posted above, the workaround is to remove the cached version of the asset store package downloaded in order to discover the updated one. Thanks for posting it, guys.

Horrible bug, we are aware and agree with that

Sabso, schmosef, milox777 and 5 others like this.
  27. hbonin

hbonin

Unity Technologies

Issue #1:

The latest version you see refers to the product version of an Asset and a publisher can update the product version without uploading a new .unitypackage file.

That means sometimes you see that the version number have changed but there are no new files to download. Also, when publishers publish a new version, they could upload a new file only for newer version of the unity editor. For instance, 2D Game Kit asset store package shows latest version is 1.9.4 BUT it only applies to 2020.2.1f1 and up:
    • 1.9.4 --> 2020.2.1f1 and higher
    • 1.9.3 --> 2020.1.0f1 and higher
    • 1.9.2 --> 2019.4.0f1 and higher

Meaning a user on 2019.4.x will see 1.9.4 as an available update but will stick on 1.9.2 because it is the latest compatible package version for user's editor version.

We understand this logic is complicated and it is under our radar. We are looking into solutions to improve this experience.

Issue #2:

In the meantime, we just did a fix for new version of package shown as already downloaded when not which is in review and should land soon.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Vaupell likes this.
  28. JvanE

JvanE

That is good to hear. I'm looking forward to being rid of this bug and to seeing if I was correct in my analysis.

29. HP

HP

The behavior described does not apply to the bug. I used the latest release version of Unity3D, the packages had updates for my version of Unity3D and if I deleted these packages manually and downloaded them again, I got the update and it recognized and displayed the changes when I imported it.

Jaimi likes this.
  30. Jaimi

Jaimi

I hope the "new version package shown as alreaddy downloaded when not" you are referring to is something different than what you described. Because what you describe is NOT what is happening.
    I have only incremented the version number when I upload a package, and I delete the old packages. And Package Manager always shows the new package as already being downloaded, when it is not.

31. softak

softak

I think hbonin said, bug fix in the review and not published yet.
    As far as I understand, first part of the message was describing how it should be working, after bug fix.

32. JvanE

JvanE

33. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

*I reported it just then.

I have verified that this is a true bug nothing to do with the author because it's happened to multiple assets now. I have tested it with one asset that was a month old which Unity claimed to have been up to date. But the author had made the update just 4 days ago and I had not downloaded the asset since a month ago so how could I have the latest version?

In any case I deleted the asset from my project and from my asset store roaming folder and let the package manager download it again. This time the downloaded version was the correct updated version.

So the package manager believed that the version I had one month ago and this new version are exactly the same-haha wow. This bug is no joke.

Kronnect, r-software and Waterlane like this.
  34. Kronnect

Kronnect

This bug is very still active in Unity 2020.2.f1 a well. It's severe.

Sabso, schmosef, Ignacii and 4 others like this.
  35. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I got feedback from Unity that they are aware of it and working on it.
    I got this a few days ago so odds are Unity 2020.3 might be coming soon or a small patch.
    It's about time though for 2020.3 because 2020.2 is a month old and the bugs are pretty severe this time.

"Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch, we actually know about this issue and are tracking progress internally.

The issue should be fixed very soon, in case you still experience it here is a potential workaround:
    Remove the download from Asset Store-5.x folder and the new package version will become available to download.

Please reach out to me if I can answer any questions or be of further help.

Thanks,
    Kipras
    Customer QA Team
    "

schmosef likes this.
  36. Ignacii

Ignacii

AAAAAAAAAAAAA xD ARHHGGG. Faster please!

37. Vaupell

Vaupell

Same in 2020.2.1f1

Volchok likes this.
  38. Kronnect

Kronnect

I could try a beta which includes a fix which seems to work. Hopefully they release it soon.

Volchok likes this.
  39. manurocker95

manurocker95

I still have the same bug in 2020.1.17f1. The funny thing is I can only update opening any project in 2020.1.14f1. On any other version above that, package manager doesn't show the correct info. If I start a download from 2020.1.14 and reload package manager on .17, the package manager sets it as "downloaded" and you can try to import it, making Unity to crash x)

40. Volchok

Volchok

I still have the same bug in 2020.2.2f1. :(

41. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

42. schmosef

schmosef

43. Waterlane

Waterlane

44. HP

HP

No UnityMaru has posted it is fixed in Unity3D 2020.2.3f1 and not in 2020.2.2f1. You need to wait for next release.

schmosef and Waterlane like this.
  45. Waterlane

Waterlane

Ah ok - although thought I read different somewhere else... If I'm wrong then I'm fine to apologise and wait (at least this shouldn't be very long) .. Thanks for posting :)

... I've deleted my other post and will wait to see how 2020.2.3f1 does ;-)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    UnityMaru likes this.
  46. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

So sorry - there's so many threads on this that I knew I missed some places.

schmosef and Waterlane like this.
  47. _DS_1

_DS_1

When is the "Open folder" button coming?

48. manurocker95

manurocker95

This and "Change location". Needing a hardlink to other folder in order to change the location is absurd.

schmosef likes this.
  49. Waterlane

Waterlane

Well, 'mixed results with Unity 2020.2.3f1 so far
    First off it didn't seem to update the packages correctly, but after a restart...
    R.A.M.2019 did show the correct version and allow an updated import! (Hurrah!!)
    but... 'Forest Environment' simply wouldn't show the stated downloaded package and would only show an old package in the import window... I'm trying again in 'safe mode' and it seems to find the correct package there...
    I'll carry on and see how other packages go... ...

50. jrbourne

jrbourne

Thanks to whoever fixed this bug... seems to work now......

Volchok likes this.