Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Orbit & Nebula & Gas Giant & Galaxy - Modular Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Darkcoder, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Take your 3D space game to the next level with these collections of high detail modular background prefabs.

Cover (1).png

A collection of stunning planet backgrounds.

Cover.png

A collection of stunning nebula backgrounds.

Cover.png

A collection of stunning gas giant backgrounds.

Cover.jpg

A collection of stunning galaxy backgrounds.

SilhouetteCover.png

A collection of stunning silhouette backgrounds.

For anyone reading this, here's a useful development guide:
    1 - Build your great game using this asset.
    2 - Write a review for the asset ❤️
    3 - ???
    4 - Profit.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
  2. The11thAlchemist

The11thAlchemist

Hello. Does the orbit pack include a realistic Earth? I have SGT and downloaded the free solar pack which has a fairly decent looking earth, but I'm looking for something a little more detail, rotating and dynamically shifting clouds.

3. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

Sorry for the late reply. The Orbit pack contains planets that look like parts of Earth, but due to the way the surface detail is tiled it's not possible for it to actually render the whole globe accurately. For this, you would have to use SGT. The Earth example scene in the Solar System Pack is more of an example of how it could be rendered. If you want super high resolution then you can replace the textures with better ones. For example, THIS website has 16k public domain textures of Earth. You may need to color correct the results depending on the final result you want. There is no cloud animation system (just scrolling) in either asset. For this you would have to make your own system using one of many different techniques depending on the look you're after. I think you can even download realtime satellite data for clouds/weather somewhere, so you could use that for ultimate realism.

4. The11thAlchemist

The11thAlchemist

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated.

Darkcoder likes this.
  5. badgersandmash

badgersandmash

@Darkcoder, will you clarify your copyright status of the following assets?

I noticed that your recent packages "CW Silhouette - Modular Backgrounds" (released June 2023) and "CW Cosmos - Modular Backgrounds" (released September 2023) include the following disclaimer:
    As I'm sure you're aware, Steam will categorically reject any game that "contains art assets generated by artificial intelligence that appears to be relying on copyrighted material owned by third parties."

Even if the submitter manages to successfully lobby Valve for a review, the responsibility is on the game creator to prove they have the rights not just to this asset, but that the asset creator has the rights to all content used to train their model. Can you document copyright ownership of all training data used so these assets can be used commercially?

6. Krooq

Krooq

~~I'm wondering if there is a slider or override for the alpha of the background textures somewhere?
    I see there is an alpha texture, but I'd very much like to be able to tweak the alpha value and have it multiply/blend the texture value.~~

Nice asset as always!

[EDIT]: Nevermind about the alpha, it seems the color *value* does the trick
    I did notice also that if you do not scale the background to something large like in the examples then it plays funny with opaque textures.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  7. Krooq

Krooq

Another bit of feedback.
    Cinemachine updates at +100 execution order (yep random voodoo, gotta love it) so if you use the LateUpdate here it doesn't play nice.
    Would be worth setting the execution order of the background to something greater than 100 to accommodate this.
    I know there are like a million scenarios that could cause the late update to not play nice, but this one is probably gonna hit a big chunk of people.

8. raydekk

raydekk

@Darkcoder does any of the modular backgrounds have stars that could be customized to look like this?

upload_2024-5-24_21-28-10.png

with SGT's star surface animation/flow/sunspots/etc?

9. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

I have the same question. I emailed Carlos last Saturday with no response as yet.

I also have a problem with this package where the order of the backgrounds is different in the player to the editor in my project, basically using the skybox hides all other backgrounds in the player. I relied on the child order for rendering. I'm using 2022.3.15f1 and URP. The example projects work fine in their project.

10. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

Carlos states he uses public-domain photos with Stable Defusion and manual modifications. The Silhouette package uses Stable Defusion. It's all good there.

Steam support: "We ask that you simply continue to ensure that your game does not include illegal or infringing content, and that your game will be consistent with your marketing materials". It's not as problematic as it was indicated.

For adding your game or updating your existing game on Steam, using pre or live-generated content, you describe its use to players from within the Content Survey of your game/app.