Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Open World Inaccessible Areas, Best Approach?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by The_Nerd_Sherpa, Jan 4, 2019.

1. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

I'm creating an open world, but there are areas that I don't want the player to go. What is the most optimal way to block them?
    Use a series of planes and disable the mesh rendering?
    Use a series of cubes with box colliders and disable the mesh rendering?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You don't need to disable renderers; if you want an invisible wall, just make an empty GameObject and add a BoxCollider to it.

(But of course invisible walls are lousy game design... please try to use these only as a last resort.)

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Well the most "optimal" way would be to design the enviornmnt so they cannot get there, and not make it feel like they can. Skyrim is a good (mostly, early before later patches you could still get over the mountains sometimes) example as it surrounds the map with organic mountain flow that ensure players dont feel they are getting stiffed out of seeing part of the map.

The easiest way would be an invisible wall, but as pointed out that is really a terrible game design mechanic that shouldnt really be used

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

I think Borderlands had turrets that blasted you to bits if you exited the allowed zone? :)

TylerCode_ and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  5. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

Wouldn't that mean a bunch of cliffs and boulders etc. with mesh or box colliders? If so, that doesn't seem as optimal, each one would have to be rendered individually, as apposed to using a single collider around them.....

I probably didn't ask the question correctly... I'm going to have terrain features that will visually look like a barrier, but I dont want to have a seperate collider for each of them..... just one collider. I've only been at this for a few months and I'm trying to avoid common mistakes.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Oh. That's easy. Install ProBuilder and build collision chunks around your visual meshes, in whatever shape you need. Because it's PB, you can tweak/edit in Unity if you change the visual mesh position/size/etc :)

JoeStrout and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  7. The_Nerd_Sherpa

The_Nerd_Sherpa

Haha, thats Great, thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I have been using ProBuilder but I haven't discovered the "collision chunks" yet. I'll check it out.

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

We used the BF approuch for our game, if you leave the battlezone you have 10 seconds to go back

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Nothing too special with the "collision chunks" :) we just provide a shortcut that applies the"see through green grid" material, and disable the visual mesh at runtime. Let me know if you have any troubles!

biogicfps and TylerCode_ like this.