Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Open a point cloud

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by henabene, Feb 11, 2019.

1. henabene

henabene

Hello,

Could anyone know how to open a point cloud into Unity 2018 ?
    I'm trying to change the point cloud of a tutorial project to put mine in but it doesn't work....
    I really need help, I'm using unity for a school project and I don't know how to use it.

Thanks !

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Welcome.

If you don't know how to use Unity, there's not a ton we can do for you directly. We'd be telling you to open this window, or check out this value, and you'd be totally lost. You'd be best served by going through the tutorials and learning how to use the tool first.

3. henabene

henabene

Thank you for your answer Scheneider 21.
    I don't know how to use it well* :oops::oops:
    I did these tutorials and other tutorials found on internet, but I can't see my mistakes that prevent me to open my point cloud into Unity...

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well you've said it doesn't work. What does that mean? What part isn't working? What all have you tried? Are you getting console errors?

The more information you give us, the more we can give you.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What does "open a point cloud" actually mean? Point clouds are not standard data structures, you normally have to implement them yourself.

In practice, point clouds aren't that useful for games, we tend to prefer meshes. At best point clouds provide raw data which is then turned into a mesh for use in the game.

6. henabene

henabene

When I try to drag and drop my point cloud into the scene, I should see it on my scene but I see nothing, it says that I'm not allowed to do that.
    I have to use a point cloud, this is the point cloud file given by the teacher...

When I said that I want to open a point cloud, I mean I want to see it in the scene view.

7. henabene

henabene

8. WonderDaf

WonderDaf

Can you explain how to use? i dont find any instruction file inside zip ... please!! :)