Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Ogg Audio size getting doubled

Discussion in '5.6 Beta' started by bigbrainz, Mar 14, 2017.

1. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but we've found that all our .ogg audio file sizes are being greatly increased. For example it will list:

Original Size: 173.3 KB
    Imported Size: 355.5 KB
    Ratio 205.07%

This hasn't been an issue up through 5.5. Switching to Force To Mono or Overriding for WebGL doesn't overcome the problem--even if you crank the quality down to 1.

2. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

I found that Jonas posted that .ogg hasn't been working WebGL, but we have been and still are using it just fine. Perhaps Unity is converting it on the fly. We could conceivably re-compress all our files as mp3s, but that would be a huge pain.

3. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

It appears to be doing the same thing to mp3 files that I bring in. It imports them much larger than what they come in as--and much larger than what is practical for WebGL asset bundle sizes.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi bigbrainz,
    Quoting an internal response to your thread here:

You have to "adapt the compression ratio to match the bitrate that the source was in (something like 50%). In pre-5.0 Unity OGG/MP3 was directly used as-is, but from 5.0 and on we always transcode all audio to our internal format. In general we advise people to not use already compressed material because of this and let Unity do all the conversion."