Search Unity

[Official] New Terrain System

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by bibbinator, Jul 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

That video has been posted couple page back. Like i said, it's a myth.

2. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Oh, sorry, my bad. Forgot that Unity Team feeds their plans and just teasing the whole community. Nice way to tell about roadmap and after that make a remark that it's just the ideas :)

3. creat327

creat327

I think I saw Nested Prefabs also in Unite 2015 or 2016. But I may have been seeing unicorns, who knows. But at least nested prefabs is still into the "todo" list. Terrain was moved from: next update, to "into development" to into "research" to into "somewhere there, next to mars exploration". Basically instead of moving forward, it kept been pushed backwards.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a hard job because when you have an engine that has a massive ecosystem like asset store likely using it in all sorts of ways, you need to make moves that are future proof. I think part of the problem here is that Unity is closed source and terrain is a fundamental built in feature.

I think the solution is that terrain is NOT a fundamental built in feature but one of many optional packages you can add to Unity. This way, Unity can make a new terrain just a year after their old terrain, and break compatibility because the user chooses to use a specific package.

This is kind of happening with Scriptable Render Pipeline. They can choose to make a new pipeline asset whenever and it doesn't affect the main engine or editor but everyone benefits.

So I'm hoping this package approach will work for whatever terrain they go with as well. You know, keeping it (gasp) modular.

Nigey likes this.
  5. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i think they still focusing on improving the instancing part i guess.

6. katoun

katoun

#WeNeedNewTerrainSystem

antislash, JakubSmaga, Zullar and 2 others like this.
  7. neoshaman

neoshaman

It's coming, book of dead is part of the process

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

When is the talk about book of the dead? it's on GDC isn't?

9. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Yup.

10. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

Who are you? Derrick, I consider myself something of an expert in video game terrain (I made terrain for Mechwarrior4, Crimson Skies, Halo, Smuggler's Run, & Savage Quest, (which was great because I got to make primitive plants and trees) and, well I like to mod games and make maps for grand strategy games)

What kind of game are you trying to build or would like to build?

Spacegame with space-ship

How does terrain fit into that?

Its doesn't really, but I just love making worlds...

What use-cases, features, workflows do you have or would like to see?

deformation maps onto spheres would be nice...

richardkettlewell likes this.
  11. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

12. one_one

one_one

Is that so?

13. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

14. zenGarden

zenGarden

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  15. Flavelius

Flavelius

Those extensions are not terrain systems, they use the old unity one with its limitations and shortcomings.

dadude123 and zenGarden like this.
  16. neoshaman

neoshaman

https://twitter.com/kgordon077/status/953331629673668608
    https://mobile.twitter.com/vesseff/status/953560738139865088

Look I'm not syaing this is the terrain things, I'm saying it's one of the needed step toward it, just like:
    - proper gpu instancing
    - job system
    - Scriptable rendering
    - etc ...

Basically they are going through the prerequisite one by one, hence hwy we don't have actual news about the terrain system, what we have is the whole shebang broken in steps and requirement and these step turned into their own project. You'll have the terrain system at the end.

17. zenGarden

zenGarden

Like most tech demos, some stuff some are hacks and won't make it into Unity releases and some stay as GitHub separate downloads. I would not be surprised they use meshes for terrain :rolleyes:
    Many skilled devs can make visual plugins, but the most important is Unity to get a proper tiled terrain system, it's needed for streaming and open worlds editing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  18. neoshaman

neoshaman

Some hack did made it into full implementation like timeline, it goes both way, I'm just saying they are unrolling the prerequisite :p I still have to see how they handle streaming though, there is not even tech demo about it, but I guess it's dependent on the job system.

19. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Just a heads up, lately we've been working on terrain streaming systems and tiled terrains management from large datasets of real-world or custom elevation & imagery data suited for huge open world environments.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

A lot of people are now attacking the same problem... and without a heads up from Unity about what their intentions and the potential feature set and timeline are its a recipe for significant wasted time and money.

I have a new real time system with Gaia 2 that's driven by GPU compute as well... its lovely and fast... but without understanding where Unity is going with this I am concerned that it is just a big waste of my time.

21. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity new features work are not driven by plugins availability( cinemachine or the new visual shader editor).
    Like Probuilder, i think Unity should really consider hiring a talented guy like you :cool:

Don-Gray likes this.
  22. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

23. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

I will believe when i see it :)

Stardog likes this.
  24. Zullar

Zullar

25. MaxWitsch

MaxWitsch

I wonder if it would be technically feasible to use Sparse-Textures for terrains. For examle as Splat or Hightmap. o_O

26. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

27. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

around -1:53:00 he explain terrain update

28. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is only nested prefabs and scene fragments lol
    No new terrain announced.

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Uh yeah sorry that video was live and the time are changing :p, it's on the front just after the probuilder topic
    should be around -2:16:00 if it's not changing again :/

zenGarden likes this.
  30. AntonBertelsen

AntonBertelsen

"Terrain - In this worldbuilding context our terrain system has been a little neglected. Very pleased to annouce this is the year it gets it's major update. One of the first things we did was look at the performance of the terrain. So there are really big performance boosts there. Huge reduction in the number of GC allocations. I think like a doubling of just raw CPU performance. But more importantly we just wanted to focus on the creation. There's a longer roadmap for terrain, this is really just the first major update that we'll be doing in 2018.2. Lots of new brushes and new UX." After that he talks about Polybrush.

antislash and interpol_kun like this.
  31. zenGarden

zenGarden

About creation there is already great tools like Gaia (Gaia 2 ?), Terrain Composer 2 and some others.
    I doubt Unity will do better until they bring new terrain procedural tools like those used is open world AAA games :rolleyes:

I was not satisfied with plugins like CTS or MicroSplat about noticeable performance drop. I don't know , but perhaps some plugins like CTS, MegaSplat, RTP3 will get updates that will benefit from the new terrain improvments ?
    Or perhaps Unity will bring new terrain advanced shaders and will also get rid of the actual terrain limitations for desktop games ?

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Pretty sure it'll involve quantum or something. Can't wait til 2018.2 to find out.

33. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Did they delete the whole roadmap talk from the stream!?

Uh, no, google cached last 4 hours so we should wait for stream to stop to actually re-watch the stream.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  34. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

yep it's gone, just like the other unity central videos

35. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

What the hell, Unity? Give us that talk, oh my got!

That was more important than your whole Keynote talk, and you've deleted that?!

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

yeah, the first part of that video are pretty good talk actually. It about their roadmap for 2018 cycle

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah it's just that Unity decided to move all that to April 1st 2019.

38. lawsochi

lawsochi

what? April 1, ?? 2019? this is a joke? this is a day of laughter .... I hope you kidding and we will see changes have this year. or it is accurate information, then this is bad.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  39. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

See the whole talk for yourself. They uploaded it.

upload_2018-4-18_18-0-38.png

40. creat327

creat327

yeah, if moved to 2019 it sounds like dead before arrival. Just another year delay on top of the many years already.

41. elbows

elbows

It was just a joke, nothing has been moved to April 1st 2019.

The main thing I would note about 2018.2 Terrain improvements is that this isnt everything they have planned for terrain, its phase 1 of the new system. Especially on the editor tools side of things, it sounds like they have more planned for the future.

42. zenGarden

zenGarden

Cross terrain painting is an important feature, it looks like Unity will get tiled terrain editing and support ( something UE4 had from the start ) ?

43. dadude123

dadude123

They quickly mentioned in the video that there will be some performance improvements coming along as well?
    That's the main thing I'm concerned about.
    You can not load a scene asynchronously without a major stutter. It does that when it generates the mesh for from the heightmap. That should be pretty easy to fix though.

44. Flavelius

Flavelius

Stardog likes this.
  45. Stardog

Stardog

46. creat327

creat327

2018.2 is on beta4 and i see no terrain improvements. what was planned for .2?

47. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

This is from the roadmap talk. This is what planned for 2018.2 in terms of "World Building". They said it will be the first major terrain update (so we should get more updates after that).
    upload_2018-5-12_14-41-0.png

RendCycle likes this.
  48. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Unity Team le classique. Let's wait for another year.

upload_2018-5-13_18-25-3.png

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  49. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Who needs a new terrain system? Today I created a beautiful terrain in Unity. Yes it in no part used the built in system to make it and was quite expensive and can not be shared with my customers but it is a perfectly fine like this sentence is grammatically corect,

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  50. Flavelius

Flavelius

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.