Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Wanted: Scriptable Render Pipelines

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Tim-C, May 9, 2017.

1. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I am in SRP / Graphics land for at least a year more I think ;) But we do have some great programmers that are starting to take a closer look at terrain.... ;)

antoripa, DGordon, Ofx360 and 8 others like this.
  2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Combine some of the functionality of polybrush with a nice 2018 terrain shader for both pipelines and you have a great terrain system.

Top marks if you consult @jbooth because we all know the creator of mega/microsplat knows how to pack serious amounts of data into a shader (even free microsplat allows 16 texture splatmap, pretty sure megasplat allows 128 which blows my mind)

Honestly, if you think they are not already developing it your kidding yourself :)

Most likely its been developed for a while but is hush hush as unity seem to have really learnt lately and are only telling us about things when they are pretty certain to be released, to stop our hopes getting dashed :)

tatoforever likes this.
  3. cfree

cfree

Really?? Are you aware that you are bring us hope in a matter that we are waiting soooo hard for soooo long? :)
    Please update us on any little news ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. relativegames

relativegames

I tried the example on github with 3 2018.1 betas and neither has worked. There's errors on missing assemblies, shader errors when opening the sample scenes and I can't assign any .asset file into Settings->Graphics as the render loop as no file is identified as working as a render pipeline asset. Can't someone just upload a working project with this ?

5. Finepointcgi

Finepointcgi

if you have 2018.1b10 and in your package manager you update your packages for HD or LW depending and you update the shadergraph it should fix its self thats what did it for me.

6. glasshandstudios

glasshandstudios

Currently, I can only gain access to 2018.1b9. Is 2018.1b10 live on the site for download? Thank you!

7. relativegames

relativegames

+1 to that

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Huh? which sample scenes are you talking about?

9. relativegames

relativegames

10. Finepointcgi

Finepointcgi

This is the link i was given when i was having issues. Im not sure if its an official release but heres the link.
    Edit: its live

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    glasshandstudios likes this.
  11. glasshandstudios

glasshandstudios

12. tatoforever

tatoforever

Unity Hub already have v2018.1.0b10 ready for download.

13. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

HD use a totally different system. To write a new lighting model you need to write a fully new set of fill in a folder similar to what is done for the Lit.shader. We have no example yet for this(other than the complex Lit.shader which is too complex for a start) , nor documentation, this will come in the future.
    But expect it to not be as simple as builtin Unity. HD force coherency of lighting and material, so a new lighting model must implement support for all light type (punctual, area, reflection probe/planar probe). (Still it is ok to return 0 if you don't want to support area light).

tatoforever likes this.
  14. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report we will look at it.

15. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Not sure I understand the question. SRP is exactly that. But builtin Unity remain.

16. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Will poke our QA about it, thanks for the report

glasshandstudios likes this.
  17. glasshandstudios

glasshandstudios

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

18. f1ac

f1ac

I can't find a way to remove Camera component with HDRP enabled, HDAdditionalCameraData depends on it and is hidden, so I can't remove it too.

19. cfree

cfree

Please, how can i improve the shadows in the Sample Scene of Unity 2018 HD b10?

The default one is really bad. Thanks!

Attached Files:

20. creat327

creat327

yeah, that's the same reply I got on 2009 or 2010 I believe. Hard to remember the dates, but I remember the exact words: "yeah, we got 2 new talented programmers working on the next terrain system". And then between then and now, i even lost family members. I'm afraid I may be next before a new terrain system will come out.

5argon, antey3094, adslitw and 2 others like this.
  21. tatoforever

tatoforever

@creat327
    You should not rely on "uncertain upcoming features" unless you really see some real work in progress. I've also been there "we are working on this and that", nothing new.
    Personal advice, either try to find solutions (create your own, asset store, other engines, etc) or design your project around current limitations. Indefinitely waiting will only create more frustration.

I don't want to derail this thread, let's keep it on topic (we can move to the terrain thread if you want to discuss more about it). :cool:

22. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I won't say anything official but there should be some announcements coming in the next few months.

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Btw any news about the HD optimization part?
    - light/shadow fade distance, free from GPU rendering but still computed by CPU
    - Per Object Shadow Receive/Cast, in legacy deferred shading all object always receive/cast shadow

Walter-Hulsebos likes this.
  24. Mlackey

Mlackey

From what you know, how might the new terrain system affect current plugins such as Gaia?

25. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

We are aware of this problem and have provide a fix in beta-1.1.1 (not out yet I think). You will have a Remove HDCamera on the component in addition to RemoveComponent

26. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

>- light/shadow fade distance, free from GPU rendering but still computed by CPU
    No progress yet. Sadly the time spend to release this experimental HD for 2018.1 have it all the bandwith to solve this problem. No promise, but next slot is for 2018.3 or later. And be sure this problem is really a concern for us.

>- Per Object Shadow Receive/Cast
    Why cast? This is supported
    For receive not supported currently for various reasons, there is various tradeoff here that we discuss internally, no decision yet.

27. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

ah well, no worries. at least i know this is need to be solved to reduce cpu overhead.

Well might be usefull for lod to completely remove mesh from shadow buffer rendering

28. iBicha

iBicha

I know this new system trying to revamp rendering from the ground up, and break away from the legacy rendering, I'm just saying, to get a smoother transition, maybe we can have a Legacy rendering support checkbox in the Pipeline Asset settings. At least for a couple of releases of Unity, before deprecating it once and for all. I know a few fellow game developers who did not upgrade Unity for YEARS because "it broke their project" or "the models are all pink", and depending on the size of the project, or the technical skills of the developers, some people can't afford to upgrade, and this would hurt the adoption of the newer versions of Unity. So making the transition smoother by supporting legacy rendering at first, until it's time to kill it. Just my $.02

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Just set the Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings in the Graphics Settings to Empty to stay in legacy

30. elbows

elbows

If you get the pipeline from github (rather than package manager) then there are loads of sample scenes.

You can also get just those scenes from github at this link, though I havent actually tried this myself: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipelineData

31. Giles-Coope

Giles-Coope

I can't run the profiler in my project with the Lightweight Render Pipeline on as it crashes with

"Non matching Profiler.EndSample (BeginSample and EndSample count must match): After Camera Render"

I do not call any Profiler methods from my code and the problem goes away if I use the legacy render. I can't reproduce this from the template though... any ideas?

32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

The Master branch normally not compatible with the current public beta release

33. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

That's not the SRP Master branch, its a separate repository with the asset files from the main SRP repository without the main SRP stuff included, so just (models, textures, scenes, scripts, etc)

34. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Well not sure how unity set up their repo, i assume that repo are in synced with the SRP repo. and yep you right it's not the SRP repo, but the content are the same as in the SRP repo afaik (the SampleScenes and TestbedPipeline folder).
    Edit : I mean from the released version
    Edit Again : Just Tested that repo it worked fine for me, no error or anything

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  35. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

As a receiver you don't remove anything, it is just that you can avoid to sample shadow map.

36. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

This should be fixed on github now. Thanks for the report

37. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

I just read the latest blog about the HDRP. Does anyone know when will the system be stabilized?

1) When will HDRP be finished
    2) When will volumetric lights and physically based camera be added?
    3) New terrain system must be in designs
    4) What else? When will the engine be complete for the new generation?

38. elbows

elbows

I'm pretty sure they arent going to be pinned down to particular timescales on most of this. It's pretty easy to imagine a lot of ongoing work carrying on for years to come. There is little doubt that 2018 is a big year on many fronts, with many new parts of the system arriving in relatively early form and likely to undergo evolution over the 2018.x cycle and beyond.

It's now so close to the GDC keynote that is likely to give us some more roadmap detail and clues, so thats when I next expect to learn something new, but I dont expect precise timescales on HD pipeline features.

Liminal-Ridges and chiapet1021 like this.
  39. konsic

konsic

40. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

This is a mistake that belong to me. And I publicly apologies for it. The image should have been removed now, it is not related to the post.

41. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Im thinking that for someone that plans to do an AAA graphics game might Unity not be good yet. Not until the new essentials arrive atleast.

42. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

isn't there a skybox fog blending in HDRP already? similar to naughty dogs fog?

43. IgnisIncendio

IgnisIncendio

If the HD rendering pipeline is going to be targeting high end PCs and consoles, wouldn't that mean that a good other chunk of games like VR, mobile and web games be "forced" to use the LW rendering pipeline?

That worries me a lot, as the LW pipeline is said to be a subset of the current Unity renderer. Being a VR developer, I'm not sure that I would want to upgrade, if upgrading will essentially be a downgrade instead, especially since I'm already doing fine with the current renderer. I have to say, looking at the new HD features (like decals? not sure if it's in LW) while not being able to use them in my VR project does make me a bit envious.

Are my worries justified? It just seems like the LW rendering pipeline will put people off upgrading because no one wants to downgrade their project, especially with HD being supposedly restrictive in its target platforms. I don't think scripting the LW pipeline will work either, since most people probably can't plug HD features into LW by themselves without some graphics programming knowledge.

Edit: Just seen that VR is on the roadmap for HD, that's great! I'm still not sure how one would convince mobile devs to downgrade their graphics though.

44. elbows

elbows

To answer the last question - by not looking at it as a downgrade, but rather one of those tradeoffs, some gains and some losses. eg if it performs loads better but has a couple of missing features, then how much does the particular developer care about performance vs those particular features?

Also I believe the idea is that the LW and HD pipeline are examples provided by Unity, but they expect some people to build their own, and I kind of expect some people to offer their modified or completely bespoke pipelines to other Unity developers. I doubt anybody really knows how this will actually turn out, or at what pace. But we can already see some responses from Unity that indicate the level they want to set their own LW pipeline at, and how they envisage that some features considered slightly beyond the scope of their standard LW pipeline are best added by someone else. No doubt there is almost infinite potential for disagreement about exactly where the LW limits should be set, and people are going to appeal for stuff they need to be included. Maybe sometimes it will happen, but as someone who is mostly reliant on others for graphics programming I think I will need some eager 3rd parties to help out with my own pipeline needs on many of these occasions.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I expect there will be optimisations to come yet if high end mobile or VR HD is supported.

46. Invertex

Invertex

LW seems more like "current Unity graphics" but optimized, so it's an upgrade in performance without losing much. Whereas HD is a big upgrade over existing.

47. tatoforever

tatoforever

@IgnisIncendio,
    I'm currently extending LW beyond it's current limitations to suit better that middle ground. Omni directional shadows, optional pre-pass rendering (optionally using the alpha buffer == zero overhead) making it compatible with current screen depth-based effects and more.
    This will make it more suitable for VR and low end device hardware while having similar features to current Forward renderer (but with the advantage of everything running in one pass).

48. Nexusmaster

Nexusmaster

49. konsic

konsic

What is the difference in lighting in Unity 2017 compared to Unity 2018 Lightweight Render Pipeline ?

50. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    not sure if is my fault or a current limitation, but it seems that there isn't proper default terrain shader with the SRP HD
    When will we able to render unity terrain using the SRP HD ?

antey3094 likes this.