Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Occlusion still with some problems, it seems...

Discussion in 'Developer Preview Archive' started by PolyMad, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Demostenes

Demostenes

Exactly. And Umbra is meant especially for bigger and huge scenes, where some composing is usually must. There is almost no point in using umbra for some small games.

2. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Especially since we can easilly create asset bundles out of scenes too, scene compositing is a real charm in Unity.

I'm also bumping this.

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

I'm trying to get an overview of existing occlusion bugs from the developer preview so that we can focus attention in that direction.

Can you please post bug numbers here. The bugs should have:
    -A reproduction project
    -Steps leading to where the issue is being experienced
    -Be created with the latest unity version

Thank you.

4. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

No outstanding bugs?

5. gecko

gecko

Case 434881 -- I haven't heard anything back on this, which was based on b6 and earlier. I just tried it again in b7, and I get the same problems, except no error message when the bake fails (which always happens after a single successful bake--well, successful in that it finishes a bake). Now I just get a note at the bottom of the OC panel: "No occlusion data has been baked", nothing in the console at all anymore.

And with that first successful bake, I have the same problem as reported in the bug: the OC does a very poor job of disabling occluded objects.

6. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Cool I've forwarded this on.

7. l0cke

l0cke

I was testing OC on latest Unity. It simply does not work, according to visualization only frustrum culling works, baked culling does almost NOTHING. It occludes for example 10 objects instead of 100. I am staying in the midle of city and almost everything is rendered. No matter of cell size/settings. And framerate is cca 2-5x lower than without it.
    Second problem is, that with OC on scene is crashing out of memory in 5-10 seconds of run, so much more often then usually (scene is complex and our project is huge).

Even deleting baked oclusion did not help to, I had to delete scene file and restore it from backup to get rid of crashing and slow speed. Was OC ever tested on some really complex scene? I mean with hundreds of different objects...

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. cannon

cannon

Occlusion culling does work. I have seen it fail in some cases though, where it occludes far too much. We solved the problem by minimizing what we set as static.

It could be that there's some specific geometry that's screwing it up. We've also had static batching fail spectacularly (wrong UVs) with some geometry (that I believe had non-lightmap compatible UVs). It might have been the same geometry that was causing occlusion to fail (unlikely) but I haven't really had time to trace it.

Addendum: It could also be that Unity's occlusion culling is rather poor with city scenes. I'm not sure how it handles partial occlusion of cells; the buildings might need additional cuts to better fit the cells?

9. l0cke

l0cke

Ok, so having drastically lower framerate and out of memory crashes to cca 5-10 seconds after run is "working"?

"It could be that there's some specific geometry that's screwing it up"

I doubt, but lets assume that yes. Then I expect requirments on geometry in documentation + tool, which can check, if geometry is OK. Anway I was testing it with 2 objets (house + vase) and it does not work too. Vase behind house was always rendered no matter of settings. And I got it working on Unity 3.0 (it was possible to bake small scenes), so I know how to set it up. Since that rewrite which increased speed of baking it stopped working.

10. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Demostenes, our CTO offered to look at your project and gave his personal email address in this thread. You can either keep complaining or actually take some action to try and get your problems fixed. Which option sounds more productive to you?

11. Majestic

Majestic

Could you post this simple scene here? i am rather interested to see what's happening. :D