Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

NWH Vehicle Physics 2

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by NWHCoding, Apr 8, 2020.

?

What would you like to see implemented next?

Poll closed Feb 12, 2023.
  1. FMOD sound module

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Tracked vehicles

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Softbody wheels

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. Something else (mention in the thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

LogoWithBg.png

NWH Vehicle Physics 2 is a complete vehicle simulation package for Unity game engine. Realistic, easy to use and heavily customizable.​

Main Features
    • Easy and fast to set up with all the defaults loaded automatically and validation system that warns the developer about any setup issues.
    • Modular vehicle architecture. Enable or disable parts of the vehicle as they are needed, either manually or through the in-built LOD system.
    • Powertrain solver that features excellent performance, stability and physical accuracy.
    • All aspects of the vehicle are adjustable at runtime - including suspension, friction, gearing, powertrain, etc.
    • External module system. Add or remove functionality as needed. Modules are easy to write and can modify almost any part of the vehicle behavior.
    • Wheel Controller 3D (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/wheel-controller-3d-74512) is included and used instead of WheelCollider. It offers ground detection along the whole bottom half of the wheel, it is highly customizable and uses an advanced friction model.
    • Per-wheel surface detection. Different friction curves, sounds and effects for each surface.
    • Easily extendible interface based input system with support for standard Unity input, Unity's new Input System and mobile controls out of the box.
    • Custom editors for all scripts make navigation through the asset easy. For this we developed NUI, an editor GUI framework, to keep the visual experience through the whole asset consistent.
    • Support for 'Photon Unity Networking 2' and 'Mirror' multiplayer solutions.
    • Highly optimized code runs on both desktop and mobile devices. Desktop demo uses under 0.5ms of total CPU time per frame for all vehicles combined.
    • Everything seen in the demos is included in the package.
    • Full C# source code included. http://nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/ScriptingReference
    Physics Features
    • Model based on inertia, torque and angular velocity ensures realistic behavior in all conditions. E.g. vehicle can be started by rolling it downhill, given that it has ignition and the clutch is engaged.
    • Drivetrain solver runs at multiple steps per FixedUpdate ensuring immediate response and physical accuracy, while heavily optimized code makes it very fast.
    • Output of individual drivetrain components can be set to any other component, e.g. connecting clutch directly to the wheel is possible.
    • Engine with adjustable power curve, losses, rev limiter, forced induction (turbocharger or supercharger) and simulated fuel consumption (module). Engine can be stalled. Support for ICE and electric engines/motors.
    • Clutch can be either manual or automatic, with adjustable slip torque and engagement. Releasing the clutch too fast will stall the engine.
    • Transmission can be Automatic, Automatic Sequential, Manual, CVT or External. Realistic gear ratios with adjustable shifting behavior make it suitable for any type of vehicle. Shift duration, variable shift points, incline effect, etc. are all adjustable at runtime. Supports unlimited number of forward and reverse gears.
    • Differentials - Open, Locked, VLSD, HLSD or External. Any number and configuration of differentials is possible, be it FWD, RWD, AWD, 6×6, 8×8, etc. Due to solver using sub-stepping locked differentials can be extremely stiff.
    • Wheels and Suspension are handled by WheelController3D which not only gives them 3D ground detection but also makes them adjustable in all the ways possible. Spring and damper curves with bump and rebound damping, adjustable spring curves for progressive suspension, camber, anti-squat geometry, rim offset, inertia, drag, surface friction presets using modified Pacejka or completely custom curves, individually adjustable longitudinal and lateral friction, load/grip curve, adjustable ground detection resolution, etc.
    • Axles - each axle can have one or more wheels. Each axle has adjustable steering (steer coefficient, Ackerman, toe angle), adjustable brake and handbrake strength, caster and camber angles and also ARB (Anti-roll bar). Solid axles are supported, check Monster Truck example in the demo.
    • Simulated aerodynamic drag and downforce.
    Effects
    • Damage affects vehicle performance and handling. Optimized queue-based mesh deformation that spreads processing over multiple frames.
    • Sound system with master settings, AudioMixer and 15 different sound effects. AudioSources are set up automatically at runtime and no manual setup is required. Positional audio.
    • Persistent, surface dependent, procedural mesh skidmarks.
    • Vehicle lights with low beam, high beam, tail and brake lights and blinkers supported. Can be used with any number of lights of any type and/or emissive materials.
    • Surface particle effects that are set up automatically and depend on the surface type.
    • Exhaust smoke and exhaust flames.
    Modules
    • External module system makes adding extra functionality to the fast and easy, with the code being similar to that of a typical MonoBehavior with familiar functions such as Update() and FixedUpdate().
    • Following modules are included, with more to come:
      • ABS
      • Aerodynamics
      • Cruise Control
      • ESC
      • Flip Over
      • Fuel
      • Metrics
      • NOS (boost)
      • Rigging
      • Speed Limiter
      • TCS
      • Trailer
      • Trailer Hitch
    Compatibility
    Officially compatible with:
    • Complete Terrain Shader (CTS)
    • IK Driver Vehicle Controller
    • Mirror
    • Photon Unity Networking 2
    Notes
    Support
    If you have any questions, problems or suggestions you can contact us here.
    Basic support is included in the price of the asset and we answer within a few hours.

SocialMediaImage.png

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Asset will be available as soon as it is approved by the Unity Asset Store.

Videos:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'm confused about the explicit mentioning of compatibility with a terrain shader, which imo shouldn't matter. So I'm thinking it might not work with others. I prefer MicroSplat, is Vehicle Physics 2 compatible with MicroSplat as well? What are the criteria / features for being compatible?

The Monster Truck and Tatra videos look amazing, must have!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    kinigeugfrwib likes this.
  4. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I mention it because a lot of people asked about it and the author of CTS included a compatibility option for that reason.
    The only requirement is that the splat maps get assigned on the Terrain itself since that is what is used.
    It is explained in more detail here: http://nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/NWH/VehiclePhysics2/GroundDetection/GroundDetection

kinigeugfrwib, GLID3R82 and Rowlan like this.
  5. SmartLogician

SmartLogician

Hello,

When Vehicle Physics 2 will be available on AssetStore????

6. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

NWH Vehicle Physics 2 is available on the Asset Store.
    Existing customers get 50% off.

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Awesome! Does it come with all the cars in the screens, especially that Tatra?

8. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Yes, everything that can be seen in the demos is included.
    In fact the screens, demo and the demo scene provided are identical (minus the Standard Assets trees).

kinigeugfrwib and Rowlan like this.
  9. Freznosis

Freznosis

Congrats on the release. It's been a long time coming ;)

I couldn't see the asset on your store page so I was wondering what's going on, but the asset store link works fine. I guess it just takes a while to show up.

10. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Asset Store is using caching which updates each X hours. So until the next cache refresh it will be invisible to the search.

11. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have just done a test import in 2018.4 and 2019.3. There should be no warnings or messages on import besides a single "Check winding failed" which is a mesh import message and shows only on the first import.
    If you get any other messages please send me a message at the email in the signature.
    Note that upgrading while NVP1 is present in the scene might cause problems because there are some materials and objects with the same name, but still are not the same. The scripts should upgrade fine because they are using NWH.VehiclePhysics2 namespace.

12. Mixa1985

Mixa1985

Hello!
    Congraduations with this release.

I got confused in the plans for updates (free or paid and so on) reading the forum NVP1, so I mean a few questions :)

1) Will be added the presets for vehicles such as motorcycles and tanks?

2) If the answer to the first question - yes, so will be they included in this package or will be added as separate paid modules?

3) Any roadmap for this asset or maybe your new assets?

Thanks.

13. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Hello,
    yes, there were a few changes during the development.

1) Yes. But presets for this are not enough and there will be modules as each of those needs some additional functionality. I.e. motorcycle behavior is quite different from a car, it needs to balance itself, etc. Motorcycle module is already in the development.

2) They will be sold as separate modules for a price of around 10 USD. The support for motorcycles and tanks will be much better than in NVP1 since they will be more of a mini asset with additional documentation, features, etc.

3) Smooth out all the bugs as soon as possible while developing the new modules is the roadmap. I can not give any ETA at this point in time. Expect the updates to roll out every few days in the beginning.

kinigeugfrwib and Mixa1985 like this.
  14. nemeth-regime

nemeth-regime

Bought it straight away, looking forward to using it. I read on I think the older VP1 forum that you will be releasing a ffb wheel module at some point for VP2. Do you have a rough estimate on when we could see this released?

Thanks

15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Great asset, bought it instantly and had a lot of fun with it yesterday

I wish you could integrate the vehicles from VP1 as well, especially Tank and Monster Truck. I should try myself to convert though, but it would be an easier start for everyone to have them set up as prefabs and you can just drag them into your project and drive.

Oh, and since I was using it in my scene you could add MicroSplat and MicroSplat Trax to the Compatibility list.

Edit: I recreated the scene quickly from scratch, so here's a rough making-of:

Note: The jumping car was my fault. I totally forgot to apply the Physics Settings and Timing changes as described in the Quick Start documentation of NWH Vehicle Physics 2. Apologies for that!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  16. Recon03

Recon03

What was added from the first version of NWH... , to the new version. Just wondering what are the new things added from the old.

You can use any model ....

Looks like he added a quick start.. Just pull the FBX 's (Models) out of the first version and use with his quick start.( Problem solved)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  17. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The list is quite long and the features page lists most of it, but about 70% of the code is new.
    - Pretty much a complete rewrite of (nearly) all scripts with massive improvements to the performance.
    - Completely new physics solver for drivetrain. This has been written from ground up and took over two months to get it to where it is now.
    - Modular approach, check: http://www.nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/NWH/VehiclePhysics2/VehicleComponent
    - External modules
    - LOD System
    - 100+ custom editors and drawers.

And the list goes on. Check http://www.nwhvehiclephysics.com. You can see all the components making up NVP2 and compare for yourself.

18. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

19. Recon03

Recon03

ya I seen all the features, I just didn't know what was added vs the new one. Been a little while since I used the first version.. I bought it awhile back when you first released it. anyways Thanks for the info and update.

FYI: would be good to have a comparison list. for easy access, this would help sales too.

I made one for GAIA pro, when it first came out. to give them a hand, it was pretty useful to users. This way it can make a better decision on to upgrade or not. ( Just a thought) I recommend to others making new assets (upgrades)

Anyways, looks cool either way. Nice work man.

as an example ( https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/) FYI not promoting this, just using it as an example. ( I do UX/UI work, and we do a lot of this stuff to help users to they can decide .better. /cheers

20. iichiversii

iichiversii

What happened to the free upgrade?
    It was mentioned that previous costumers would receive a free upgrade, I do not see this option at all.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    firstuser, Recon03 and kinigeugfrwib like this.
  21. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

You are correct. There was a discussion about that here.
    It ended up being more of a new asset than an update - which it was initially supposed to be, taking over half a year to develop. Therefore I decided to make it a paid upgrade since.
    Still, existing customers get 50% off. Sorry about the confusion.

22. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

A small update is on the way to fix some of the teething issues:
    - Lateral friction can rubber-band when sliding sideways with brakes applied and velocity near 0.
    - Namespace issues in the archived packages (multiplayer mainly) due to last minute namespace refactoring which left those scripts with old namespace .
    - Skidmark can be drawn after the wheel abruptly leaves the ground due to "wheel.IsGrounded" flag being cached in FixedUpdate and effects being drawn in LateUpdate.

kinigeugfrwib, Rowlan and Freznosis like this.
  23. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

Hey, quick question about the vehicle values. The spring max force is in N/m and is set to a value of around 17,000 N/m on the sports car prefab. I've been looking at other games such as Forza Horizon 4 and Dirt 2.0 to try and replicate their suspension/damper feel and noticed they use a Spring Rate value (in N/mm) instead of a Max Force value. Because of the difference in values, I'm guessing these values aren't equivalent? If not, how do I calculate the spring rate in NWH Vehicle Physics?

upload_2020-4-27_22-55-40.png

24. Freznosis

Freznosis

It's just simply Newton meters and Newton millimeters. A meter is 1000 millieters so you would just multiply the value of N/mm by 1000. So for example, in that screenshot, 15 N/mm * 1000 = 15,000 N/m

kinigeugfrwib and NWHCoding like this.
  25. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

That is correct. There were two reasons for using max force instead of N/mm:
    - It works much better with progressive springs. Note that WC3D has a spring force curve.
    - It is easier to eyeball the values since max force is not spring length dependant.

26. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

Ah but if I multiply 80.87 N/mm (as in the Dirt 2.0 image) by 1000 I get a Max Force of 80,870 N/m which is an insanely stiff spring value in NWH Vehicle Physics, so I don't think it's an equivalent value?

27. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Actually, no. Because your spring travel is most likely not one meter. So:

80,870 [N/m] * 0.3 [m] = 24,261 [N]

Assuming your spring travel is 0.3 meters.

28. kjiforouter

kjiforouter

When I create a vehicle with Instantiate, Input is not work. Why is this?

29. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

What input provider are you using?
    As long as you have one in the scene and the input is enabled on that vehicle, it should work fine.
    To check if it is enabled select the vehicle and go to input tab. It should have green "Enabled" written there.

Also, is it working normally when you drag it into the scene manually before the play mode?

30. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Thanks for the amazing work, do you plan to add an wizard for adding vehicles?

31. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

There is a wizard. It is called "Vehicle Setup Wizard". Add it as a component to the vehicle you want to set up.
    The video "Setting up a vehicle in under 30 seconds" was made using this script.
    But now that you mention it I realized it is not mentioned in the docs.

32. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Thanks, yeah i didn't watched the video :-/ Now i know what i should do at first.
    Is it also possible to get rid of the InputProvider? I want to make an online race game and i dont need the Provider on the server side

33. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

InputProvider is exactly what it says - it takes input from the user and passes it on to the vehicles. You are free to remove it, just note that in that case the vehicles will not receive input on the server side (if you do not set it manually).
    More about input here: http://nwhvehiclephysics.com/doku.php/Setup/Input, should clear some things up.

34. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Thank you, got it

35. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

Thanks, thought I was missing something. However its still off a bit... the value in Dirt 2.0 is medium stiffness for a gravel set-up. A stiffness of 24,261 in NWH Vehicle Physics would be a very stiff spring, not suitable for gravel (For comparison, the sports car is a spring stiffness of 17,000). So something is off value wise but I'm not sure what

36. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

The spring stiffness is only one half of the story. Try reducing damper bump and rebound forces. You can have the softest springs in the world combined with stiffest dampers and you would have one hell of a stiff ride, it is just that the ride height would be atrocious.

37. Guacamolay

Guacamolay

Hey, thanks for the replies! It's not about the performance of the vehicle - my dampers seem to work well with the vehicle - I'm just wondering about the difference in values between what's in the asset (where 17,000 is a stiff spring for asphalt) and in games like Dirt (Where 24,261 is medium stiffness and used for gravel).

38. SapphireHD6970

SapphireHD6970

Hi,

I have a question regarding disabling the WheelController.
    I want to have the wheels of my cars destroyable by collision, which works fine so far. When a wheel is destroyed by damage, I tried to go about that by disabling the WheelController script, so no forces are calculated or applyed. This works fine as well, but when the car is repaired, I re-enable the WheelController scripts again, and the car starts flipping uncontrolled thought the air. I assume, this is because the spring force is applyed, altough the car is in the air at this moment.

Anyway, how would you suggest to go about temporarily disabling the WheelControllers? I couldn't find a function or a property for this, what do you think is the best way?

Thanks for the help in advance, apart from that the asset is super awesome and works great. Will leave a meaningful 5 star review soon.

39. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Uh, that is not the expected behavior.
    I am working on an update the whole day tomorrow (it is getting late today) so will investigate and get back to you.

40. SapphireHD6970

SapphireHD6970

Sure thing. I wouldn't count on it, to just be an error in your asset, maybe it is an unfortunate inference between my repairing module and the asset. I will try to make a small project where the bug is reproducable to send it to you, in case it gets hard to find the reason for the behaviour. I'll get back to you when I have something reproducable.

41. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Hey, i just have an question, it's maybe more an physics question than to your asset.
    I want to add client side prediction to my game, to get better collision support. To archieve this you need to create seperate scenes for each player, to be able to predict.

If i create a new scene (and load it additive) for my player, the wheels dont detect the ground, but when i create an large cube(as ground) on the main scene, the wheels detect it.

Manual created cube on the player scene:

Manuel created cube on the main scene (the car jumps randomly):

42. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

It is hard to debug this remotely and a repro scene would be great but check that "Queries Hit Backfaces" and "Queries Hit Triggers" under Project Setings > Physics is disabled. Also, try running the car without multiplayer and see if it jumps, could be an issue with the multiplayer side of things.

43. kjiforouter

kjiforouter

When calling VehicleModule's Method Enable () from the outside, Enable () is called twice, so to prevent this, need to use IsEnable to change it to true. so i think need to change Enable () from public to protected. or need another solution

NWHCoding likes this.
  44. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

I have just solved this and will publish with v0.9.1 release.

On the side note, I have moved the TODO list to Trello so it is easier to keep track of the existing bugs:
    NVP2 Trello board (public)

45. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

As requested a lot by the customers I have just opened a Discord server for NWH Vehicle Physics. Click here to join.
    Also, changelog has moved to Trello. Click here to view.

GLID3R82, Freznosis and Guacamolay like this.
  46. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Version 0.9.1 has just been submitted to the Asset Store and is waiting for approval.

Changes:
    - Fixed vehicle resorting to low speed slip calculation too early.
    - Fixed some archives use old namespace.
    - Fixed Enable() getting called twice on VehicleComponent.
    - Fixed two audio listeners being active in the scene for a frame when exiting a vehicle.
    - Solid axle does not adjust camber while vehicle is inactive.
    - Vehicle flies into the air when WheelController is re-activated after being inactive for some time.

Freznosis likes this.
  47. ashul

ashul

Hi,

I just bought NWH Vehicle Physics 2. I had the first one purchased just a couple of weeks ago. I delete the old one from my project and imported the new one but I have tons of errors for the SoundManager. I made sure to include everything on the import so is something missing? Thanks! upload_2020-4-30_19-16-42.png

48. Freznosis

Freznosis

You have a conflicting script. Look for another script in your project called SoundManager.

ashul likes this.
  49. ashul

ashul

Yep! That did it! Can't believe I missed that. Thank you!

50. NWHCoding

NWHCoding

Glad you got it solved. I immediately went to check if SoundManager has the correct namespace (NWH.VehiclePhysics2) and it does, but I guess it could not differentiate between which SoundManager to use since your SoundManager is probably not in a namespace.