Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

NoesisGUI : XAML-based User Interface [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sfernandez, Jul 23, 2013.

1. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, there are two parts in the documentation where you can find this information. First, in the main page of the documentation there is a link to the class hierarchy of NoesisGUI listing all the classes implemented. That can give you an idea of what subset is implemented. And the tutorial dedicated to Blend (Using Microsoft Expression Blend with NoesisGUI) comments whats elements are available in NoesisGUI (controls, panels, shapes, behaviors, ...).

Hope this help

2. Mikie

Mikie

Sorry to bother you some more. I did get the trial. Can I load the XamlPlayer with the trial version? If so how. Thanx.

3. jdesantos

jdesantos

Of course you are not bothering. For the XamlPlayer you need the SDK, we dont have trial for the SDK for now, but I have given you access to download it from our forums. Tell me if it doesnt work.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  4. Mikie

Mikie

Don't see link for the download of the sdk. I can't login to the forum.

5. jdesantos

jdesantos

I activated your account today because I think that the confirmation email was marked as spam. What is the problem when you log in? What is the error?

6. Mikie

Mikie

I didn't look in the spam directory, my bad. I just loaded the Unity 4 sample. Ran the player and looks good. So now will the trial kind of work?

7. Techdread

Techdread

I have downloaded your Unity Trial from the website, it looks impressive but some of the examples especially the control sample run very slow.
    on my computer it also unstable crashing me out of Unity regularly. I am interested in testing this on mobiles can you compile an apk with the control demo scene please.

I will buy this to add to my growing collection of GUI frameworks.

8. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

I'm interested in hearing about mobile performance as well... is it suitable for relatively simple mobile GUI implementations, speed-wise?

9. jdesantos

jdesantos

Not sure to understand you. Did you successfully downloaded the SDK from our forums? Is the trial working right for you?

10. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This look like an interesting alternative to scaleform.

11. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Even scaleform isn't in the same league as this at all really. Being niec comparing scaleform to this is comparing flash to WPF, and flash is a toy next to WPF.

12. jdesantos

jdesantos

I am interested in knowing the hardware you are using and what crashes are happening. Would you mind register at our forum and start a thread about this?

I am going to give you access to a new trial that is able to generate mobile standalones. Anyway, the Control Demo Gallery is not designed to be used on mobiles.

Thanks!

13. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, NoesisGUI is designed to be fast on mobiles. Although some of our examples are yet not ideal for mobiles. Those demos were used when NoesisGUI run only in desktop. Apart from that, the performance can still be improved (and will be).

We are working in all these issues. If you need a trial more advanced than the one we are giving, just contact me.

Thanks.

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Umm... well... this looks like all kinds of awesome.

15. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Now unity can save some cash stop funding the new GUI !-_-! :)

16. jdesantos

jdesantos

We have amazing plans for Unity (eg: visualization without hitting PLAY, editor integrated inside Unity). If the community believes in our product and uses it we will continue improving it.

17. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Aye scraping the external player making it in-unity would be a good thing, embeded xaml editor with immediate preview would be nice.

18. yung

yung

jdesantos: I am still honestly not getting what you mentioned yet, but I am particularly keen on the projection to 3D part, as that's something I am still researching how to do in Unity.

I will try out the trial and give it a proper test.

Thanks for the explanation! Appreciate it

19. jdesantos

jdesantos

Do you need more information? May be my explanation was a little bit superficial. What are the parts you are not getting?

Thanks!

20. Zeblote

Zeblote

21. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Damn that's weird, i know about RTL languages but i've never seen a RTL vertically flipped unclipped language up untill now!
    More seriously this looks really weird lol, looks like it needs some international testing!

22. Zeblote

Zeblote

I just opened the default example, the whole thing appears to be flipped vertically and the scrolls don't clip off the scrollable content

What am I doing wrong

23. jdesantos

jdesantos

Hi,

There is a bug when Deferred Lighting is enabled and DirectX renderer is active. We are working to solve this issue. While we solve it, you can disable deferred lighting or switch to OpenGL.

24. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Is it the clipping bug you're refering to? Because i get the clipping issue too but i definately don't get the weird flipping text myself.

25. jdesantos

jdesantos

Nope. That is a different problem. Your clipping problem is probably because Unity is not activating the stencil in the Viewport surface. We have to investigate it. For now, we have been unable to repro it. Please could you report it in our forums? Does it happens when generating a standalone executable?

26. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Haven't had time yet but my bug is on 8.1 preview with forced drivers that aren't compatible with my card so yea, i won't waste your time with a byg report unless someone else reports the same issue as it likely is on my side:)
    I'll check standalone when i wakeup.
    You should turn the other bug in a feature, Noesis - alien hyeroglyph edition? :)

27. Zeblote

Zeblote

Okay, that fixed the flipping issue, but now there is another problem, the scrollable content doesn't clip off correctly.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/6964/2n0k.png

I tried this with both 4.2.0 and 4.1.5, it appears to be new in 4.2.0 because there are no clipping issues if I open it in 4.1.5.

28. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, this is the problem ronan is talking about. Something changed in Unity with respect to the stencil buffer that is causing troubles to NoesisGUI. We are investigating it.

29. Zeblote

Zeblote

Okay, I guess I'll have to wait
    Except those 2 issues this is really great though!

30. jdesantos

jdesantos

Does it happens in standalone?

31. Zeblote

Zeblote

I have no idea, I only have the demo so far!

32. Zeblote

Zeblote

Nevermind this

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  33. TopThreat

TopThreat

I want this for my project... I hope you can get Linux Standalone working soon and you will have another sale. I have already promised my users a Linux port of my game and have to hold off until NoesisGUI can handle that. Do you have a timeline in mind? I have played around with the demo and this does EXACTLY what I need! Get Linux working ASAP!!!!! ;)

Best Regards,

Lee

34. yung

yung

jdesantos: sent you a pm :D

35. kenlem

kenlem

How are fonts handle? Can NoesisGUI handle unicode fonts? I want to be able to localize my apps.

36. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, sorry! I miss the notification. Going for it. :)

37. jdesantos

jdesantos

:p:p:p

It is not the first bug that is at the same time a bug and a feature in Noesis!

38. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, sorry. The trial doesn't work in standalone...

39. jdesantos

jdesantos

Yes, we are cooperating with a studio in the Linux port. And they are going very fast. We expect to have good news very soon. :)

40. jdesantos

jdesantos

41. Zeblote

Zeblote

I sent you a PM

42. Zeblote

Zeblote

Actually, I'm a bit clueless about how to create guis with this. I'm sure that I'm not supposed to write .xaml files by hand, that makes no sense, is there like an editor for it?

43. jdesantos

jdesantos

Visual Studio and Blend are the best tools (although I use kaxaml a lot because I love the autocompletion feature it has and I like writing xaml by hand). It seems that Blend is being deprecated by Microsoft in favor of Visual Studio, but it still can be downloaded:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5915

Since Visual Studio 2012 (express editions too) Blend is integrated in the suite.

44. Zeblote

Zeblote

Does that mean it's free? I love free stuff!

45. jdesantos

jdesantos

46. bdovaz

bdovaz

This is a MUST. It's one of the big reasons that many people (including me) are still using NGUI and not going to change.

You have to improve the workflow.

P. D: Saludos desde Bilbao!! jeje

47. Zeblote

Zeblote

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  48. jdesantos

jdesantos

Hola! :D

What is the reason blocking you from changing? Not having the editor integrated inside Unity?

regards.

49. jdesantos

jdesantos

Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 is compatible at least with Windows 7. I had a machine with that setup.

50. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Not really no, preview would e a nice bonus but xaml is well defined. It's not something you need to toy around with and make fixes too. Either you really want an artistic approach and nothing will beat blend, or you want to type xaml and you really don't need a real time view (i ttpe xaml all day long, never using a designer, and always know exactly what it loiks like before hutting run)