Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

No Seat? - Trial Bike game on Android [released]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by khos, Jan 2, 2017.

1. khos

khos

Hi,

I would like to share that I have released an Android version of my trial biking game called No Seat ? on google play.

I welcome you to have a look, it's free :)

Link to Google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=khos.games.noseat2

I converted my desktop version game (http://store.steampowered.com/app/432270/) , I reduced the polycount quite a bit, materials, shadows and and used the edge detection image effect to give it a different feel but it helps with optimisation :)

Some media: 1.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG 7.PNG 8.PNG

Thanks, feedback and your thoughts are most welcome.

2. eXonius

eXonius

I tried your game on my Sony Xperia Z1 running Android 4.4.4.

First time I started your game I got a long loading screen and then the screen just turned black. Not sure why. The second time I tried, this time in portrait mode, then the game loaded but I could only see half a menu due to it not being made to work in portrait mode. Third time I got it working by starting it in landscape mode and this time the menu eventually loaded. So first thing you need to do is lock the game to landscape mode only.

Sadly I must say your game in its current state is not good at all for mobile. First of all the menu items are too small and not very intuitive. As I start the game the first time I have no idea what I'm supposed to press or what they do. On top of that the interface feels slow and unresponsive.

I pressed "Bike" and it gave me complicated options that I didn't know what to do with. I pressed "back" but it took so long to go back that I actually pressed back again and accidentally exited the game instead.

After starting the game again I pressed "Logs" since that was the first option, but then expecting to see some debugging log files or something (because that's what I think about when I hear "logs" :) ). Tried to press a few buttons but never understood how to play, it just kept giving me a long message about my stamina or something.

Mobile games typically should be self explanatory and not so complicated to play. And if you need to do something more complicated you better at least have a tutorial for it.

The game graphics was so bad, from what I saw the logs had no textures just solid gray. Also when I pressed "blocks" basically everything was just a solid gray color except the biker.

The whole game feels like a hack from PC to Android to make it just barely work (and I suppose that what it is too). The only person I think would spend time playing this would be someone who just love the game for PC and want to play it on mobile too and doesn't care that it's very ugly. But even that's a stretch in its current state.

If you want to actually make people play it on Android you need to remake the design of the UI, making the menus bigger, more intuitive and prettier. Consider removing or hiding advanced options so the user isn't confused and make sure the user understands how to play your game.

Also the graphics really need to be fixed, you can't have just a solid gray environment.

I haven't tried your game on PC but I can see how it would be a whole different experience there :) I only tried your game for a few minutes, but honestly that's what mobile users will do and they will judge your game on the first impressions just like I have done here. So maybe beneath the surface of all this there is a fun game but I and most other people would just never bother to get ourselves there.

Update: I looked now at your screenshots. Your game looked nothing like that in my phone. Your biker was textured and everything else was solid colors with no textures. Whatever shader you used to make the black lines effect never executed on my phone.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. khos

khos

Thanks for your feedback, I have been updating the game quite a bit (I had no end of issues with the .obb file!) which may have been causing you some issues, I tested and cannot recreate the issue where you say the line renderer s not working, weird! Can a device chose not to dray an image effect if it so desires? I don't get it.

Can you possibly try again or show me a few samples of what the game looked like on your mobile device? I want to understand exactly where this is failing and fix it.

Trial biking is a complex sport, but I have tried to simplify things by only having one control stick and button to backwheel hop and pedal kick, should be simple to play. here is a dedicated help area to check out, does that not help?
    I think if the line renders stay working then the game should work well, maybe I can give a bit more clues on what each button is for on the intro page:)

PS was your issue anything like in the article: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1236245/edge-detection-camera-script-not-working-android.html

Another odd thing is that the intro page seemed to work ok for but not the actually game play level in terms of the line rendering. Hopefully now that I have finished updating it works ok..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. eXonius

eXonius

Hey, I just updated your game and and tried again. After the update I can't get your game to load. Tried 3 times on my xperia z1 and it just kept loading forever or showed a black screen eventually. Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 5.1.1) too and it also never comes past the loading screen.

As for the link you showed it didn't look distorted like that when I got it working before the update. It just showed solid single colored objects with no textures and no edge line effect. My guess is that the shader didn't work for some reason and it used a fallback shader.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. khos

khos

Many thanks for trying again, I am able to play on my devices, I am just doing it now and works well on my numerous samsung devices, when did you update if I may ask, just now or yesterday? I am surprised that this is so finicky... I think it all relates those .obb files.

6. John3D

John3D

I like the game name, but also the game looks interesting. Good luck with it!

7. khos

khos

Many thanks John, it's a bit niche maybe, but will see how it goes. Hopefully I can iron out the edge detect issues and .obb loading problem.