Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unity 2018.2.18 install crashing when loading any project

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by fen18, Nov 30, 2018.

1. fen18

fen18

Hi All,

I’m very new to Unity so please forgive any ignorance/inexperience on my part.

I’ve been trying various engines with a view to learning VR development (Unity, Unreal, Lumberyard etc), just to see which I’d like to dedicate my time to.

I had a previous version of Unity installed on my machine which ran without issues as far as I can recall, but I uninstalled and replaced it with the latest version and it’s crashing whenever I attempt to open a project. I’ve created a new “empty” project with the same result. Oddly, attempting to load this project gives the following message before proceeding and ultimately crashing:

“Your project was last saved with a different version of Unity (pre 5.0)”

I can see that Unity.exe, UnityCrashhandler64.exe and two instances of UnityHelper.exe remain running in the background.

I’ve recently upgraded my GPU to a RTX 2080 (dx12), but apart from that there’s been no other changes to my system.

I've tried re-installing, disabling Avast etc.

I’m not sure how to go about isolating the issue. Any help or advice would be appreciated – I’d really like to give Unity a proper chance.

I found this log file – not sure if it’s the correct place to be looking.

Thank you in advance for any help or advice that you can offer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. qqqbbb

qqqbbb

I had some crashes in Unity when loading. Fixed it only by restoring system disk image.

3. fen18

fen18

Hi qqqbbb - do you mean a fresh install of your OS, or reverting to an older version? Unity is the only app that I'm having any problems with. so I'm not willing to go that far. As I said, I can't launch it at all - it crashes 100% of the time.

Has anyone one else seen similar issues before? I haven't made any headway. I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone using the RTX series with Unity, just to discount that as the cause.

4. qqqbbb

qqqbbb

fresh install of OS.

5. fen18

fen18

*SOLVED

Thanks qqqbbb, but I’ve solved the issue. It turned out to be a conflict with my game controller – simply unplugging it solved the problem. Hope that helps anyone else facing similar issues.