Search Unity

New Terrain System creates _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Eldoir, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Eldoir

Eldoir

Hi,
    I think I understand how the new Terrain System works - and it's great!

I saw that a _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder had been created, containing all the layers that my upgraded terrains needed.
    I renamed and moved these layers to put some order in my project, making sure that no links with my terrains were broken.
    However, every time I Play, this folder is re-created ... As if the links were still broken?

I found this link related to my problem: https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-_terrainautoupgrade-is.556219/
    But unfortunately the discussion stops abruptly...
    Has this problem been fixed? It looks like a bug.

Is it because I checked "Draw Instanced" on my terrains?
    Or, if it's because my terrains are upgraded and don't come from the new Terrain System, is there a way to "convert" them or clone them with the new Terrain System?

Thank you in advance for your response !

P.S: too bad there's not a new category in the forum named "Terrain System", now that Unity has a team dedicated to it... :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Eldoir

Eldoir

3. LockedInside

LockedInside

Same here, I'd like to know more about this !

4. Chefty

Chefty

Sadly, there is not much in formations out there about this auto-generated folder/files indeed.

Two things are bugging with this folder:

1. Why Unity leave no choice to the developer to control where he want this folder to be located? I personally like to keep my Assets folder clean and oragnized.
    2. The files inside have incredibly long weird naming format:
      layer_T_forest_ground_grass_01_A_SMT_forest_ground_grass_01_N(4.000,4.000)(0.000,0.000)(0.000,0.000,0.000),0.000,0.000.terrainlayer
      More than just being totally confusing it also make Windows and especially Git are complaining because the filename is too long!
    Could we get some more insight on this _TerrainAutoUpgrade folder?

Cheers,

5. Ebonicus

Ebonicus

Recently went from 2019 to 2020 and have issues with this as well.
    I need to continue painting the terrains and they are not available in the Terrain paint pallete.

If I recreate new splat textures, I fear I may overwrite or corrupt the hand painted massive terrains I have.
    Can you share any insight on how to work with old terrains on upgraded project without losing all of the terrain paint data?