Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[NEW PATCH] uNature - GPU, Interactable Grass. Interactable Trees, MultiThreading and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Apr 29, 2016.

?

Pre-release Integrations

Poll closed Nov 29, 2016.
  1. TerrainComposer2

43.1%
  2. GAIA

54.9%
  3. GENA

49.0%
  4. World Creator

13.7%
  5. World Streamer

37.3%
  6. Map Magic

27.5%
  7. Landscape Builder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SkyMaster ( Weather )

7.8%
  9. InfiniGrass, AFS, DX11 (Integration will provide built-in shader support)

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BadUncleGames

BadUncleGames

Hi Elroy,
    Has there been a fix released for this first detail showing problem?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  2. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey sorry out of town till tuesday but got it 95% done. When I am back I will finish it up :)

3. BadUncleGames

BadUncleGames

No problem. Look forward to it.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  4. p7161

p7161

Hi, just bought your Asset. And weird things happen.

1) When use copy foliage from selected terrain, density of grass changed if compare with original terrain grass contribution
    2) Grass is spawned on houses
    3) Grass don't showen in play mode

Video:

Any help or suggestions please.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey out of town so can't give a fully detailed response but will try my best.

1) Ok so resolution changes doesnt work yet in that version so what you can do is in the prototypes adjust max generation density to max (in the foliage manager window) if doesn't look good enough wait for the Remastered version on which you can control resolutions :)

2) on the foliage manager there should be "Maps Generation Mask" remove default (click no on the dialog) then put your terrain layer and click Yes on the dialog.

3) Add UNSeeker to your camera :)

6. p7161

p7161

Thanks for the answer. I needed to read the manual before writing to the forum;)

Another strange problem, which seems to be not in the manual.

If check grass to receive shadows, strange artifacts appear throughout the whole scene. Examples in the image:

I tried to rebake light, but it did not affect anything
    My light setup:

ElroyUnity likes this.
  7. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Interesting will have a look when I am back!

8. hopeful

hopeful

Are the shadows losing resolution due to so many new items being added?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  9. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Could be! I am making my own light weight shadow simulation for Remastered hopefully will share results this month :)

10. p7161

p7161

Switching shadow projection from "close fit" to "stable fit" in "quality settings" fixes shadow problems.

hopeful and ElroyUnity like this.
  11. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Oh ok good to hear! :)

12. Fabbs

Fabbs

Is UNature broken in 2017.3 ? Im unable to paint anything since upgrading.
    (even in fresh projects with newly downloaded and imported unature)

ElroyUnity and lod3 like this.
  13. lod3

lod3

Hope not... was about to upgrade.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  14. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Was already reported, on it! :)

lod3 likes this.
  15. Fabbs

Fabbs

Good to know! Thanks :)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  16. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!
    Just tested seems to work well... Are you using the store version?
    Also, did you make sure that the heights are correct? (Terrain included in the generation mask in the foliage manager window)

Elroy

17. bob_the_pr_bot

bob_the_pr_bot

I just bought it and started playing around with it in my project. Looking at FoliageGrassMap.GetChannel, it looks like you can only have a maximum of two different types of grass on the same tile, is that correct? Are there any plans to change that?

18. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes and yes, thats a temporary solution to conserve memory, remastered version already fixes it. Once all done I will fix it on the asset store version too :)

19. lod3

lod3

What's the time frame on the new version?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  20. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Currently its functional but not production ready. I have a few features I want to finish and then push the beta out.

I don't have an ETA at the moment but I will get a fix for the 2 prototypes per cell really soon! :)

21. bob_the_pr_bot

bob_the_pr_bot

Right thanks :)

22. Fabbs

Fabbs

Yeah, using the store version. 2.3 i believe it is. Im currently re-installing and updating unity to the latest patch. will see if that fixes it :)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  23. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Ok awesome! Keep me updated! if still doesn't work send me the project privately (a small project with the problem, not your whole project :)) and I will see what's the problem :)

24. Fabbs

Fabbs

Okey, managed to get it working again i think, by turning of "Use Instancing" this has always been on before. I will test some and see if everything works okey

Edit: Okey, things doesnt seem right. The grass flickers on and off as i move the camera, and i get Array index out of range errors when painting. il look around some more and then send you a project

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

K cool, using the latest version?

26. Fabbs

Fabbs

Latest store version and latest Unity

ElroyUnity likes this.
  27. creat327

creat327

hi
    the description says "touch bending coming soon"... when would that be added?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  28. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

K, send me the project privately and I will fix it :)
    It has been included since the initial version. Maybe a typo on my end. I will check :)

29. creat327

creat327

do you have a demo windows executable using 2.3? the performance on the current package is pretty bad and it seems you have improved it a lot since that version (no clue what version was that .exe built on)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  30. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

The demo I think was built on the initial version. Don't have a new one yet but will create a new one with the upcoming bug fixes update :) (Which is really close, decided to wait for @Fabbs so his bug will also be in the patch.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  31. creat327

creat327

ok, can you also post here the fps gain from that version to the newer one? i'm sure most will be curious to compare

ElroyUnity likes this.
  32. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Regarding memory changes, which is the biggest change point, it is described here:

Regarding performance, I do not actually recall. I will have to make some tests when I submit the new update. Will keep you updated.

33. lod3

lod3

@ElroyUnity

Edit: The issue with the SpeedTree shadow flickering when using uNature was due to the Shadow Projection setting having been set to "Close Fit". "Stable Fit" is the default. Reverting back to the default fixed it. Absolute wildcard issue considering it never appeared until using uNature, but now you know.

Just ran into the exact same issue. No grass unless instancing is turned off, which (with Vsync disabled) dropped FPS from 1600-1700 down to 400-500, no doubt from grass no longer being instanced. Is a fix for this issue in 2017.3 coming soon?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    ElroyUnity likes this.
  34. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Thats a big bug. Thanks for letting me know! Will work on a fix and submit!

lod3 likes this.
  35. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Working on the fix! Fixing it asap :)

36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

So guys not really sure why its not working with GPU instancing. Been trying to fix it but seems like there's nothing wrong. I will try to message Unity about that. Meanwhile all I can really say is to disable the GPU instancing on the foliage prototype settings :)

37. lod3

lod3

That's a shame. Will be sticking with 2017.2 then, as instancing is mandatory for performance. How close are you to a fix for only being able to use 2 prototypes per chunk?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  38. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That one will take a bit longer but its coming :)

39. lod3

lod3

Any update?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey - almost done with the update but on vacation now till Monday, didnt make it. Will hopefully push the update on Monday or Tuesday :)

41. Kusras

Kusras

Hi Elroy,

Might I ask you how to fix this visibility issue? P.S. this is test project, where I reworked your asset to work on my project as I use 1024 resolution and wanted one HM... it all works. Just I am lost as all grass seems to be attached to any grid. I am in a Base.Cginc and nothing helps (like changing anything around noise)... Any idea what should work?

P.S. it looks well when you have 1-2m size grass but i use around 0.35m grass in my project and when using smaller size, grid becomes such visible...

Thanks

ElroyUnity likes this.
  42. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

I don't think I understand :/ can you re explain the problem?

43. Kusras

Kusras

I mean that you can see grass in the lines, without any randomness. If i play with noise, it does not affect it any such way to reduce this effect. I would like to make to grass spawn +-(5-10)cm in x and z axis from positions which are precalculated. to make it more natural.

This should be affected by Noise but strangely it is not...

ElroyUnity likes this.
  44. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

That might be because the cells are too small. Increase the width of the grass :)

45. Kusras

Kusras

Unfortunately cannot increase the width as normal grass does not have 2 meters and we have to make it fit to the scale. :( Any idea what to pass to shader to better displace it? I will try to override density, this could help. But still I will be thinking how to make it more spread randomly...

ElroyUnity likes this.
  46. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Will be back home on monday and help you solve it on screen share :)

47. bob_the_pr_bot

bob_the_pr_bot

Did you hear back from them? I ended up doing a heavily customised rewrite using your basic concept, but less generic and more suited to my project. I had it all working in 2017.1, it was great. Now I've just tried to upgrade to 2017.3 and it's not working. I think it's because the calls to tex2Dlod in the vertex shader aren't working. (I'm also using instancing). Is this the same problem you were having?

48. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

I am not sure really, seems like the drawmeshinstanced is just bugged, I have a patch coming up on Monday - Wednesday. After that one I will open a bug report and get an actual repro project for unity. :)

49. Kusras

Kusras

Ah I see everyone does heavy customizations :D I also had to make it work on my 1024px terrain just with one texture, which is sent by my code and is same for terrain shader. I am working on billboarding. And better grass mapa (currently using 4 prototypes densities per 1 map - but I will separate it to 8 prototypes per map as it uses just 4 bits) still thinking more about atlasing prototypes per density map and so reducing amount of chunks (4x or 8x)... Btw, do you anyone have some improved grass shader? I do not like much surface shaders, I am more into fragment ones...

@Elroy great, when circa we can make shared screen call? :)

ElroyUnity likes this.
  50. bob_the_pr_bot

bob_the_pr_bot

Well I can confirm mine works when I don't use DrawMeshInstanced. Let us know how the bug report goes :)

I am doing something quite similar actually, 1024 square terrain with 8 grass prototype densities in one texture. I'm using a standard surface shader but with some extras for snow and dryness.

Grass in Snow.jpg

hopeful and ElroyUnity like this.