Search Unity

New NPC Character Discussion: Blake (The BunBun)

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by roxioxx, Oct 4, 2020.

1. roxioxx

roxioxx

Howdy. This is my first time posting in a forum in years, but after reading ALL the art threads, I think it's safe to post stuff for discussion purposes. I'm a hybrid artist/developer so I'm not excellent at either, but I know the full pipeline as I have created fully animated characters for my own personal games. For my fellow artists, it would be wise to not do what I did and already create a character because... well, things can change. And, I personally am fine with completely starting over or tossing this character into the recycling bin and contributing perhaps something else. That should be a good enough of a disclaimer.

Now, let me introduce to you: Blake!

ca-02.jpg bunbun02.png bunbun02b.png bunbun02c.png

The name could be changed, but for Blake, the main thing I want to get across is he is your rival (you being the pig chef). He is more physically fit than you. He has more women giving him kisses than you. And, He's a chef, too. He's come to this island in search of an ingredient that will make the best, spicy carrot cake in the world.

I was thinking for the narrative, so that the story doesn't seem too linear, is that at one point, you (the pig chef) think they are going for the same item he is. You both race/battle, and in the end, you beat your rival, only to find out the prize--the eastern Nebraskan murder pepper (name TBD)--is not the taste you were looking for. So even when you win, you still lose, and you really really really hate this rival guy.

As a consumer of anime/manga/video games, I love having characters that I can hate and for this short story, I think this kind of a element would bring some emotional connection to the players, much like how people who played the first Pokemon games hate Blue to this day, but in a loving way (does that make sense)?

Well, I'd like to start just a discussion on stuff while we're in these really early stages. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is super hyped to contribute. Really though, I just want to learn and this would be the first game I could be proud to have my name in (I had to burn my other games).

That's all,
    ~Rox

shuttle127 and itsLevi0sa like this.
  2. itsLevi0sa

itsLevi0sa

Hey @roxioxx you are definitely not the only one who is hyped! :) Welcome to the forum! This is some fine work you are showing us. Introducing new characters is not something that is off the table as Unity's team has stated, but of course it's still early to decide on that. I think you should promote your idea to the Official Dialogue and Narrative thread and join the discussion there as well. Also, you might want to post your work in the Concept Art thread that has just been created :)

michaelgrilo, Neonage and roxioxx like this.
  3. roxioxx

roxioxx

Why, what a friendly reply. I can't remember the last time I posted sometime on a forum an not gotten chewed out. I look forward to being a part of this community. Thank you @itsLevi0sa!

I've taken a look through the Dialogue thread and I'm sure I'll be able to poke my little arc in there (as soon as I work up the nerve, hahaha...) but the Concept art thread is exactly what I was looking for!

Originally, I was using Dapper Dino's video on how to contribute something new, and it looked like in the Codedeck cards, each card was assigned a character, so, in the off chance a character went through a lengthy refinement discussion and would be accepted, you'd have just a link to that thread instead of separate posts. This is similar to what we do in my field (which is Health IT). We have a product roadmap for the entirety of our medication management app. In this open project's case, the roadmap discussion is the general threads. Then we have feature specific things like sending prescriptions, refilling prescriptions, or canceling prescriptions; those become cards. I suppose I was thinking in the Open Project's case, one character, one card? Or are the NPC's going to be grouped together? I mean, I'm assuming there are NPC's in this game (outside the bard hare) because... well... there are a lot of excited artists who now know about this open project.

Anyways, I'm just bringing up this point from a project management standpoint. We don't need an answer now, and this thread can even be closed by a moderator at this point, but having worked in the art department, it's usually not "one and done." There are things to improve on. Especially when we get to the end and work on UX/UI. That's gonna need some user testing. I'm not sure how one would even share concept art of a UX/UI interface. For example, for my character Blake, I'd say his suit is bland. It could use some more detail. Perhaps even putting the character into specific poses would convey his gentle and kind personality more. It's things like that.

You know, perhaps these are questions for someone else to answer.

Anyways, I'm off to sleep. Thank you for your help!

Neonage likes this.
  4. mattinjersey

mattinjersey

Blake is male?