Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New High Severity UI bug in 2017.3f1 - Disabling Canvas rendered objects permanently spanks them

Discussion in '2017.3 Beta' started by Claytonious, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

New in 2017.3f1 and this is a 100% blocker to shipping *any* of our games - it renders all UI broken if you ever disable any of it at any point at runtime. In many places we use tricks to hide UI without necessarily disabling objects, but there are still SOME places in every app where disabling is appropriate, and as of 2017.3f1 this breaks ALL of those places. Was not present in beta 10. Complete demo:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    GordonM and MrEsquire like this.
  2. Claytonious

Claytonious

Bug submitted with repro project. The repro project is 2 empty images. Just try as in the video.

Case #974768.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Claytonious

Claytonious

Ah, just saw this other post on the same topic. As this demonstrates, the problem is even more severe than described in that thread.

4. Foriero

Foriero

Yes UI is broken. When we apply prefab changes our prefabs are completely messed up.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

LeonhardP is probably going to ask for the Case number. If you want to speed things up, you could update your initial post with it :)

Claytonious likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess the f part of the release ends in -ed :) Pretty frightening bug.

Peter77 likes this.
  7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the reports, and sorry for the inconvenience! We're aware of the issue and working to resolve this as soon as possible.

JamesArndt and Claytonious like this.
  8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Thank you for checking the forum and giving a helping hand even at weekends!

LeonhardP and richardkettlewell like this.
  9. Claytonious

Claytonious

Ditto - much appreciated.

10. pRoFlT

pRoFlT

Seeing something similar. In game when enabling a panel and then disabling it it doesn't go away. SetActive(false) not working correctly.

11. Foriero

Foriero

Yes in Editor you can just resize game view and it will go away. Seems like ui gpu buffer is not cleaned?

12. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

when I see these kind of bugs reaching a release candidate it gives me goosebumps, I always avoid final releases of unity and wait at least for two patches ahead of the official version, last time I jumped into a new fresh version with 2017.2 I ended up with constant random crashes, random errors thrown in the console, basic editor functionality broken like trying to rename a game object or moving multi selected objects working so bad. how do these basic bugs survive through many beta stages, automated test suites, internal unity human testers and people beta testing over the world, I have no clue.

arkano22, derkoi, IOU_RAY and 3 others like this.
  13. Shizola

Shizola

Yeah it does seem crazy from the outside. I'm interested in why the UI keeps going wrong even though it doesn't seem to be in active development?

14. Wim-Wouters

Wim-Wouters

aaaah,.... so happy it wasn't my code that went bonkers... now, should I wait for update or downgrade project...

15. snacktime

snacktime

That's probably why actually. Complex systems you change one thing and it often impacts other stuff only indirectly related. And without good test coverage it can easily go unnoticed.

Shizola likes this.
  16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This will be fixed in the next RC.

JamesArndt and GeraldOBBI like this.
  17. ippdev

ippdev

When does that drop? I am in like hot water now. I had to switch to Collaborate so VS would stop breaking our scenes script connections for our mainly UI driven project and it warned me to sync my version. I recommended we update to 2017.3 as i had to download anyways. He did and spent an hour trying to squash bugs and fired a warning shot my way. Now this..boy I got me some crow to eat.. But I need those danged 2 billion indices meshes for engineering CAD imports.

18. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Probably Friday, if nothing comes in between.

19. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Slightly off topic but what issues did you have with your script connections?

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Holy mackerel. I just updated to 2017.3 hoping to get around the UI performance regressions in 2017.2. Man how this kind of thing gets past beta testing I have no idea? No one thought to test enabling and disabling a UI element? Very much looking for a patch fix for this. :)

BryanO likes this.
  21. f0ff886f

f0ff886f

The issue isn't "these things get past beta testing". Read the OP:

The issue is that there are multiple code changes / merges introducing either new expected functionality or performance or something "else". These should not happen between a beta and RC build. You leave these fixes for beta builds. RC should be "OK we're feature complete, and all bugs from existing betas are fixed". New showstopper issues arriving in an RC points to a somewhat broken release process... that should be b11 if its a scary change, not RC.

22. Cleverlie

Cleverlie

furthermore I wonder how good is the architecture of an engine if a change in the particle system makes the UI system completely useless (obviously I'm exagerating here, but I've seen no UI improvements or changes in the 2017.3 roadmap)

23. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

That's how I know it too, from every studio I worked for. Not sure why UT isn't doing it.

Their current approach of postponing these fixes just causes that new code/features are built on a buggy codebase and ensure an unstable foundation.

Fixing bugs in new code is often a lot easier, due to it being still in ones head. Postponing these things will probably increase the time a developer spends on fixing it, which in turn causes less bugs/features being worked on in total. I'm trying to describe that their current approach seems inefficient.

It's most likely one of the reasons why so many developers say they don't touch new Unity versions before several patch releases came out.

dadude123 and Shizola like this.
  24. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Sometimes the later versions are even worse. We're currently stuck on 5.6.1f1 on a project that has to remain on 5.x, due to later versions crashing non-stop with this. Whether we get this crash or not seems to be a minefield between versions and I have not been able to reproduce it in any way that is not "here's the project, play for 10 minutes!".

25. snacktime

snacktime

Ya it is a bit frustrating. I'm guessing some managers that don't understand they are really just undermining themselves by doing this. It's not like we don't see what is really going on.

dadude123 and Shizola like this.
  26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I hope the release comes out today for the weekend?

27. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

It is out now!

JamesArndt likes this.
  28. GeraldOBBI

GeraldOBBI

Downloading now. Fingers crossed!

29. GeraldOBBI

GeraldOBBI

Have installed and regressed it against our repro case. For us at least, it appears that the problem is solved!

Claytonious and charlesb_rm like this.
  30. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

:)

ippdev likes this.
  31. ippdev

ippdev

I would upload them to the repo using MS services via VS Code that comes with Unity and whenever either of us updated a scene for the first time there would be MissingScript components what would have to be rehooked to sync our copies...

32. AlkisFortuneFish

AlkisFortuneFish

Yeah, that means that it was not uploading the .meta files for the scripts, that's how scripts are identified by Unity.

Basically, if you use any third party VCS with Unity, you need to make sure that you have the Editor setup to have visible meta files and text serialisation of assets. You also need to make sure that meta files are always pushed with the asset they are for.