Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

New "Add Unity Version" screen is worse than the old one [FEATURE REQUEST][BUG]

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by shieldgenerator7, May 15, 2019.

1. shieldgenerator7

shieldgenerator7

Hello

I like that Unity Hub is continuously being worked on and improved, and overall I don't think the new unity hub is all that bad, but in at least one way, it regresses from the old while not improving on it at all. The new UI is great and all, but its layout is merely a new look and doesn't do anything to improve the functionality or usability of the old unity hub.

Ok, nvm I just took a second look at it to get some screenshots and it appears it *did* improve on the old unity hub, but I didn't know because of a bug.

You see, I had already installed Unity 2018.3.6f1, 2018.3.10f1, and 2019.1.0f2. I upgraded to Unity Hub 2.0.0 and then installed Unity 2019.1.2f1. When I press "Add [Install]", it shows the new version I installed, but greyed out, to indicate that it's already installed. I like this :). This is something the old unity hub lacked, and is the main thing I wanted to request. I guess I actually want to report a bug then, because it doesn't show the other three versions I have installed. It should show all versions I have installed, but greyed out, so I know where my current installs are relative to the ones I haven't installed, so I can easily tell if I'm about to install a new version or not, without having to remember and compare long strings of numbers.
    upload_2019-5-14_22-52-27.png

But besides that, this new Unity Hub *is* indeed worse, because it mixes the betas in with the normal releases without any indication that they're betas. I guess when you actually install it, it says "Beta" on it, but it would be nice to know that before trying to install it. There should be a beta tag on the "Add" screen, or the betas should be in blue, or something to indicate that they're not normal releases like the other ones.
    upload_2019-5-14_22-58-4.png

TL; DR:
    The "Add Unity Version" screen doesn't show current installs that were installed before upgrading to Unity Hub 2.0.0. It should show them.
    The "Add Unity Version" screen doesn't clearly indicate which versions are betas. It should clearly indicate them.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    MrGky93 and mamocat like this.
  2. wallycrooze

wallycrooze

Install Interface is definitely a backward step. Should have option to not show pre-releases (i.e. alpha/beta). Should definitely highlight versions already installed on add screen. On Install screen, the installed versions should show an upgrade button if there is a new minor versions (i.e. 2019.1.X).

mamocat and shieldgenerator7 like this.
  3. mamocat

mamocat

IKR!!!

4. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your feedback.
    This will be improved upon.

shieldgenerator7 likes this.
  5. DrVive

DrVive

I agree with the previous posts about the Install screen. The ability to filter the betas/official releases would be very helpful. Plus the LTS releases should be indicated as well. The version list has enough space for a more detailed description to be displayed.

The performance seems very slow when navigating around, especially when trying to resize the window.
    I am running in a Windows7 VM. This may be the reason, but it ran fine on previous versions unity hub.

6. kavanavak

kavanavak

Per previous posts:
    the end tags show f / b / a to indicate what they are. That said, it could be clearer *break them out more.
    Also, there's tons of blank space on the install panel. Why is everything giant tiles? Will that space be used to communicate something later?

7. CJMyerscough

CJMyerscough

I can't seem to just add a module to an existing project (existing version of unity). I would like to add windows build assistant as I did not install this when installing Unity originally. I am using a Mac so this is essential. Is there a way to do this that I am missing? It seems that you have to add a download, then add the modules...? thanks.

8. jjejj87

jjejj87

The new UI design is really wonky.

Please stop making us click multiple times to get one job done. Just bad design.