Search Unity

Bug NetworkList is not synchronising across to clients

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by AaronKB, Jun 20, 2022.

1. AaronKB

AaronKB

Hi.
    I have a couple a few components set up, trying to sync a NetworkList but it's not synchronising to standalone clients - I have other NetworkLists the work fine but not this one.

I have a server component, client component and a shared state component.

When the server component OnNetworkSpawns, I add values to the list.

I don't get any change messages on the standalone client (Although the host client gets them)
    I don't get any initial values on the standalone client, the list remains empty.

Also, when, on the host I change one of the items in the list and it attempts to serilialse it I am getting an exception on the standalone client (Not the host). As part of my game, I will change one of the values in the list. When I do, the exception below occurs and I am wondering if it's confused as to what length was serialised compared to the actual list length (It's empty remember because it didn't sync).

Are there any special processes I need to take for NetworkList that I'm un aware of - such ascreation order etc? It looks like I'm using it just like I do for the other lists I have so I am not sure what's up.

Thanks

Exception: Shouldn't be here, index is higher than list length
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkList`1[T].ReadDelta (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, System.Boolean keepDirtyDelta) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/NetworkVariable/Collections/NetworkList.cs:264)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkVariableDeltaMessage.Handle (Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext& context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Messaging/Messages/NetworkVariableDeltaMessage.cs:200)
    Unity.Netcode.MessagingSystem.ReceiveMessage[T] (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext& context, Unity.Netcode.MessagingSystem system) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Messaging/MessagingSystem.cs:338)
    Unity.Netcode.MessagingSystem.HandleMessage (Unity.Netcode.MessageHeader& header, Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, System.UInt64 senderId, System.Single timestamp, System.Int32 serializedHeaderSize) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Messaging/MessagingSystem.cs:269)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Unity.Netcode.MessagingSystem:HandleMessage(MessageHeader&, FastBufferReader, UInt64, Single, Int32) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Messaging/MessagingSystem.cs:273)
    Unity.Netcode.MessagingSystem:processIncomingMessageQueue() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Messaging/MessagingSystem.cs:288)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkManager:OnNetworkEarlyUpdate() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Core/NetworkManager.cs:1348)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkManager:NetworkUpdate(NetworkUpdateStage) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Core/NetworkManager.cs:1319)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateLoop:RunNetworkUpdateStage(NetworkUpdateStage) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Core/NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:149)
    Unity.Netcode.<>c:<CreateLoopSystem>b__0_0() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.0.0-pre.9/Runtime/Core/NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:172)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    modaka-cov likes this.
  2. Boolable

Boolable

Hi,

I'm facing the same problem. Did you find a solution?

3. cerestorm

cerestorm

I'm not seeing the error but I've updated from pre7 to pre10 and now not all network lists are being populated on the client.

4. unity_jeffr

unity_jeffr

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We're aware of some issues with NetworkList. A first fix that is making its way towards a release has been pushed to a development branch. Would you be in a position where you can test an unreleased branch and let us know if it helps any?

The branch is fix/in-scene-networklist
    The commit you are after is 19dbda7f80df7c7a2c1b231c61143492a7f452da
    You can see it in Github: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...mmit/19dbda7f80df7c7a2c1b231c61143492a7f452da

Please let us know. The plan is for us to bullet-proof our testing and once we think we've got all issues around NetworkList, include it in next release.

Thanks!
    J.

5. cerestorm

cerestorm

As per my Github comment this fix solves the problem for me.

6. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

I also have this problem

7. TruckerJoe

TruckerJoe

I am using Netcode for GameObjects V1.5.2 and get the error, isn´t this fixed til now?
    Here is the full error:

Exception: Shouldn't be here, index is higher than list length
    at Unity.Netcode.NetworkList`1[T].ReadDelta (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, System.Boolean keepDirtyDelta) [0x00563] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\NetworkVariable\Collections\NetworkList.cs:365
    at Unity.Netcode.NetworkVariableDeltaMessage.Handle (Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext& context) [0x002b5] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Messaging\Messages\NetworkVariableDeltaMessage.cs:200
    at Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager.ReceiveMessage[T] (Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext& context, Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager manager) [0x000d9] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Messaging\NetworkMessageManager.cs:564
    at (wrapper delegate-invoke) <Module>.invoke_void_FastBufferReader_NetworkContext&_NetworkMessageManager(Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader,Unity.Netcode.NetworkContext&,Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager)
    at Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager.HandleMessage (Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageHeader& header, Unity.Netcode.FastBufferReader reader, System.UInt64 senderId, System.Single timestamp, System.Int32 serializedHeaderSize) [0x00128] in .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Messaging\NetworkMessageManager.cs:432
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager:HandleMessage(NetworkMessageHeader&, FastBufferReader, UInt64, Single, Int32) (at .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Messaging\NetworkMessageManager.cs:436)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkMessageManager:processIncomingMessageQueue() (at .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Messaging\NetworkMessageManager.cs:458)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkManager:NetworkUpdate(NetworkUpdateStage) (at .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Core\NetworkManager.cs:42)
    Unity.Netcode.NetworkUpdateLoop:RunNetworkUpdateStage(NetworkUpdateStage) (at .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Core\NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:185)
    Unity.Netcode.<>c:<CreateLoopSystem>b__0_0() (at .\Library\PackageCache\com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.5.2\Runtime\Core\NetworkUpdateLoop.cs:208)