Search Unity

Network plugin recommendation for app

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Aupuma, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Aupuma

Aupuma

Hi, I'm looking for the easiest way to develop a networked smartphone app which triggers video playback on other devices.

We have 10 Oculus GO that play a 360 video and we would like to develop a mobile app that triggers the video on all devices at same time, and sets the video language on each device.

The mobile app would list the connected headsets and their state (waiting/playing), and when the headsets finish playing the video, the app would let you choose the desired language and play the video.

I've only tested so far Unet HLAPI, and It was ok, but I want to know if for this case it would be easier to use Photon or a different system.

2. Sound-Master

Sound-Master

I recently run into the problem that the multiplayer service provided by Unity is deprecated. See here.

My clients are suffering disconnections apparently because of bandwidth limitations with the free version of Unity and the only way to lift those limitations seems to ourchase Unity plus/pro and 'go live' with your game.

However, Unet is going to be dead by the end of 2022 or so it would seem, and a new system is being created by Unity. See here also.

If you are looking for a more long lasting solution which works similarly to Unet I would recommedn Photon. It sounds to me it should be as easy as calling and RPC function on all clinets you want to play a video in your case. Assuming the videos are already loaded on all devices. If you are looking at streaming content, maybe this could work for you.

I have never developed for Oculus GO, so am I not 100% sure Photon would work with it, but if it does my experience with it so far has been excellent. I use Photon PUN.

I hope this helps!