Search Unity

Need to architect a solution of a connected game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by sylvain, Jun 26, 2019.

1. sylvain

sylvain

Hi,

We have developped a demo game in Unity3D, which is not a FPS game, but an immersive 3D game. Each game session needs 4 to 6 players. But, as the game contains a lot of assets, it is now about 2 to 3 gb. And it will increase as long as new assets are included. And new builds will be frequent.
    Instead of requiring downloading the game on each terminal, I was looking for technologies to run the game on servers, and deporting video on terminal. Kind of WebRTC for instance : each player runs a WebRTC instance, connecting a server running the game. Ok, one player = one server.
    I am not able to find on the Internet, such an architecture, or an implementation of technologies allowing me to reach this goal = each player runs/plays on servers, not on terminals/devices.

Any idea ?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

So you want to go with Cloud Gaming AKA Gaming as a Service (GaaS). There's lots of startups in this field, and a few big dogs jumping in like Google Stadia. I'd start by looking at the various companies doing this and see what the options are. I believe the wikipedia page on the topic maintains a list of such companies.

The more standard approach though would be to just put your game on Steam, distribute beta keys as needed, and updates between versions are small because Steam automatically just deals with changes to the build instead of uploading/downloading the entire build every time. My game is currently about 1.4GB, but since Steam automatically compresses everything the game download is less than half that even for a fresh install, and typically build updates end up just being a few MB unless I add some big stuff. But of course never close to the full size of the game.

Alternatively you could break your game assets out into asset bundles, and just download them as needed. So if you have assets for 10 unique levels, but you're just going to demo level 1, have the client just download the assets for level 1.

3. sylvain

sylvain

Thanks Joe-Censored,

Effectively, I am looking for GaaS. But this domain seems very large. And new...
    I glanced some websites, but no one explain their technologies. Is it proprietary ? There is no standard on that ?

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

New, proprietary, no standards, no proven market, lots of tech news hype, lots of money being poured in. This space will probably get a lot more clear a year or two after Stadia releases.