Search Unity

Bug My Unity Projects Won't Open!

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deky_, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Deky_

Deky_

Out of nowhere, Unity Hub wouldn't open my projects anymore. Each time I try to open a project, it launches for 5 seconds then closes. I think it had to do something with licensing because I made a new project and I already started with 8 errors saying "the package is not available to use because there is no license registered for your user". I tried using every technique, deleting the license and adding it back, restarting my computer, etc. Yet nothing worked, please help me I'm lost.

This is what happens when I create a new project... The licensing client is open, I do have a license but it's still not working. I'm currently using Windows 11 if that might be the cause of the issue but it was working just fine yesterday. I uninstalled, reinstalled Unity Hub and Unity but I get the same exact errors. I can't even open my project unless I open a scene in my files to open the editor and see the exact same errors.

2. juaa

juaa

I'm having exactly the same error here, I'm using windows 10

3. SteveCissel

SteveCissel

Same here. Unity Errors.JPG

4. Deky_

Deky_

Did you figure out a way to fix it?

5. juaa

juaa

No, I reported the problem, but support still hasn't given me a solution that works, try to do the same, you can report a bug using unity hub

6. felipec_unity

felipec_unity

Unity Technologies

7. Deky_

Deky_

8. juaa

juaa

9. felipec_unity

felipec_unity

Unity Technologies

After adding the permissions, did you also quit the Editor and the Hub (and I mean really quit, not just close the window), and opened it again?

Also, when checking the permissions, just to be sure, try to create an empty file in the Unity folder, just to be sure. (Windows: C:\ProgramData\Unity, Mac: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Unity).

10. juaa

juaa

Support found this solution and it worked for me, hope it works for you too
    1. Delete the license file "Unity_lic.ulf" (C:\ProgramData\Unity)(windows)
    2. Generate license request for manual activation in Hub (Hub > Preferences > Licenses > Add > Activate with license request > Create license request)
    3. Open that .alf file in your preffered text editor and add the following line into <MachineBindings> section: “<Binding Key="4" Value="" />” without the quotation marks
    4. Now proceed with activation and upload the modified .alf file to get the license
    5. Activate the license using the file .ulf that you downloaded

11. EastEnderEmpire

EastEnderEmpire

When you write .alf file, do you mean the .ulf file? OTherrwise I don't know what .alf file you're talking about

Edit: Sorry, I worked it out. The fix seems to work for me!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  12. Deky_

Deky_

I tried generating a new license manually as mentioned before yet it's still not work.

The file below shows what's happening on my side; it looks like my Unity Hub "refreshes" when I open a project. We can see my project about to open but then it closes for the editor to never open... It's been 2 weeks I had this issue, I'm so lost.

Edit: The gif cropped for some reason but my the Unity "loading screen" just closes out of nowhere.

Attached Files:

CollinMDP likes this.
  13. saurabhs_

saurabhs_

had the same problem, downgrade your hub to v2 and then activate the license
    once activated from v2, you can upgrade unity hub to v3.1.1

@felipec_unity please share the same in other forums and share an older version of unity hub for us to download since only the latest 3.1.1 is available on unity download page

14. felipec_unity

felipec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Deky_, the behavior you experience happens when the Editor doesn't have access to a valid license.

There are a couple of known issues that could cause that. One is the permission I mentioned before. The other is what juaa and EastEnderEmpire mentioned (Binding 4).

Note that when attempting the Binding 4 work around, it has to be added before Binding 5 in the ALF file.

If you tried all that and it still didn't work, it's probably better to open a support ticket.

15. SteveCissel

SteveCissel

The information above worked for me.
    Here it is consolidated:

1. Delete the license file "Unity_lic.ulf" (C:\ProgramData\Unity)(windows)
    2. Generate license request for manual activation in Hub (Hub > Preferences > Licenses > Add > Activate with license request > Create license request)
    3. Open that .alf file in your preffered text editor and add the following line into <MachineBindings> section: “<Binding Key="4" Value="" />” without the quotation marks
    4. Now proceed with activation and upload the modified .alf file to get the license
    5. Activate the license using the file .ulf that you downloaded

Note: When attempting the Binding 4 work around, it has to be added before Binding 5 in the ALF file.

#Onward
    ~ Steve

samanabo, felipec_unity and GGeovani like this.
  16. Deky_

Deky_

Here's a fix for the problem:

martinzavrel90 likes this.
  17. cookim_snookims

cookim_snookims

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This worked perfectly, thank you so much for posting this!!

18. trialforce

trialforce

Too much work. I will unninstall and install again.

19. tommytracer

tommytracer

It was an ad-hoc network issue for me.

I'm on a Mac, I used “networksetup” on the command line to create an ad-hoc network from my machine. The network name I used was a the same as a previous home network SSID. For some reason, Unity didn’t like it. I removed the ad-hoc network and now I can open all my projects.