Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Everytime reopening Hub it always asking for license

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Reanimate_L, Jan 25, 2018.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I had a period last year that this was happening daily for me too. One day it fixed itself. Not sure if it was a problem with Unity or a problem with my internet or something else. I guess I’ll never know.

2. ChaseDaBase

ChaseDaBase

Something that worked for me is to run the unity hub setup which reinstalls it and after doing so it worked

3. JotaRata

JotaRata

Still an issue in 2022

Circool likes this.
  4. Robosimar

Robosimar

I just updated unity hub recently, I am facing this issue since then, And whenever I try to reactivate a new personal license it says that error activating new license

5. NA914

NA914

do it manually , i-e MANUAL ACTIVATION

6. Robosimar

Robosimar

I found a cheap fix for it, When your license isn't activated you can't open any projects, This wouldn't completely fix your License issue but It should let you open your project and make new ones until after couple days this issue occurs again.

Just Task Manager and Kill your Unity Hub,
    Then Reopen it and it shouldn't throw the No activated license error.

7. FElineRAptor7273

FElineRAptor7273

Try going to Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings > Inbound Rules > Right click on Unity Hub > Properties > Advanced Tab > Select options Public, Domain and Private [make sure to tick all the check boxes beside them] > Click on Apply and then click on Ok > Close Firewall > Close Unity from System Tray [if open] > Restart Unity. This might solve the problem.

Please note, I have tried this in Windows 7 with Hub V3.0.1 but the process should be similar in Windows 10.

Update: If the the problem occurs again after a few days, just close Unity Hub, go to system tray, right-click on the Unity Hub icon, then click on Quit Unity Hub in the pop up menu. Now, open Unity Hub again. That may solve it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  8. shibi2017

shibi2017

2022. everyday it asked for a license in a random time when I try to open project.
    and it's not the expired date, I do not know why.

asdfxcell and Circool like this.
  9. shibi2017

shibi2017

not work in my case

10. shibi2017

shibi2017

re-install fixed.

11. shibi2017

shibi2017

Here is my hub page, license is not expired today, but when I try to open project. it ask me to refresh license, and when I click refresh, it goes: upload_2022-3-30_10-30-12.png
    Only way I found is to re-instsall, and work with hub and wait for the next time re-install.

12. shibi2017

shibi2017

Hub version 3.1.1

13. shibi2017

shibi2017

sometimes re-open also slove the problem.

14. lettucewrap4

lettucewrap4

Are you located in Taiwan? Seems to be a geo "bug" (Tencent has some stake in Unity, if that explains the gist).

Long story short, for a workaround, VPN anywhere outside Taiwan and you'll never experience it again.

I actually made a post on an old account with an analysis and repro of the issue... but staff shockingly deleted/censored the post and banned my IP "for ddos attempts" [for what I thought was being a good community member reporting a repro'd issue]. What's next, will I be forced to make a public apology on YouTube in Chinese like John Cena?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  15. felipec_unity

felipec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all, would you verify that your user has Read & Write permissions in the following folder:

Windows: C:\ProgramData\Unity
    Mac: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Unity

You can check that by opening that folder and trying to create a file in it, or right-clicking on it and checking its Details.

You can add the permission (if you have access to Administrator rights) by right-clicking on the folder and opening Details or Get Info.

If that helps, a fix for this issue is on the way.

Thank you!

TMS_1 likes this.
  16. I_hope_Unity_DIES

I_hope_Unity_DIES

This is something that's rather annoying. I use Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control and every time I install any version of Unity, it would automatically creates a rule to BLOCK Unity. This doesn't happen with any other software I install and use, just Unity. I tried emailing Malwarebytes' tech support and they were no help at all.

Anyway, that's what was causing my licensing problems with Unity. Hope that info is helpful.

17. TMS_1

TMS_1

This worked great, also if your antivirus software has a ransomware or file protection you need to add Unity and the Unity hub to the 'Allow' list.

18. shibi2017

shibi2017

today is May 5 and I can not open it and can not refresh the liscense: upload_2022-5-5_13-59-15.png

19. shibi2017

shibi2017

no use here. Spend several hours a weeek to solve this porblem. I do not know why I suffering this.

20. shibi2017

shibi2017

thank you, unity china sucks.

21. samarancona

samarancona

The problem is still there also in may 2022 on the beta version of unity hub.
    Please is it really damn to re-license every time I leave the hub or even when I close any project.
    Some temporary Fixs?

22. Progje

Progje

may 2022 now and still not fixed

23. burningman2k12

burningman2k12

I have the same problem. Worked fine until a couple days ago. Solution I found that works is disconnect from my wifi load unity then reconnect to my wifi. Not sure what's going on. Have a recent version of unity hub and unity editor 2021.3.

BertrandSnap likes this.
  24. Xxbot999

Xxbot999

still a problem june of 2023 hate this software i cant wait to never touch it again

25. fifthyunity

fifthyunity

6/24/23 Still a problem

26. fifthyunity

fifthyunity

What's also weird is its 6/24/23 but the activation date is feb27 2023 the expiration date changes just a detail that i want to point out Screenshot 2023-06-24 023940.png

27. stalyan77

stalyan77

The issue is still happening as of August 2023 but I could fix it (Final solution in EDIT3 below). Giving Unity folder permissions to my user as explained above and adding the Unity Folder in the Malware Bytes allow list (if you don't have it check the firewall rules, someone explained it before in this thread) seems to have solved the issue for me.

EDIT: After restarting it asks for the licencse so not working, this is embarrassing :/

EDIT2: Here the log. I put the relevant part in bold. What are these 'machine bindings'? can you be more clear on the checkings guys? otherwise there is a bunch of users with this issue, and having to generate a new license EVERY DAY of one's life is not fun.

{"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:00.073Z","level":"error","moduleName":"LocalProjectService","message":"[ 'Error while opening project: {\"code\":400,\"error\":{\"errorCode\":\"NO_LICENSE_ACTIVATED\",\"projectName\":\"First script\",\"projectVersion\":\"2022.3.0f1\",\"projectArchitecture\":{\"architecture\":\"unknown\"},\"projectPath\":\"C:\\\\\\\\PROJECTS\\\\\\\\UNITY\\\\\\\\Learning C# by Developing games with Unity book\\\\\\\\First script\"}}' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.767Z","level":"info","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'Get all entitlement groups' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.821Z","level":"info","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'Successfully received all entitlement groups details' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.821Z","level":"info","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'Received 1 entitlement groups' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.821Z","level":"warn","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'Invalid license file: C:\\\\ProgramData\\\\Unity\\\\Unity_lic.ulf, reason: Machine bindings are not valid.' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.822Z","level":"info","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'checkEntitlements: checking entitlements for: com.unity.editor.ui' ]"}
    {"timestamp":"2023-08-17T08:42:03.854Z","level":"info","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","message":"[ 'Successfully checked for entitlements request.' ]"}

EDIT3: As a user commented commented on the first page,I disabled the wifi and used ethernet, that fixed the problem for me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  28. jmabry104560

jmabry104560

Happens to me too. Incredibly annoying, as I often find myself unable to test scripts because I don't have access to the internet. I don't get it. My license says it doesn't expire until "X date" but literally EVERY TIME I try to open my project it won't let me unless my computer was online 100% of the time since the last time I opened it.

The only reason I'm even using Unity is because it supports C# and is fairly lightweight. Now that Godot also supports C# I see no reason to continue with this sub-par product. I'm not going to buy a license either, because I fully believe I'll get the same experience even after having paid, and end up wasting money.

To the person responsible for this: I'm extremely impressed by the vastness of your incompetence.

29. veronica_unity371

veronica_unity371

This is quite possibly the worst software in the history of all software. You've done it Unity.

I will never ever touch another Unity project after this. I've had enough of this trash.

30. Tolpak

Tolpak

3.7 hub version resolved my licence issues