Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

My detail meshes places in lines help!

Discussion in 'World Building' started by odra05, Jun 15, 2020.

1. odra05

odra05

My detail meshes (rocks in my game) spawns in weird lines. The lines of rock are far in between eachother and i cant place any rocks inbetween them making it look very unatural. I have tried decreasing detail density and detail resolution per patch but it didnt work and also this affects the grass making the normal grass textures too dispursed. How can i fix this? Anteckning 2020-06-15 195820.png

2. arvindchetu

arvindchetu

Can you please let us know what steps you have taken to add rocks over terrain?
    You can also follow these steps to draw rocks on terrain:-

1) Get the Terrain Assets pack(free) from the asset store by Unity tech, if you have not already got it.

2) find the "rock mesh" from within this terrain pack folder.

3) Place one rock in your scene(drag the rock mesh file into your scene).

4) Create a prefab in the folder where you got the rock called "Rock with collider".

5) Drag your rock from the scene(via hierarchy window) onto the new prefab.

6) Delete the rock from the scene.

7) Go to your tree painter tab in your terrain. Now open add and drag your new rock prefab into the object box of the add window.

9) Paint you rocks.

This should do what you need.

3. odra05

odra05

Thx im gonna try it.

4. MervayB

MervayB

Same thing is happening to me.

5. jonathanbrodsky

jonathanbrodsky

Unity Technologies

This is a result of the detail renderer having a hard limit on the number of vertexes that it can display per patch. It can display 65536 vertexes per patch (2^16 vertex indexes). This will occur regardless If you are using a high resolution mesh, like your rock, it will run out of available vertexes really quickly and clamp the number of details per patch.

You can use the solution that arvindchetu suggests above, since the tree renderer does not have this limitation. Alternately, you could lower the number of vertexes in your details, or paint them much more sparsely.

6. Mr_Everything

Mr_Everything

Bro I faced the same problem but it is pretty simple to solve. First click on your terrain then go to terrain settings scroll down to terrain resolution, there will be options like terrain height width etc below these will be an option of detail resolution, keep increasing this value till you find the desired results