Search Unity

Monodevelop functionality in VS2019?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Altissimus, May 3, 2019.

1. Altissimus

Altissimus

I'm running through the (truly excellent) "Introduction to Game Development" series by Sebastian Lague (free on Youtube, dontchaknow) and he is using MonoDevelop. MonoDevelop appears to have been ceased to be packaged by Unity for some time now - I, of course, am new to all this.

It seems that MonoDevelop has a number of features that make coding easier, such as view of functions/parameters/classes etc as they are typed, etc etc. VS2019 isn't doing any of that.

Questions, please:
    a) can I make VS2019 do that?
    b) is it possible (advisable?) to go back to Monodevelop instead?
    c) is there an alternative option? In a google search someone mentioned "Visual Studio Code with C# addons" - if this, which addons?

Thanks all.

A.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Maybe. VS2019 is working for some people and not for others. VS2017 is the one that works the best right now.

No. You could install it but what made it able to do the features it did was special support added by Unity. With that gone it's little more than a fancy text editor now.

Step-by-step instructions for Visual Studio Code are available at the link below.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

3. Altissimus

Altissimus

Thanks, will try VSC.

4. Altissimus

Altissimus

So I've used VSC for a bit with the C# extension. One piece of functionality that I was hoping for (but can't find) is that in the Monobuilder videos there is often a hint box to the right of (what I believe to be) the Intellisense, that shows function parameter/argument format. E.g.:

Capture.PNG

Is it possible to add this in?

5. hub.PNG

This is VS 2019 with Unity 2018.3. In Unity 2019, the descriptor XML is currently missing.
    See here.