Search Unity

Modeling a scene

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Bokaii, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Bokaii

Bokaii

Hi there,
    I'm currently working on a one-scene first person game, and I'm trying to model the scene.
    The problem I'm having is that I find it difficult to wrap my head around actually modelling the entire scene. I use blender3d to model, and I can model smaller assets fairly well (in my own opinion), but whenever I try to model a full scene, I always seem to get stuck early on.

In this game I'm trying to model a jungle temple (the interior). I made the entrance which looks okay, but from there I just seem to get stuck. I have an idea of the layout of the temple, but any attempt have resultet it me giving up because it's just not right.

I'm a programmer and not a designer/artist. Does anyone have any tips on how to proceed? Any tutorials on game level design for unity?

Most of the tutorials I've found are speed level designs with a static camera, and they don't help at all...

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Since you are doing level design at this point in the project, I'd recommend a purpose-built tool like ProBuilder or RealtimeCSG. A few benefits to this method:

1. Simpler tools, easier to learn and use, but the concepts and skills transfer to Blender/Max/etc fine
    2. In-Unity means you see your level in-game as you build it, can playtest anytime, no import/export etc

I think you'll genuinely have fun building this way :)

As an old, but still relevant, example, here is a set of tutorials building DOOM E1M1 in Unity, with ProBuilder:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/doo...tyle-webplayer-10-part-video-tutorial.237485/

...and the newer tools make that even simpler! Built the first section, just for fun, in about 30 minutes:
    upload_2018-9-20_9-34-45.png

3. Bokaii

Bokaii

First off: Thank you for you answer @gabrielw_unity .

Probuilder looks cool and I might try it out, but I don't really see the difference. I still feel lost when it comes to creating the entire scene, and not just smaller assets.

I always feel like my scene/level ends up looking bad. No matter how much I put into it.

Again, I feel like I'm decent at modeling assets, but when it comes to a whole level I keep getting something wrong, but I don't know what it is.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Hmm, level design vs asset modeling is a very different skill and workflow, that's all :) It'll take some time! It might sound strange, but I'd super recommend you join a community like "TF2maps.net", dig around and get inspired to create some clean, simple greybox levels (in whatever tool you choose :) ).

The difference between PB (or other in-game tools) vs dedicated 3d tool is two-fold:
    1. You aren't bogged-down by HUGE piles of features, tools, etc. It's like having a block of wood, and a few basic carving tools...don't overthink it, just make something fun. It sounds odd, but fewer features == MORE creativity and freedom. Psychological blah blah something I'm sure :D
    2. It's fun! You can play test your level anytime. Run around and check it out. Jump the gaps, shoot some targets, etc :)

5. Bokaii

Bokaii

I'll check out the community. I should probably try to create other types of levels before trying this. I think the hardest part of this project is the fact that I don't have any reference pictures or anything. So maybe I should start by creating already existing maps?

I get how an in-game tool could speed up the process a little bit, but in my case I don't think it would speed it up a whole bunch since I just save the blender file instead of exporting it.

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

I think you'd be happily surprised :) A few seconds sounds silly, but the difference between "save, alt-tab to Unity, wait for import, Play" and just hitting "Play" really adds up. This is one of the big differences between asset creation (my day job for 5 years, heh) and level design mindset. You really need to feel that you are in the space you are creating- it's fine to create a barrel, character, vehicle, etc in a separate tool, but levels are much different. Especially once you start adding lighting, particles, interactive stuff, etc :)

7. Bokaii

Bokaii

Maybe you're right, I might try it out.

Thank you very much for you answers! :D

gabrielw_unity likes this.
  8. hongwaixuexi

hongwaixuexi

The tutorials are made 4 years ago. Could you remake it? I didn't find detailed tutorials (>5 hours)on Probuilder, only several Portuguese tutorials on Udemy.

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, I plan to update them soon! :)