Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

DOOM "E1M1" Level Recreated in Style! Webplayer + 10-Part Video Tutorial

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi everyone! Recently, I asked the ProBuilder community "What would make a good tutorial series?" Re-creating the iconic "E1M1" level from DOOM was top of the list, and hadn't been done yet (in Unity), so I dived in and started working! Building up the level was a great experience for me, and using UFPS Camera with ProBuilder made for an awesome power-combo :D Even semi-complex items like player damage, texture-based footsteps, elevators, doors, etc- UFPS makes it dead-simple!

I really hope the end result is something everyone can enjoy- especially those with the same nostalgia :) Building and playing this brought back great memories of sitting at the old "486" with that clunky keyboard, and no mouse...

Webplayer: HD or Pixel-icious!

"Slap a few shells into your shotgun", and give the webplayer a try! There are two versions, one that uses the cool "Pixellator" image effect, and the other in full HD glory:
    Play the "HD" Version or Play the "Pixelicious" Version

Complete 10-Part Video Tutorial Series

Now, the part that REALLY took time, effort, and far more work than expected, was the complete, start-to-finish, 10-part video tutorial series that details the entire process! Through this series, I go over everything from building and texturing, to lighting and optimizing, and even how to setup doors, elevators, triggers, slime pit damage, and more. I sincerely hope this will be a big help to anyone looking for an all-inclusive, detailed, in-depth level design and construction tutorial series.

Directly below is the "Intro" video, and I have linked to each of the 10 other videos just below that. Enjoy, and please let me know if you have any thoughts, comments, or suggestions! This was my first full-length tutorial series, learning as I go, there will certainly be more to come :)

E1M1 Tutorial: Intro

E1M1 Part 1: Floors
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c514cx8BFQI

E1M1 Part 2: Walls
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNYm5ln-Do

E1M1 Part 3: Ceilings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i86buK19sTM

E1M1 Part 4: Colorizing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCza26ZD8XM

E1M1 Part 5: Texturing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D81zR63V8Do

E1M1 Part 6: Doors
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICJdS381UIQ

E1M1 Part 7: Collision Volumes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32RgCvtbTI

E1M1 Part 8: Optimizing with Umbra Occlusion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9aSKHvb4a0

E1M1 Part 9: Slime Pits, Triggers, Elevators
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsN51d7SqgE

E1M1 Part 10: Lighting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuqyztESWc

E1M1: Outro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTwKHqZi080

Screenshots, hurray!

Thanks for viewing, looking forward to feedback on the tutorials and level!
    (but for now, it's 5am, and I need to sleep...)

420BlazeIt and zDemonhunter99 like this.
  2. AlanOToole

AlanOToole

This is simply amazing. I have been following the development of this from the beginning and it is amazing what ProBuilder can do and how fast it can do it too. Great work and awesome dedication to your work! Keep it up :)

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks GTSphere, appreciate it! :)

4. pete1061

pete1061

Cool, but I have just a small critique:
    How about adding arrow key movement controls? A lot of us left handed mouse users prefer arrow keys for the same reason righties prefer wasd. It's more comfortable to play with your hands further apart.

Another thing, how the heck do you open doors? I tried every key,the 1st door door wouldn't open.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for the comments - you can use "F" to open doors. I'll add that to the top! I'll look into arrow keys as well.

6. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

The music.... its in my head.

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

The only cure is to go play some DOOM ;)

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Interesting stat: 202 clicks on "Pixelicious" version, vs only 41 on the "HD" version.

9. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Well, we know what we want.

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

So it seems- I had expected, actually, people to see the "pixelized" version as somewhat gimmicky, ha, and be more interested in the "HD" version. Good to know, since I found myself really liking the pixelized look as well :)

11. pete1061

pete1061

I prefer the HD version.
    But my taste usually goes against the majority.

12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Heh, good to know somebody does! All those HD textures weren't easy to setup. But they will be once the big "UV/Texturing Update" is done! :)

13. hike1

hike1

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ah, shoot, I forgot to add that to the official message up top, thanks for reminding me.

Full credit for the great HD textures goes to the fine folks at:
    www.zdoom.org

Specifically:
    Chilvence
    KuriKai
    Freelanzer (http://freelanzer.com)
    DaniJ
    Reinchard

Many, many thanks to the these talented artists for re-making the original DOOM textures in HD, and making those textures available to all.

15. cjke-7777

cjke-7777

Amazing guys. I've been following (and also purchased) ProBuilder for a long while - haven't used it much, but from what I have I love it

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks cjke! It's been great from this side as well, keeping development moving steadily forward and building the tools up to something everyone can benefit from.

Hopefully we'll see you in this contest? :)

17. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

I also have probuilder, it's a great tool! Thanks for these tutorials.

My only critique, and I don't know if you talk about it during the videos, is the choice to make the sky orange.

From the Doom wiki:

"In Doom, Phobos is depicted with Earth-like gravity, a thick atmosphere, and tall, seemingly vegetation-covered mountains; the sky texture for the episode was derived from a photograph taken of Yangshuo Cavern in China."

That greyish, foggy sky in the original was cool. It made the air feel damp and cold. The contrast of going from inside to outside was that much starker with the light sky.

It's not a big deal, but the way the sky is orange with those sun shafts coming through the grates, makes them look more like orange lights.

Oh, and I like the pixellated version better :)

18. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ahg, I completely forgot to finish the skybox! Maybe I'll try to go back and fix that up. Good catch ;)

19. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Cutting the Edge?
    Where is the tool for cutting the edge, editing edges
    I have the new beta installed, but still cannot find the tool.
    I am trying to recreate what you did here in your videos
    Thanks from Chris.

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

To cut between edges, select them, then hit "ALT-E".

What version do you have? The public release is now up-to-date with the Beta, at v2.2.5f5

21. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

No, Alt+E is called connect in my version and it is the newest.
    At exactly 5 minutes into your 10 part tutorial Part 1, How did you cut into it where you wanted the cuts to extrude?
    It says on the video, Editing Edges Beta.

22. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, Alt-E is used for connecting edges, which is also called "cutting". It is really the "add more geometry tool- in vertex mod, Alt-E will connect selected vertices, in Edge mode it will connect selected edges, and in Face mode, it will Subdivide the selected face(s).

The pop-up says "Editing Edges (Beta!)", to be precise- this is simply to warn users that Edge Mode is still semi-beta, we expect to find some issues with it still. It's actually the most complex of the modes, though it seems simple on the outside. You can also see a small "BETA" text over the edge mode icon in the toolbar, when it is active. This isn't saying the version of ProBuilder is Beta, just that edges themselves are still in testing.

I'm realizing it would be very, very beneficial for me to go back through the construction videos and explain in detail each and every change, in detail. Sorry about that. When I get time, I'll do this, or perhaps even a new video. Better still- I'll go through and add annotations to the video via YouTube's system.

I hope that clarifies it, sorry for the confusion. :)

23. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok, I got that working with the ALT-E, pretty Cool when you know how. It was just not clear enough in the video for me to actually know how to use the tool. I was thinking a little more complicated than what it actually was.
    There are a few things that I am finding that need a little updating but I will get them written down and post my finding in the forum under bug reports tomorrow.
    Thanks again

24. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, again sorry for the lack of clarification- will fix that up ASAP! :) Feedback is always great.

25. lod3

lod3

Any ETA on this? Seems like it's been a long-time coming...

26. iliveunderground

iliveunderground

Wonderful job!! running through that brought back some very fond memories.

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks iliveunderground! :) Really good to hear it's appreciated by so many!

28. Hormic

Hormic

It's highly appreciated, thank you for this great tool and this Tutorial Series. I'm on the way with the walls right now. Some of your actions are a bit quick to recognize and i'm not sure if it's normal that sometimes the geometrys get screwed with connect. But it's perfect fun to get familiar with probuilder and progrid. You mention it very often, so i wonder if the selcect border functionallity is integrated already - i haven't found it so far. ( using Probuilder 2.3.1f1)

29. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Hormic, glad you are enjoying the tools and tutorials! The "select border" isn't in yet, sorry :(

30. rooster

rooster

Very cool. Perhaps the next tutorial could be adding some enemies ...

31. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Is this a fully fleshed out tutorial in that it covers enemies and shooting? Or is it a tutorial in recreating a level from Doom sans enemies and shooting?

After spending $95 for ProBuilder I would be expecting a tutotial with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  32. 2CDorian

2CDorian

This is some very attractive work.

33. Hormic

Hormic

I have finished my version of the level with enemys, you can play it here -> http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/doom-e1m1-hangar-level-rebuild/49266/ or here -> www.virtual-illusion.com/rocco/doom_rebuild
    Keys: WASD – Move, F - Interact, Left Mouse - Shoot, Right Mouse - Aim, Space - Jump , Shift - Sprint, QE or 123 - Change Weapons, R - reload gun, F1 - Fullscreen

Probuilder is the tool for creating great environments directly in unity and has nothing to do with Game AI.
    So the Probuilder Tutorial is brilliant for what it is, thank you very much.
    If someone are interested in creating enemys look at the unity tutorials.
    My enemies are based on the enemy setup in the Stealth Unity Tutorial.

34. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Does this "Stealth" tutorial cover how to use/modify the First Person controller and changing player states such as idling, walking, running, and changing the Animator to get the correct view showing? Does it also show how get down the scope view as well, for walking/idling which is essential in a modern shooter? Does it also show how to create a bullet, speed, ammo, reloading, velocity, size and I suppose most importantly what happens if the bullet hits something; wall, building enemy?

Please tell me it does and I'll get straight to it?!?!?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  35. Hormic

Hormic

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  36. James10898

James10898

It really feels floaty.
    I like my doom sharp, and fast, as well as other people.
    That's what you should replace.

37. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yes! We'd love to do this, just a matter of finding time.

Thanks! :)

Very cool, way to go the extra distance as well! Thanks for sharing!

I agree, and that's something you could probably tweak to perfection :)

38. JustJeff

JustJeff

39. Dizzy-Games

Dizzy-Games

great showcase of how powerful Pro Builder is.
    this is very nice

40. jorgemcoco

jorgemcoco

Where can i get the mold for Doom and make one by myself? i whant to learn