Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Mobile Movie Texture

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by DanTreble, Dec 17, 2011.

1. elias_t

elias_t

DTreble. Is there any chance that you could support sound also?

2. DanTreble

DanTreble

Did you miss these lines in the instructions:

Please move the Plugins directory from here Assets/MobileMovieTexture/Plugins to be in the root Assets/ directory
    Also move the StreamingAssets directory movies in Assets/MobileMovieTexture/StreamingAssets to be in the root Assets/ directory

Thanks for buying it!

The asset store wont let me put the Plugins or Streaming Assets in the right place :-(

3. android_dev

android_dev

is it possible to have a 1.1.2 demo version. The attached file in posting #1 is still version 1.1.1. Would like to test the keying quality before I buy it.

4. DanTreble

DanTreble

I think the watermarking in the demo version will mess up the quality of the keying, I don't think it will do it justice.

The keying works by doing a weighted distance in YCrCb space and using that as the alpha channel. You can set the top and bottom of that distance as the high and low values.

The shader has no branching logic at all. So it should be as fast as possible.

Still trying to get 1.1.2 accepted in the store :-(

5. android_dev

android_dev

Ok i'll see. Hopefully it won't take long till your update is online!
    BTW are future updates included when I'll buy the current version?

6. DanTreble

DanTreble

If you PM me your invoice number, I'll send the latest version straight to you :)

Yup :)

7. MrYigit

MrYigit

I have a project where I use the demo-package in. Now that I've purchased the full plugin, I thought I simply import the full plugin and let it overwrite the old (demo) one.

But now I get an error saying:
    In Unity:
    Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/MobileMovieTexture/Editor/ChromaKeyEditor.cs(46,25): warning CS0219: The variable `window' is assigned but its value is never used
    In XCode:
    Code (csharp):
    1. "_OpenStream", referenced from:
    2. __Z19RegisterMonoModulesv in RegisterMonoModules.o
    3.      (maybe you meant: _OpenStreamDemo)
    4. ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7
    5. clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    :confused:
    How to fix this? Thanks.

8. DanTreble

DanTreble

Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/MobileMovieTexture/Editor/ChromaKeyEditor.cs(46,25): warning CS0219: The variable `window' is assigned but its value is never used
    I'll fix that warning. Sorry!

Also how did you get that? That is in version 1.1.2 which was rejected from the asset store as the reviewer didn't move the streaming assets directory :-(

Sent you a PM about the other problem.

Thanks for buying it!

9. MrYigit

MrYigit

Well, we now get a whole bunch of other errors.. Don't know what it is yet. I'm having a programmer looking into it right now. The ones I mentioned above are fixed.
    Thank you for the quick answers. I was just a little bit going to fast and therefore missing some things. ;)

10. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

Hi,

Do you have any plans to support audio?
    This looks very interesting :)

11. DanTreble

DanTreble

I haven't tried yet. I have a feeling keeping audio in sync with the movie will be tough. Especially on android where audio latency in mixing buffers can vary hugely.

The movie is synced to Time.delta time, so in theory you could start the audio playing ~170 ms before the video.

Open to suggestions :)

12. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

We just bought your plugin from the Asset Store. Thanks for developing this :)
    I hope you find a way to include audio at some point.

13. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

I have another quick question :)
    Is it possible to use the movie texture on UnityGUI components such as a label or a drawtexture? That would be very handy.
    If I understand the setup correctly, it's the movie shader that determines where the movie is played. I guess that makes it impossible to use it with UnityGUI, right?

14. Peter Hou

Peter Hou

... and a couple of additional feature requests:

- play the movie backwards (a variable we can toggle)
    - jump to a specific frame and play

15. DanTreble

DanTreble

I don't think so as it needs the custom shader to convert the colors. It also uses a custom UV matrix to crop the movie.

That is exceptionally hard with the way these movies are encoded. They have a keyframe, then many delta frames that have to be played sequentially. I doubt the delta frames can be applied in reverse.

Tricky for the same reason above. Say you want frame 75, I have to find the last key frame, say it was frame 50, I then have to decode/play/apply 25 delta frames to get to 75. That is going to be one hell of a performance spike when it seeks!

Thanks again for buying it! I'm sorry all your suggestions are hard :)

16. lexvandersluijs

lexvandersluijs

Hi DTreble,

First of all, thanks for developing this life-saver! We had a big problem playing movies from an AR application on Android, using Unity's VideoPlayer: after the movie was finished, it took some 5 to 10 seconds for the application to return to the AR on some devices (e.g. 7" Galaxy Tab). First five seconds you could already hear the music from the AR playing, with the last frame of the video in view. Then 5 seconds of black... At first we though this was due to the QCAR tracking becoming active immediately, but later on we found that it was probably caused by the loss of the OpenGL Context which is mandatory on Android 2.x. In other words: the entire scene needed to be loaded into GPU memory again. This would explain why switching from a small 3D scene and back again is really quick, but from/to a big scene is not.

Ultimately we purchased your component, positioned a quad in front of the camera (with accelerometer-readout for orientation) and started an audio stream in parallel. When the framerate and resolution are kept moderately low (18 fps, 320x480), the result is good enough.

We used it for the 'interactive theatre poster' for the Rain Man play by a Dutch theatre group called De Utrechtse Spelen. A video of it is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry0JDrx1AtE (made by the ANP, a Dutch news agency).

We also used it in an AR production for the Pre-launch campaign of the Sony Playstation Vita for Vodafone Germany https://market.android.com/details?id=de.vodafone.VodafoneAR, which for various reasons hasn't quite gotten off the ground yet. We hope to refurbish the app for the real Launch campaign, since nobody has seen it yet and it's really cool :) (app only available in Germany btw). In any event, you can see that your component is being put to good use!

Having said all that, please let me take the opportunity to join the chorus of voices asking for audio-support, and the ability to skip frames should the device not be able to keep up! Can you give some feedback on your plans for this?

All the best,
    Lex van der Sluijs
    creative technologist, twnkls | augmented reality

17. atmob

atmob

Hi,
    Is there a way to test the 1.1.2 ? I'm in a project that could be very useful the chroma key feature, let me know, so I can make a decision on using it (buying) or trie to find other solution.
    Tks
    @mob

18. DanTreble

DanTreble

Hey TheLex, thanks for sharing your experiences. The projects look cool.

Noted :)

I put the ground work in the 1.1.3 version. As all the frames are deltas based on the last, you still have to decode the frame, but you can skip the upload to the gpu and the decode.

19. DanTreble

DanTreble

Shader and shader editor editor attached, it's up to you to hook them up! I will get round to updating the demo version at some point. Right now my focus is on getting the asset store to accept version 1.1.3 after they rejected 1.1.2.

Attached Files:

20. atmob

atmob

Tks I will try it ;)
    Tks
    @mob

21. DziD

DziD

Hello, very interseting!
    Your library playing video files (coding by theora) from any place (I mean if place file not in StreamingAssets) or not on all platform?

Thanks!

22. neoRiley

neoRiley

Has there been any tests done on 3.5?

23. DanTreble

DanTreble

Internally it does a fopen, if you can provide a file path it can open, it will work.

Hope that helps

24. DanTreble

DanTreble

I've been running 3.5 for a while with no problems.

25. neoRiley

neoRiley

Excellent, I was JUST about to reply that i'd tested with the demo on 3.5 on iPad2 and it worked exactly how I needed it to - multiple movies, no hassle. It just worked.

This, after trying Prime31's plugin, was such a relief. Mike over at 31 was fantastic in trying to help trouble shoot, but it never did work for me. Yours works great!

One request so far: can you add a permanent getter for the movieMaterial private?

Code (csharp):
    1. public Material MovieMaterial
    2. {
    3.     get
    4.     {
    5.         return m_movieMaterial;
    6.     }
    7. }
    I added this on my end, but I know that'll get wiped out when a new rev comes out ;)

Thanks very much for your hard work, this really saved our @$$

26. neoRiley

neoRiley

On the sample videos I converted from mov to ogv, I'm getting this green line that's not always there on playback - there are 3 videos playing, the one in the middle is being keyed:

Playing the video back in VLC, I can see a thin green line at the bottom:

Is this green showing up because of encoding settings? or is it to odd aspect ratio? Or ... ?

Thanks for your help! OUTSTANDING that I can run it in the IDE - ROCKS.

27. DanTreble

DanTreble

Excellent glad to hear that, nice to get such positive feedback.

Consider it done :)

Thanks for buying it!

Interesting. I was going to blame bilinear filtering in my implementation till I saw the VLC shot. Looks more like a bug with the encoder.

Our of interest, what did you use to convert it to theora, http://v2v.cc/~j/ffmpeg2theora/? The stable version has been solid for me, I don't trust the beta though, it gave me some weird frame skips.

What is your frame width x height? Internally, it rounds the width and height to multiples of 16. The decode buffer then has a 16 pixel buffer top,bottom,right and left. Definitely try a multiple of 16 on the height.

Ha ha, glad you appreciate it. Speeds up my workflow if I don't have to deploy to device.

How are you finding the keying?

28. DziD

DziD

Hello!
    Thanks for answer!!!

Yes, it really work on all platforms except Android!!!
    All time I have exception in AssetStream.cs when trying to open file (file mnt/sdcard/Android/Data/com.test.app/files/video.ogg not found, but file present!!!)

This line throws exception: assetManager.Call<AndroidJavaObject>("openFd", fileName))...

in Android video file places in "mnt/sdcard/Android/Data/com.test.app/files/video.ogg"

Maybe you know what happens?

It work under WEB?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wondering if sound in .mov files would be supported at some point or is it just something I need a separate track for?

30. neoRiley

neoRiley

I downloaded a plugin for quicktime pro and it seemed to have done the job, with the exception of that line. I will try the one you pasted here. I'm on mac, I could have sworn I saw that link in reference to windows, so i'll try and let you know.

The key worked great - really great. I did have a moment in the IDE that I can't fully described, but it seemed for a minute that my shader selection kept switching back to keyed version despite my setting it to non keyed. I think selecting the material in the project panel, then changing it there made the change "stick", but I had to wonder if it was because I added permanent panel for the key editor? Anyway, it worked great as you can see from that screenshot.

Thanks for the heads up on the multiples of 16, i'll definitely keep that in mind. I had created those videos using Jing's video capture, so my screen selection was willynilly ;)

31. neoRiley

neoRiley

32. neoRiley

neoRiley

I haven't tried it yet, but is there any reason I can't use the keyed shader with a normal MovieTexture for non iOS apps?

33. DanTreble

DanTreble

You probably want to change the android section in this MobileMovieTexture.Open(). Android is hard coded to read back from a offset within the apk file. You don't want that, really your want to pass your path un modified through to the native OpenStream

So try replacing this

Code (csharp):
    2. #if UNITY_ANDROID  !UNITY_EDITOR
    3. <snip>
    4.         m_nativeContext = OpenStream(AssetStream.GetApkPath(), (int)offset, (int)length, m_loop, pot );
    5. #elif UNITY_IPHONE  !UNITY_EDITOR
    With this

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_ANDROID  !UNITY_EDITOR
    2. <snip>
    3.         m_nativeContext = OpenStream(m_path, 0, 0, m_loop, pot );
    4. #elif UNITY_IPHONE  !UNITY_EDITOR
    Sorry, it doesn't. However maybe the built in MovieTexture works under web?

34. DanTreble

DanTreble

I'm not sure how best to tackle this, but I know for sure that making them sync will be a nightmare.

I have to account for the size of the fmod mixing buffer (x ms) then on android the kernel mixing buffer (40ms to 170ms). The audio will need to be way ahead of the video. Which means the audio will have to be triggered separately (which you can try now) or I'd internally have to buffer video frames, decode the audio with a second copy of vorbis and pipe that out and through unity :-(

35. DanTreble

DanTreble

Glad the keying worked well. Not sure what was happening with your shader not sticking. Could it have been a "Save Project" thing?

Shouldn't be, it's not the best code, but all it really does is change shader values in the material you have selected, if it is using the chroma key shader.

I wouldn't worry about the 16 too much, if you now have an encoder that works :)

36. DanTreble

DanTreble

The chroma key shader works in YCrCb space and ends up in RGB, where as MovieTexture is RGB out. Wouldn't be too hard to do another version that worked for MovieTexture :)

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

On a side note, what's the performance on typical ios devices? is 60fps a pipe dream? I ask because if it works ok at 60fps, it's possible to get the rest of the game working fine and scale the whole thing down to 30. Just looking for a yardstick really.

38. DanTreble

DanTreble

In my tests, the 3GS runs the demo movie, 640 x 380 at slightly higher than 30fps. Note it isn't doing anything else. One of my customers is doing 1024x768 on the iPad2. I personally haven't tried to hit 60 on a device yet.

Give the demo a go. That's what it is for, it has the same performance characteristics as the paid one. Wont take too long to see if it solves your problem or not :)

39. neoRiley

neoRiley

One other suggestion: can you wrap an if statement around the clearing of the channelTextures indexes so that this class can co-exist when compiling/running in other build targets?

Thanks again!

Code (csharp):
    1. private void DestroyTextures()
    2.     {
    3. #if (UNITY_ANDROID || UNITY_IPHONE)  !UNITY_EDITOR
    4.         m_reallocTextures = false;
    5. #endif
    6.         if( m_ChannelTextures != null )
    7.         {
    8.                 m_ChannelTextures[0].Destroy();
    9.                 m_ChannelTextures[1].Destroy();
    10.                 m_ChannelTextures[2].Destroy();
    11.         }
    13.         m_ChannelTextures = null;
    14.     }

40. DanTreble

DanTreble

Sorry, you lost me. What breaks?

Destroy textures looks like this in 1.1.3
    Code (csharp):
    1.     private void DestroyTextures()
    2.     {
    3. #if (UNITY_ANDROID || UNITY_IPHONE)  !UNITY_EDITOR
    4.         m_reallocTextures = false;
    5. #endif
    6.         if (m_ChannelTextures != null)
    7.         {
    8.             for( int i = 0; i < CHANNELS; ++i)
    9.             {
    10.                 if(m_ChannelTextures[i] != null)
    11.                 {
    12.                     m_ChannelTextures[i].Destroy();
    13.                 }
    14.             }
    15.         }
    17.         m_ChannelTextures = null;
    18.     }
    What wants changing?

Thanks! Dan

41. neoRiley

neoRiley

i hadn't realized that thats in the DEMO version, and it's different than the final ;) so never mind!

42. neoRiley

neoRiley

I do have a question about skipping frames, and I thought I'd read a post about it - right now it seems like its playing every frame in the iPad whether it can keep up realtime or not. In your code, it *looks* like you're testing for time, but I'm wondering - do you drop frames to keep up with realtime? Is that doable? I ask because I'm trying to play audio with it. When playing in the IDE and it can keep up, it actually works "good enough". but on iPad, my scene is rather heavy and the video playback is slower than realtime.

Can you let me know what to do to have it drop frames and keep up with realtime?

Thanks much!

43. DanTreble

DanTreble

Ok, it remains untested, but if you're feeling brave, you can pass -1 as the texture handles to DecodeAndUpload() it will just decode and not upload. You can't avoid decoding the frame, they are all deltas. However saving the upload should save a lot of work.

So the decode loop logic would look something like

Code (csharp):
    1. double nextFrameTime = GetNextFrameTime(m_nativeContext);
    3. while( nextFrameTime <  (m_elapsedTime - Time.deltaTime))
    4. {
    5.     DecodeAndUpload(m_nativeContext, -1, -1 ,-1); //Skip frames
    6.     nextFrameTime = GetNextFrameTime(m_nativeContext);
    7. }
    9. //Do the actual frame
    10. DecodeAndUpload(m_nativeContext, m_ChannelTextures[0].tex.GetNativeTextureID(), m_ChannelTextures[1].tex.GetNativeTextureID(), m_ChannelTextures[2].tex.GetNativeTextureID()  );
    I do plan on getting round to this at sometime myself :)

44. Lyaksej

Lyaksej

I apply Movie material to my prefab. I also have a game object with attached MobileMovieTexture.cs and TestMobileTexture.cs
    I have this code inside TestMobileTexture.cs
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (GUI.Button(new Rect(0, 0, 100, 100), m_movieTexture.isPlaying ? "Pause" : "Play" ))
    2. {
    3.    m_movieTexture.pause = !m_movieTexture.pause;
    4.    if(!m_movieTexture.pause)
    5.    {
    6.       m_movieTexture.Play();
    7.    }
    8. }
    When I call m_movieTexture.Play(); texture in my prefab freezes. If I drag and drop that material runtime again - it works ok.
    Could you help me with that?

45. neoRiley

neoRiley

yeah I just ran across this today - I think the issue is that when you use it on a prefab, the material that comes with the prefab is an instance of the material, not the material itself that you assigned to MobileMovieMaterial.

All you have to do is assign the material of the renderer to the MMT component at Start. I literally just put this on my prefab and it takes care of it:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class SetMobileMovieTexture : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public MobileMovieTexture mmt;
    9.     void Start ()
    10.     {
    11.         mmt = GetComponent<MobileMovieTexture>();
    12.         // this has to happen because this is created as a prefab at runtime and the material is instanced.
    13.         mmt.MovieMaterial = renderer.material;
    14.     }
    15. }
    I was JUST going to ask if we could add the getter/setter I've added to the code base, and you'll have to add it for this to work:

Code (csharp):
    2. public Material MovieMaterial
    3.     {
    4.         get
    5.         {
    6.             return m_movieMaterial;
    7.         }
    8.         set
    9.         {
    10.             m_movieMaterial = value;
    11.         }
    12.     }
    hth

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  46. Lyaksej

Lyaksej

Cool, it works! Thanks man!

47. neoRiley

neoRiley

Yes please!

48. DanTreble

DanTreble

Thanks for doing my support for me neoriley!

49. neoRiley

neoRiley

thanks for putting in my getter/setter requests ;)

50. atmob

atmob

Hi,

Just bought, and until now is great, and good performance ;)
    I'm testing with a chroma key video that I had, but is a green chroma color, I have been struggling to find or match the Key Color YCrCb values for that.
    Is there any standard values, or a color pickup way to get the right values ?
    Tks for the great piece of software.
    atmob