Search Unity

MMORPGs & New Unity Networking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by unity_VigorBioFunStudio, May 10, 2019.

1. unity_VigorBioFunStudio

unity_VigorBioFunStudio

Hello Unity Tech Team,

I would like to use Unity engine and I read about the New Unity Networking and the Deprecation of old UNet, UI, Graphics, upcoming Ray-Tracing technology and also DOTS...etc. For the most important part to me is Networking adding good features like AAA server hosting (Dedicated Servers) provided by Multiplay, Vivox to deliver voice and text chat for multiplayer games and transformation from pad interconnected nodes ("peers") share resources among each other without the use of a centralized administrative system (P2P) to Client Server model where individual client request services and resources from centralized servers (Dedicated Severs) that's great for security and powerful Networking system.

Recently, I found you're only talking about FPS :( ,Its sample and matchmaking. There is a question, are you making New Unity Networking for only one type of games, or for only simple multiplayer games? If no What about massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG)? I trust in Multiplay will serve this type of games very well and professional, I do not ask for making samples I want good features provided from New Unity Networking to make it easier and possible, as you know MMORPG is big open world and serve thousandth of players at the same time (simultaneously).

1. What The New Unity Networking will provide for this type of games (MMORPGs)?
    2. Is there any possibility to separate server-side and client-side code?
    3. Is It possible to make MMORPG type with Unity in 2019?
    4. What is the expectation date to release the official version of New Unity Networking?

Hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity is focusing on FPS now because they had to pick something to start on first, and FPS is exciting and something a lot of Unity devs would like to create. They have said their plan is to create a variety of optional features focusing on different game types though. They have not released a timetable that I'm aware of, and they seem to be taking considerably longer than one would think this effort should take if they were actually making it a serious company focus.

Unity hasn't released much in the way of high level abstraction. It is all pretty low level stuff.

It is certainly possible to create an MMO in a recent version of Unity. Though in its current form the networking alpha isn't up to the task. What works adequately for a fast paced FPS with a small number of clients isn't necessarily a good fit for games of a difference pace, with different types of data, and a much scaled up number of clients. You could look at alternatives, but I'd really recommend designing your own custom solution that is a good fit for what your specific game needs.

3. unity_VigorBioFunStudio

unity_VigorBioFunStudio

• Thank you for sharing your Info about this topic.