Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

MMO Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Apr 22, 2013.

1. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Great. I think Unity's terrain tools are pretty user-friendly, so it's nice to know I can just use that to do the initial world building.

Can't wait until you open this up to other customers/testers!

2. cookimage

cookimage

It wont be long till we open it up for developers, just need to add most stuff in which is going pretty fast.

3. gie005

gie005

Okay, when will it be availble? :D
    Also, is there a site for it or something ?
    Sorry, but I'm just really excited to see this.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. cookimage

cookimage

No exact date when it will be available, the website will be out soon as its being re-done right now.

5. cookimage

cookimage

Here is the first look at our Unity MMO Kit Editor. I will explain the workflow proses in this post but it will most probably change over time as well as the UI itself.

$ContentDatabaseSettings_v1.png

This is the start where you set your information to connect to your servers database. This will connect and update changes you do in unity.

$MobDisplays_v1.png

$MobDisplaysEdit_v1.png

One thing you will do first to get a mob/npc into the game is create a Mob display. The mob display will be a prefab with clothing and mesh details in it.You then can use this mob display and make mob templates from them.

$MobTemplates_v1.png

$MobTemplatesEdit_v1.png

Now you can create a mob template so this allows you to create multiple mobs using the same display. We will be adding the templates stats like health, mana and so on in the mob template UI.

Once the templates has been made you can then go into the game and place them in game at run time.

I will post more information on Item creation soon.

6. oOoANDOSoOo

oOoANDOSoOo

Hi ,
    I have used many of the RPG tool kits and frameworks available for Unity and had them setup with servers (Photon Server, Smart fox server, etc...), so I am extremely interested in this kit. I am also interested to see / know how this setup compares to others.

Being a programmer myself I am even more interested to see and know more of the server - its capabilities and limitations.

I look forward to knowing more about this kit and to see more of it in action. :)

Many thanks,
    -Andy.

7. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

I like how user friendly the Unity integration looks!

Question: Is voxel terrain also supported by the server? I'm considering purchasing and using a tool like TerraVol to build maps in Unity, but I'm not sure if there would need to be special consideration on the server side to use this vs normal heightmaps. It would definitely be a bonus to have voxel terrain, especially in a seamless world situation.

Looking forward to seeing a preview of item creation!

8. cookimage

cookimage

We haven't looked into that yet as we have allot on our plate but I would love to see that in as well so in the feature I am certain we will be looking into it. As for user friendly, yes our aim is to make this system very user friendly so that you can setup your world very fast with minimum amount of people developing it.

9. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Great! Obviously, it's not a feature that should be in before the more basic stuff, but good to know that it's something you'll consider for future development.

10. sooms

sooms

Hi Chiapet.

I'm the programmer for the Atavism MMO server/toolkit. Sorry for the delay, I have been out and about. Here's the answers t oyour questions:

As of this very moment the load balancing is not yet complete. The server is designed in separate plugins for each aspect of the game (such as combat, mobs, quests, world, proxy) with each being able to be a separate process. They communicate between one another using a message system that will be extended so it can go between servers. This system allows developers to add in or remove game/server systems with moderate ease (programming skills will be required). The plan is that you will be able to have multiple instances of the processes that require the most processing (such as world, proxy) while keeping say only 1 for quests as an example. As mentioned the ability to spread over servers isn't there yet, and will probably be done sometime during beta.

Secure connection has not yet been added, however it is a rather simple step that can be added right in our RdpConnection class on the client/server. There is of course security options already available for transmitting login data.

Mob AI is indeed on the server. There are base behaviours for general roaming, patrols, combat, merchants and quests. These will also be usable without any programming skill. You will be able to define the behaviours in the editor using the tools we provide that link into the database.

Yes, to a limited extent (can't remember the exact number, but it is massive). The server uses a quad-tree to breakdown who can see who so you only see other players/mobs/server-based objects that are close to you, and to manage the data load.

Sure is :)

I have tinkered with all of these systems, but only party/grouping and friend lists are functional so far. I have the rest planned out, just haven't had the time to implement them yet. They will become available sometime during beta.

I hope these answers satisfy. Obviously everything isn't perfect/implemented yet, but the majority are planned and eventually on the way (there's just so much code...)

11. junkyardog

junkyardog

> Atavism MMO server/toolkit

Ah. I have a name for it now. I too have been anticipating this development for a time.

I would like to be involved with any early development activities. My contributions back would be limited as I will have to grow significantly with it myself.

12. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Hi sooms!

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm very excited to see so much either already in or planned for future beta testing. It sounds like your company's MMO kit will much more easily allow hobbyist developers to make a full-fledged, feature rich MMO via Unity, and that is an awesome prospect!

Looking forward to more updates on this thread--and hopefully, an announcement of a website soon! :)

13. cookimage

cookimage

Here is a look at the Item Creation Editor in Unity.

$ItemPrefab_v1.png

First you create your Item Prefab and attach the scripts to it.

$ItemTemplates_v1.png

$ItemTemplatesEdit_v1.png

Then you create your Item Template. You will see a bunch of information on the item you can change here.

14. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Looks very cool! A couple questions on items:

- How does the EquipmentDisplay script work and how customizable is it? I've been looking at options for avatar customization, equipment display, and animation. I'm considering a combination of Mecanim, Playmaker, and Mega-Fiers (to use Daz models and morphs for body/face customization). Not sure if the EquipmentDisplay script could be tweaked to accommodate that idea, or if I'd have to start from scratch.

- How are item instances handled by the server? Are they just references to the item templates (model, damage, etc.), or are they independent items with initial appearance and stats set by the template when created? The reason I ask is that I'd like to customize individual items on characters, such as modifying the model or changing colors, as well as add weapon effects or enhancements to a character's items. Obviously, I want those changes to just affect the one item instance, not the entire template.

Thanks!

15. cookimage

cookimage

Ill get Sooms to reply to this one soon.

16. cookimage

cookimage

Great news!! we are busy with adding a modular housing system into the kit which will allow players to build any type of housing with modular parts in the game you make.

17. wmgcata

wmgcata

Hi there!

The kit looks promising and I can't wait for it to be released for us to buy it!
    If I may give you a little tip, make sure that the whole package is well documented, maybe with some videos or a full pdf file? Because the mistake people usually make is that their package works well and that it's all cool and stuff, but that it lacks most of the documentation on how to use it or how to set it up from scratch, these usually end up with having bad reviews on the Asset Store and lower sales.

Following this!

Tim

18. dextermovies

dextermovies

So, once it gets to beta stages how does one gain access to the beta ? Will there be a fee ( I.E you pay for the product but get to test it still ) or will the beta simply expire ?

19. cookimage

cookimage

Hi Tim,yes we intend to have tutorial video's about every aspect of the package as it is a big package and will have allot of things you can adjust.

As for beta access, we intend to do a per-order from our website which will allow you access to closed beta testing before any-one else. Because we are developing a game along side the package that we will be releasing our self you can be sure allot of feature will be added over time as our own game progresses. It will also show you how everything functions right in a real game.

20. dextermovies

dextermovies

Awesome, time to start saving lol. I used realmcrafter game engine before.But I really like the ease of use of unity vs it. I have also used two different mmo kits for unity, so I am greatly looking forward to this project.

21. sooms

sooms

Sorry for the slow replies, I am shocking at checking the unity forum.

Equipment display works by first having display templates which contain material and/or model data. When an item is equipped the display ID is set on the character for the slot, and the EquipmentDisplay script picks up this id, then gets the data from the equipment display template and applies that data to the character, such as adding the material on top of an existing one (so say some pants sitting on top of the legs) etc. I imagine this will require some modification by teams to match their own character setup.

Items are actual objects created off templates. This allows modifying the copy of the item a player has without changing everyone else's items.

22. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Thanks for the reply, sooms! Sounds like the ideas I had in mind are possible with some adjustment to some of the kit's functionality. Looking forward to trying this out when it hits beta!

23. cookimage

cookimage

We have added a modular grid system into the kit. You can now allow your players to build their own houses any way they want with this system. It can also be used to create farms or any recourse type of item that grows. The nice thing about this is its real time , meaning when you build a wall everyone sees it right away.

24. John-G

John-G

Nice, cant wait to try it out.

25. gie005

gie005

I want to be patient, but I REALLY want to try this out! :D

26. Hatfield

Hatfield

In regards to the modular grid system, will this allow grid based movement?

27. chrisx84

chrisx84

wow now im very internested in this kit for my mmo idea. Would like to make a PvP, PvE, PvPvE mmo with crafting and like to let players build what they want from a tiny home to a huge coven castle. Please let me know when its available. I hope this is going to be free for Unity Indie. I have like a zero budget for my mmo idea.

28. wmgcata

wmgcata

Looking at all of the features of this pack and what it has to offer us, i'm quite sure that this pack wont be free at all. I'm guessing that it might even cost about 100-150$? I thought i'd just let you know, wondering what the makers have to say about this.

29. gie005

gie005

It depends on what you want included.

30. chrisx84

chrisx84

oohhh $25 i can do and it looks like i might be able to do the subscription thing for pro soon too. thanks.

31. cookimage

cookimage

We have not yet totally finalized the pricing on the tools yet but am sure it will be affordable as when I look at other options there is currently to make a MMO game ours will be much less I think. Sorry for the delay in response, we have been working hard on the building grid system for this. Like you know we are also making our own MMO along side the tool kit to ensure it works and the modular system is coming along very nicely. There will be a introduction video showing it in this week. Depending how long it takes us to build houses hehe as its soooo much fun!!!

32. gie005

gie005

Cool!
    Will you show us a lot in the video ? (such as log-in and character create)

33. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I am liking very mich what you have so far. Definately watching this thread.

34. cookimage

cookimage

here is a few screenshots done in our game we are working on for our housing system. It uses the MMO Construction kit grid system to allow players to build a fully customizable house any way they want using pre defined walls and so forth which will be blueprints they create themselves. All this is done in real time right in the game and saved automatically right away to the server which allows other players to see your creation being build as you do it.You will notice the grids on the ground, some are blue and those are not bought yet. Green means you own it. The grids for our game is also not the whole world terrain but only in places we have placed them. A player then needs to use a survey skill to find out if there is building grids where he stands. With this system we will also create farms land where a player can grow crops on each grid he owns. This is just a small sample of what can be done with the grid system.

$GridSystem1.png

$GridSystem2.png

$GridSystem3.png

$GridSystem4.png

$GridSystem5.png

35. cookimage

cookimage

36. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

impressive. So the player designs their own blueprints. This is done with certain resources depending on size of structure?

37. cookimage

cookimage

Yip, they need resources to build it.

38. laxika

laxika

Super nice kit! Can't wait the release. Btw the first thing came into my mind when saw the housing is why do you create such a complex feature for the prerelease? Why not just polish the basics and add advanced stuff later. It's looks very promising.

39. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks , good question. The reason is we are developing our own MMO game along side this and the housing is the first thing players where looking for. The basics is all in already for the kit. The big reason we did the housing system will be revealed very soon.

40. laxika

laxika

Ohh I see. Well, I know a lot of people asked this before but do you have some ETA for pre-pre alpha or anything? We are a two man team with my friend and planning to do an MMO game in unity (very small scale one) but we are stuck. I don't want to develop a server while I see a very good one is soon to be released. (Don't like wasting my time.) We are just planning maps and NPCs while I'm practicing with Unity, but lot of the plans is already done.

Also one small questation. If I start to develop maps (terrains withobjects placed on them without spawns and such) can I import them into your upcoming kit? Because we have free time now, and I want to spend it on something usefull.

41. cookimage

cookimage

We will be doing a pre-sale of the kit on our website mid August with limited seats available which will give some developers early access to the alpha version of the kit. The open beta release of the kit we are hoping to release end of October.

You can certainly make maps and so forth, we are currently working on making it easy for you to just select your scene where you want to spawn in, place a spawner object where you want to spawn and you are done so all the other stuff in the scene will work without added code to them.

42. laxika

laxika

Thanks a lot for the info. We'll work on the maps first then. (And also docsing the other infos.)

43. chrisx84

chrisx84

wheres the link to the website?

44. cookimage

cookimage

Hi all, here is a video showing the engine in action. Its a intro we did for our MMO game we are working on. As for the website, we are still working on the Atavism Online website.

45. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

I'd recomend creating diferent factions that fight agains each other, this is something pretty awsome that the best mmorpgs are lacking of.

46. chrisx84

chrisx84

47. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Looks very awesome! I'm excited to see how this engine will help us little devs out. :)

48. cookimage

cookimage

Hi all, here is a look at our Instance Editor. With this it is very easy to setup your scene so you will spawn in it.

$InstanceEditor.png

All you do is open the UI from the Atavism main menu and then put the scene name in the Name section. Create a empty game object and name it what ever you want. Place it where you want to spawn when you enter the scene and drag it into the spawn Location. save data and that instance is added to the server. We will be adding some more features like setting the number of players allowed to enter the scene and having multiple spawn positions. There is a script that you just add to any object where if you click or collide with it it will transport you to which ever instance you specify. With this system you can have a full MMO setup with hundreds of players in or do a multiplayer setup with limited players in.

49. chrisx84

chrisx84

what about just doing a teleport spawn system instead? like saving "spawn" coords in the server side database so when a player logs in for the first time they go to the coords in the database and then once they in the world they can just do something like /tp x y z as a in game command? sorry not really to good with Unity so sorry if Unity doesnt have a good teleportation system.

50. cookimage

cookimage

When you login first time into the scene , this is used for that. What are you meaning with TP xyz, if you just put in numbers there is no way you will know where you will be going or even if you will spawn on top of the terrain. You can type for instance /goto Spawn if you want to go to a spawn point you have setup before already. You can also say add a item in your inventory and when you click on it get TP to its location that's set to it. But using any coordinates will not make sense as you will need to be sure where they are going to take you to. It is possible to say set a spawn point at the position you are standing and then assign it to a item and next time you click the item you get TP back to that position.