Search Unity

MMO: Characters from 3d app ? morph targets etc.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Xerilon, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Xerilon

Xerilon

HI all! This is my first post on this forum, and I have to tell you I am not a programmer and have no idea about coding. I am the visual designer of our newly started game project.

I wonder how I should export character meshes and textures in order for my programmer to take it all into the engine safely to make a character customization feature for our game.

Like most modern MMOs the players can use sliders to manipulate the proportions of the basic character, and in 3d apps we call it "morph targets". I use Cinema4d and I know Unity can import C4d files directly, but I don't know how I should set it up for export.

I want head and body to be of the same mesh to avoid ugly edge at the neck area. Then I would like to have one or more sliders for the body adjustment, and a toggle button between the different head shapes, which I want all to function with morph targets. Is this possible and how?

Also I want players to be able to toggle between different face textures, but thats easy to do, right?

I would appreciate any advice :)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

No, morph targets are not supported.
    You can only use bone animations.

3. Xerilon

Xerilon

Gah..Too bad.. Thanks! :?

It would have been cool though!

4. TJB

TJB

I've done this before using bones. It might not be as ideal as morph targets but it worked pretty well. See it here:
    http://thomasbaron.concretecellar.ca/facemorph.php

Hold Z and move the mouse to rotate around the face.

The face in this demo is pretty poor since I made this quite a long time ago, but it still demonstrates the concept.