Search Unity

Mesh/textures problem in a model from Maya

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by LabMatti, Feb 15, 2018.

1. LabMatti

LabMatti

Hi everyone,

I'm having 2 problems with a model from Maya.

1 - The model is splitted in 2 main parts. One of them has a lot of verices and Unity automatically divide the mesh in 12 sub-meshes. Is there a way to decide how it divide the mesh? I need this mesh with a transparency and this creates a lot of problem during the movement of the object...

2 - If I try to apply any material with any textures the mesh just show the "base color" of the textures and not the real textures.

Any ideas?

thank you and scuse me for my poor english...

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

In Unity - I'm unsure if this is controllable.
    Before importing into Unity - separate the model into pieces manually based on your preference. The vertex limit is 65535 so if you can identify areas that can be broken apart within that vertex count - how you want it to be - it is better to do it manually, rather than leaving it up to software to control how a large mesh gets divided up.

A good rule of thumb - common for 3D modelers - is to separate meshes based on smoothing groups or UV shells. Sounds like you would prefer UV shells. Most 3D packages allow the user to view the UV shell borders. Consider using that feature to divide the mesh manually before importing into Unity.

Also see here for more reference on the vertex limit
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/65535-vertices-limit.294585/

3. LabMatti

LabMatti

Ok, so it's how I thought...
    Thank you very much!