Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Megabyte Punch!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim_Reptile, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. Rastafari

Rastafari

Epic...

3. J_P_

J_P_

That looks like a lot of fun :)

4. SteveB

SteveB

Excellent work.

First thing that stuck out is the character movement and the fluidity of jumping; it's satisfying to simply double-jump and then jetpack boost up, all with great effects (white and blue impacts/jets). Artwork is very easy to read and fun.

Combat is only 'alright' currently. It takes too long to destroy an enemy and no amount of 'playing better' improves my ability to defeat an enemy quickly/efficiently, or at least I don't notice it, and combat devolves into button mashing (absolutely not fun). In other words, being told techniques that are powerful, end up not feeling like much (e.g. the jump attack...SPACE, S, LMB). The animation and effects are far too subtle and the timing isn't obvious (can I attack immediately or only when I'm right above the enemy?). The shield break ( Q ) doesn't appear to do anything of any value when I hit the shield guy with it. In both of these instances I would enhance their effects with broad animations and clear indicators/reactions from the enemies. Ultimately masterful play and timing should reward the player with noticeably increased damage so I'm compelled to play 'better'.

One reaction though that I enjoyed was the terrain being destroyed along with the enemy. A great opportunity here to make it so the player can use the enemy as a tool, destroying them in opportune locations to gain access to secret areas, or even aiding in damaging more difficult enemies.

Lastly mini descriptions of the various upgrades would be valuable, both for a bit of narrative context, which is always interesting, and just to know what exactly they are.

In any event, what you guys have now is pretty enjoyable so good job all around.

-Steve

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

lOOks, awesome.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

Looks good. Nice :D

7. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Thanks!,

And thank you Steve for the great feedback! i'll try to clear some things up :)

Everytime you hit an enemy, his damage is scaling ( compare it with the damage % in super smash bros ) higher damage means more distance when hit. If the enemy collides at high speed he will fall apart as you noticed. I really like the fact that you noticed the enemy usage as a "tool" There are quite a few spots where you can use this tactic!

There is one important thing we didn't made clear in the tutorial, ( only a npc's mentioned it somewhere ) You can build up damage using default attacks. And finish them of with aerial attacks. Combine different directions in the air while using the LMB. Jumping forward and attacking let you do a flying kick, perfect to finish enemy horizontal against the wall. While holding the up key (or W) and attacking you will kick the enemy high up in the sky. You can finish him with a combo, kick him up in the sky, jump towards him and hold down (S) while attack to perform a heavy backflip kick to destroy the enemy on the ground below you. There are loads of combinations of attacks you can do while using your direction keys that are way more powerful than the default punches. Those punches are basicly meant as a filler or attack to boost your damage on the enemy.

I hope this makes sense. If you try the fight mode you will see the normal punches only raise the damage on the enemy. The abilities and the aerial attacks are the ones to finish off those guys. Experiment with those attacks and you will see how powerful they can be :) In the fight mode you will also discover thatwe meant something else with breaking shields. The shield that little blue enemy is wearing is an actual shield part which only increases the stat of the shield. This probably sounds very difficult. If you press "E" there is a pink globe thing around you, that is the shield you can break. The enemies in the adventure mode won't use this ability, however the bosses/enemies in fight mode will use them to defend themselves.

The mini discriptions are a good idea, however we tried to cover that in those little emblems and let the player discover the functions of 'm. Not sure if that is final.

Anyway thanks for playing and your extensive feedback.
    I hope I made some stuff clear :)

8. CosmoKing

CosmoKing

That demo was incredible. It's probably one of the best gaming experiences that I've had in recent months. The distance you get set back in the level after loosing 2 lives seemed a bit annoying, but other than that it was extremely fun.

9. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

Great game but I couldn't stick with it, as the keyboard setup felt too awkward. You'd gain a lot more potential buyers if you incorporate joy-pad controls.

10. PolyMad

PolyMad

Simply great: great controls and graphics and the game is promising.
    As a game should be done: starting from satisfactory controls and game, not from graphics or game mechanics.

11. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Cosmoking: What an honor to hear that! We are working on checkpoints to minimize the pushback when you die :)

glom1envisage0: You are able to use an xbox controller, the keys are optimized for that :) Just attach a joypad, go to options and select the controller icon. That should do the trick! Enjoy!

megmaltese: Thanks! We believe a game should be fun at it's core. That is why we kept the visuals relatively simple :) thanks for playing!

12. TehWut

TehWut

This game is awesome! very polished, very fluid with great graphics!!

I must say the controls a little bit cumbersome, perhaps less buttons, and fighting with the mouse just didn't cut it....(it worked fine, but I felt I couldn't really flow with the fighting), and I wouldn't be criticizing unless it was such a good game ;)

13. diddykonga

diddykonga

It looks very good, i like the destructable terrain.
    Very close concept to my current project :)

14. glom1envisage0

glom1envisage0

I tried again to no avail. I seem to be the only one experiencing this error so perhaps I've got something incorrectly configured.

15. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

TehWut: Thanks! Instead of using the mouse you can also use "B" as the left mouse button (attack) and "N" as the right button. I must say I prefer playing the game with an xbox controller for windows, unfortunately there are not too many around having those :) Thanks for playing!

Diddykonga: Thanks!, Curious about your own project:)

glom1envisage0: That is odd, what kind of controller are you using?

16. Gorlog

Gorlog

excellent game! very solid simple good graphics!!!

but need some information on parts we collenting my opinion controls are good "5" button noproblem for me " starcraft apm player" :)

realy good job 2 pll well done

17. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Very cool! Super Smash Bros and Megaman vibes combined. I like it :)

18. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

19. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

We updated both the demo and the pre-order version. Check it out and support us by pre-ordering the game so we can fund further development of the game! :cool:

Major Updates:

20. Lime_x

Lime_x

The demo is awesome! Keep up the good work. :)

21. Priske415

Priske415

EDIT:
    Sticking my foot in my mouth now, played a bit longer and started using the AD control's as well as the up and down attacks. This game is fantastic.

The game is awesome but there are some serious functionality flaws with the key layout.

currently my fingers are all bunched up on the right side of the keyboard and dont just rest on the keys I use

I would recommend:
    Space= normal attack
    Z = special attack
    X = sheild

This was your hands are spread, and can lay gently in areas where its easy to push. The main attack should be the easiest to use, a thumb on the space bar is always best for that. Fingers dont get lost with the arrow keys so use those to the fullest, dont wast the up and down. There is no need to have 1 key for jumping and 1 for entering, your over complicating something simple.
    Lastely with the thumb on the keyboard the two most natural keys are Z and X. Use'em!

A few game-play pointers: The feeling of building up is more compelling then that of adding on. Maybe start the player with no special ability and and maybe even default legs that don't actually do anything. This way, as the player progress he builds apposed to becoming flooded with loads of parts that you dont understand. Starting smaller allows the player learn what the parts are doing and understand there signification.

All that said this is wonderful and if the functionality is cleaned up, something I plan to pre-order.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  22. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Thanks for your feedback Gabriel!

Playing with WASD is something we really prefer. However you are able to alter the controlscheme if you like in the standalone version of the game :)

23. Priske415

Priske415

Yes once I got into motion with the WSAD It made a lot more sense. Love the project and cant wait for updates.

Im going to try and give it a longer run today and give some more intelligent feedback.

24. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Megabyte Punch has been updated! I edited the first post with the new changelog and 2 screenshots! Enjoy :)

25. Clydegrant

Clydegrant

How much performance will I lose by cutting a pre-made ethernet cable and dropping it in a wall?

26. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

About 3! xD

27. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

We uploaded a short gameplay video of the latest version! Check it out!

We also updated the demo! You can play it in your browser on Kongregate or download the standalone from Desura!

28. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Oh cool I saw this on Polycount this morning
    It's looking real good!

29. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I want it , android port please .

30. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

31. tylernocks

tylernocks

This game kinda inspired me to become a game developer, so I really want you to know THANK YOU!!! THIS IS DA GREATEST GAME EVA

32. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Thanks Tylernocks! Really appreciate that.

Megabyte Punch is now featured on https://indiegamestand.com/ so you can pay what you want for a limited time!

33. mamoniem

mamoniem

hahahah, looks little crazy cool game , i really like it.
    Did you guys use Tidy Tile Mapper to build your levels , it have the same soul of 3d tiles;
    Great work;

m;

34. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Thanks man, we built a custom system where the pixels are tiles.
    So we draw our levels in paint and every combination of RGB can refer to a specific tile. In unity we define which RGB value refers to which block and that's it :)

This is a part of the image we use to build a level in MBP.

35. Zed134

Zed134

Watched your video, played your demo for ~5 Min., buying it right now! Just great! Oh and already recommended it to some friends. Projects like these have to be supported! Keep up the good work!

36. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Damn, I was playing so well.... then the first boss started kicking my ass.
    For being so cartoony/not photorealistic, the game feels very tactile - I can almost feel my punches knocking that, um, whatever the hell that was, through a few feet of wall. Very satisfying.

37. mamoniem

mamoniem

intersting, Thanks for the information

m;

38. Saikobooru

Saikobooru

The controls are amazingly good. It's as if you guys completely read my mind!
    On one hand, I'm a little sad, since this is exactly the kind of game I wanted to create at some point, but on the other hand, I think it's super cool that the game exists to begin with! The best of luck to you guys, and I'll be supporting/keeping an eye on the project.

39. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

Thanks for your support you guys!

@Zed134: Thanks I hope your friends like it as well!

@PhobicGunner: Oh yes bosses need to kick asses! He is a little bit hyper though we might nerf him a littttile bit.

@Mamoniem: No problem :)

@Saikobooru: Thanks man! Don't be sad though, if we screw up with this game you can always make a better one! :D

40. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile

41. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! Bookmarked!

42. Gorlog

Gorlog

i play it i love i alot! :D very good work indeed!

43. Tim_Reptile

Tim_Reptile