Search Unity

Masterserver Facilitator dropping connections

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tfeldt, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tfeldt

tfeldt

Hello all, I've been pulling my hair out in chunks all day because of this. It clearly states that the unity technologies hosted masterserver is not for production use. Thus I downloaded the source, compiled it and ran it on the appropriate ports. I updated the client with the following lines;

MasterServer.ipAddress = "91.123.198.89";
    MasterServer.port = 12345;

Network.natFacilitatorIP = "91.123.198.89";
    Network.natFacilitatorPort = 50000;

Network.connectionTesterIP = "91.123.198.89";
    Network.connectionTesterPort = 50000;

Everything seems to work as expected, the server runs, the clients connects just fine, when I Network.InitializeServer the game gets added to the masterserver's internal database and shows up when other clients poll it. The issue is with the Facilitator service.

It is running because the log clearly shows the correct IPs. But for some unholy reason it drops the connections after a couple of seconds. Here's a log snippet of the masterserver-facilitator;

debian:~/unity3d_masterserver# ./masterserver
    14-09-2010 01:36:48 Unity master server BETA version 0.1.0
    14-09-2010 01:36:48 Master server port set to 12345
    14-09-2010 01:36:48 Facilitator port set to 50000
    14-09-2010 01:37:11 Facilitator: New connection established to 94.254.94.154:36558
    14-09-2010 01:37:23 Facilitator: Connection to 94.254.94.154:36558 lost

I'm at a total loss as to what is wrong here. The server is mint and there's absolutely no iptables or other firewalls / routers / reindeers between it and the clients. It is not dependent on my own network or computers since I've verified it off-site on other machines. The result is always identical. I even tried running the masterserver on other physical machines with the same result.

I know there's nothing wrong with my client code since it works absolutely perfectly when I comment out the lines at the top and connect to unity's masterserver, but since it's not recommended for production use I really need to get this sorted. The game is set for release within a couple of weeks. I naively assumed that setting up my own masterserver would be a matter of compiling, rc'ing and setting up a cron entry to restart it every now and then. This issue caught me entirely off guard.

I've thoroughly gone through the forum and found several other references to this problem. Some claim that they received an updated version of the masterserver (newer than 0.1.0) that is so far unreleased, others went unanswered. None seem to explicitly state how to fix the issue.

Many thanks in advance,
    Anders

2. tfeldt

tfeldt

Sigh, sorry about that. It turned out that conntester wasn't connecting properly to the masterserver / facilitator despite an encouraging initial message from it. In my caffeine deprived state I not only failed to verify the state of the conntester but I also missed the relevant bit in ConnTester.cpp. Feel free to ignore this thread.

3. zumwalt

zumwalt

Just play with the old but wait for U3 to be fully released, trust me.