Search Unity

Masterserver confusion

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by psx, Sep 25, 2009.

1. psx

psx

I m having a bit of an issue with the master server. Basically, when I initialize the server and call registerHost, that host doesn't show up in the list for other clients unless they call Masterserver.requestHostList again. Is this how it's supposed to work, or should the list update automatically whenever it changes? I thought this is what pollhostlist was supposed to do?

Thanks!
    Psx

2. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

requestHost tells you the hosts for your copy of the game ie. if your on one computer and call it but don't on the other the one that calls it will get the list but the other won't.

3. psx

psx

Right, I understand that. After reading it again, my questions aren't very clear. What I meant was, the only way to refresh the host list on the client is for that client to call PollHostList. I was assuming that when a host is added, removed or otherwise changed that any clients who were subscribing to the master server would automatically get updated. It seems that this not the case, and makes sense as to why.

Let me just make sure then that I have it straight:

RegisterHost -either adds to or creates a host list if one doesn't exist
    PollHostList - actually grabs the list from the server
    updateRate - how often the server notifies the masterserver of changes (like number of clients).

Psx

4. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

yep all that is right