Search Unity

Resolved MASSIVE ping after implementing FizzySteamworks into my poor game.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by QuickiSticki, Dec 2, 2021.

1. QuickiSticki

QuickiSticki

Hey all!

Yesterday I implemented the FizzySteamworks API into my game so that I could use Steam to handle LAN and WAN connections for my game matchmaking. Downloading and installing was a pain, but I got it in the end. I then went and play tested my game to find that I now get 4000+ms ping on clients, vs the ~15ms I used to get.

Using the Mirror NetworkManager and KCP Transport, I was getting very good ping to clients, around 15ms, like I said. Now, testing with both LAN and WAN connections, I get a steady ~4000ms ping, which makes the game unplayable. :(

Has anybody ever heard of this happening? I am using the Steam App Id 480. I thought maybe Steam slows game connections down when they use that code because they are supposed to be for "testing" purposes, but I don't really know.

Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (26).png

Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!

2. QuickiSticki

QuickiSticki

For any future visitors, I did find my problem and solution. My problem was that I was running too many Network Transforms in my game and updating them too often. My solution was to turn off the network transforms when they were not need. My ping is now back down to 20-40ms, which is perfect. Hope this helps!