Search Unity

Massive Clouds Atmos / Massive Clouds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mewlist, Nov 9, 2018.

1. zhn17

zhn17

Is there a way to fix the issues with this asset when you for ex, have emission and clouds on? Currently the emission just says "Bye bye" and never appears again until you literally toggle every feature off in the Forward Renderer then back on again.

2. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Yup. Been working fine for me for some time now without issue. Have you installed the included MassiveCloudsAtmos-UniversalRP-7.3.1.unitypackage? I know it says 7.3.1 but I believe it's actually been modified to work with 10.2.2 .

3. ExcellencyHong

ExcellencyHong

hi,
    how can i reduce this phenomenon?
    i'm using this plugin on HDRP.
    the clouds renderer type is authentic and turn on horizontal with relative horizontal option.

upload_2021-2-8_14-1-52.png

4. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

This looks like that it could be Scatter / Shading distance balancing issue

You could rebalance the two values in your cloud profile to see if you get a better result.
    ( Screenshot based on HDRP / Physics renderer)

Attached Files:

5. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Hey @Exeneva, as @ProtoPottyGames, suggested for runtime The AtmosPad prefab often fixed this before for people.
    We had a similar issue with this on static scenes for console tests to our team.
    Irecomend you include it in some way, even if it is a pain right now for you.
    You can add the script component and disable it, or you could extend it into your custom script that you have running from the AtmosPad.cs, up to you in that sense.

Also If you're using above verified/or LTS unity versions and pipelines, asset publishers will either focus on production ready users or preproduction stage users, it may be that you're running above whats currently supported at this time, takes them some time to push preproduction versions just because it changes so frequently.

Finally you could A/B a test build with and without to see if it fixes the issue overall that way you could get a sense of this for later stages of your production cycle.

Hope that helps some.
    All the best.

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  6. antsonthetree

antsonthetree

@mewlist I also would request this feature - thanks!

7. alphabean11

alphabean11

@mewlist I have a big problem. At night, when I look at the sky, the entire environment goes extremely white. Everything has textures so it shouldn't be this bright. I have auto exposure turned on, but even with it off, it still blows out. I am using HDRP on Unity 2020.2.5 and the custom pass. I also had to adjust my auto exposure values to see the clouds during the day, but they still feel too dark. But the whole scene gets blown out if I go any lighter. It is almost as if I am getting no light during the night, like there isn't any ambient light coming from massive clouds atmos during the night.

Attached Files:

8. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

day massive atmos clouds test.jpg night massive atmos clouds test.jpg

Hi @alphabean11 it looks like you may have two issues.

Firstly i'd recomend looking at your scene turning off the custompass in your hierarchy for the clouds and checking your base level exposure, this is because the clouds lighting is decoupled to HDRP lighting PBS lighting. i think an update came out in the last couple of days to factor in HDRI cubmaps.

if that all checks out you can reenable your custom pass and check to see if the clouds over expose the scene, if they do then you'll have to check your profiles and "illuminance fix", i believe this was a feature added because of the fact the Clouds don't attenuate to certain skies ( as mentioned above)

-EXPOSURE-

Turning off any post processing volumes or exposure based setting in your HDRP defaults, that way you can cleanly check your exposure settings.

set your directional light to your target Day settings ( can be anything between 2500-120,000 LUX since HDRP is HDR default, and then calculate your EV.

2020 introduces a simpler "exposure target" slider on directional light that helps to determine what the slider should be set to for a given scene. icon of a sun bulb, noon etc,

This isn't a required fact, but it helps conform lighting sets ups from real world values or even other programs or teams, it unifies you all to the same page and is probably the biggest curb for either newcommers or unity users from the pre existence of High Dynamic Range.

You can also manually Log2 calculate it if you have the values already such as LUX or target camera settings from real world ref.

the formula for the latter is:
    Log2 ( aperture / (Shutter speed)

you can then go into your exposure volume component and adjust your Min Max limits in your auto exposure accordingly. This is where i think your main problem may exist.

in 2020 + you can also activate the histogram and dev view to help show you these values too as a helpful guide for your general art team/lighting asrtists.

you can als ocreate indoor volumes exposure limits also to help balance artifical lighting with your natural lighting.

everything here applies to both 2020 and 2019 just not the lighter or histogram, but the exact priciples apply, it's no different.

Moving onto your clouds, this is where it gets a little tricky.

By default Massive Atmos Clouds doesn't take into consideration PBS rendering on custom, thats what it looks like you're using from the screens. hence when you turn to night the clouds stay the same exposure.

im hoping @mewlist is has this in the pipeline too, but since PBS is still in preview, it makes sense for them to keep polishing regardless.

You could use luminance fix to help lerp between your profiles, maybe that woudl work, but it depends on how your day night is specifically set up ( in lighting and exposure.)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/massive-clouds-atmos-massive-clouds.581182/page-10#post-6400517

@dmchaderer's post above has had some success with this, and i did reach out to him a while back to see if it was still a valid solution for him, but i haven't heard back.

If that part applies for of course: HDRP + PBS

Edit: added a quick screenshot to reflect the above

Hope that helps you some.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    alphabean11 likes this.
  9. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

@Exeneva have you since had any luck with this?

i recall recently there was a huge unity bug that was affecting people not being able to pull the lastest builds from the asset store.

You'd go through the motions and installs but it wouldn't actually grab the latest

It generally was very difficult to spot too in some cases that people just weren't getting the latest build Downloaded to their App data folders.

Just a thought but id check your local files just to be sure, as i'd say you're within that timeframe of the bug and you may not be aware.

and if that is the case just remove the app data version:
    DRIVE:\Users\USER\AppData [HIDDEN]\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\mewlist

and download / import from Package Manager.

10. alphabean11

alphabean11

This is all really good feedback! Thank you. I still feel like the ambient light isn’t really effecting the scene as well. Would it be better to use the other option? The sky volume instead of the custom pass? I have no reason for custom pass other than it’s what I chose

11. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

@alphabean11

Thanks I'm glad to hear.

For HDRP and PBS, the ambient probe will be captured or baked depending on your set up, you'll find this under your visual environment component of your sky volume, if it's set to static you will only capture the ambient probe on change via code. Dynamic sets it to realtime essentially.

You can then reflect this in your lighting tab under Windows > Rendering > lighting > environment tab and drop your profile in there.

You could then use an Indirect Diffuse Lighting Multiplier override with your sky volume and bump it a tiny amount, I'd use the render pipe line debug view and go lighting> lighting > debug mode> indirect diffuse while you change the settings, otherwise you might break your lighting balance.

Funnily enough if I'm ever tweaking the indirect, I often think of toy story and how that looks, it tends to match the idea in my head of the debug view, but there's likely more science behind that.

If you use the other profile on the Atmos setup, you just won't be as to use the inject points hdrp has for things like Physically based sky. It should otherwise work with HDRIs, procedural(legacy) etc.

alphabean11 likes this.
  12. alphabean11

alphabean11

Should I have the HDRP sky setup and the custom pass setup from the wizard under scene setup? I just had custom pass setup for the first go, but then I setup the other one and turned off custom pass.

13. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Hey @alphabean11

You can't have both just because they're differnt render states, for most use cases, you can probably use the first one and remove the custom pass.

Technically you only need the custom pass if you plan on injecting the clouds because of something else not rendering in the right manner, like hair transparency cards that use a strange method or, if you just have something that doesn't have the correct render order say you want the clouds to take post processing at a different stage.

iIagine render order as glass stacks each with a small detail on them that combine make a picture,

if you take two of these like clouds and mountains, if you put the clouds and then the mountain, when you look at it, the clouds would be over the mountain, this may not be ideal ( in most cases this is true) if you put them the other way,then it renders mountains then clouds which would seem correct.

the custom pass allows utlising a limited few points where you can inject between these "slides". if you dont need that then you can go ahead and use the standard HDRP sky setup on the atmos Wizard.

Note: i did ue 2019.4.20 for this, but the same rules appy in 2020, you have the benefit of being able to set the target EVs correct easier as mentioned in my previous post too.

I've made a super quick video for you on just the general set up using the default set up from the Docmentation.
    http://massive-clouds-atmos.mewli.st/mca_setup_hdrp_en.html

There's no sound but i gave a rough chapter headline where you can maybe see how and where everything is connected.

I can't recomend it enough but there's also this fantastic Unity video on lighting, exposure, AA and shadows. this is an extremely valuable video especially for those heading into HDRP and who may or may not have a background in composition and lighting.

You can work off of these idels and priciples to build your own lighting enviroment and then apply that knowledge to the settings and setup on the Atmos Massive Clouds to apply the look and values you're looking for.

AMC generally has a more Stylistic approach but it's very easy to match with Real world values too if you're looking down that route.

Hope that helps some.

If you're still having issues with your super white buildings/ sky just doesnt look right, feel free to send a video / or screens of your set up, i'm sure folks here could dig into and help too.

----

At the end of the day for lighting in HDRP there's an extremely large amount of range for exposure and a few places that need to be considered for it, but it has a better way of measure real values instead of 0-1 so it makes it much easier to reflect lighting conditions for everything.

Direcitonal light exposure
    Sky exposure
    PBR based materials yay or nay
    SRGB ->ACES colour space workflow
    and then working out how third parties play into this.

Personally i commend @mewlist here because this is a heck of a challenge, but they've done a fantastic job imo.

also i apologise for my super long posts, im not the best at being consise in situations like this.

ProtoPottyGames and alphabean11 like this.
  14. alphabean11

alphabean11

I've been working on an issue for a bit and can't seem to solve it. I have rivers and an ocean, but they render in front of the clouds and the fog generated by Atmos Pad. I'm on HDRP. How can I solve this? I've tried changing sorting order but it hasn't given me any luck. I'm using the HDRP sky.

15. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Hey @alphabean11
    i'd open up your frame debugger and check both MCA and your river and ocean's pass.

since you're on HDRP check your injection points and which rendering option you're using (deferred/forward)

if you're using MCA as a custom pass, then you can choose any of the injection points availible.
    you'd need to check this with your river and ocean too, if they cant be changed, you may have to write some code to weigh them.
    HDRP-frame-graph-diagram.png

Attached Files:

16. Cheo6

Cheo6

Hello everyone, I'm trying to modify an Atmos Pad's earth tilt and axis values through a c# script, but these values cannot be changed unless the pad is selected in the editor, and using an animation clip does not seem to work at all. Can anyone help me out with this ? Thanks in advance !

17. chengkachun

chengkachun

I have same problem now. But I am not quit understand your method. It will be great if you can screen cap how to make it.
    Thanks

18. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn

Is there a way to control cloud speed and direction? Scrolling is set to 0,0,0 at start but the clouds are moving at high velocity.

19. HulloImJay

HulloImJay

@mewlist Is there a configuration of this plugin that would work with the URP and OpenXR plugin? I'm hoping to get it working on the HTC Vive.

The documentation says "Universal RP(VR) Single Pass - Unity2019.3, Unity2020.2" is supported, but "Single Pass" does not seem to be available, at least with the OpenXR plugin. Only "Single Pass Instanced" and "Multi Pass", which the documentation says is not available.

Am I out of luck here?

20. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Do you have an ETA for the 2020.3x LTS?

There are some issues with the Directional Light intensities.

21. alphabean11

alphabean11

I’ve noticed my FPS drops by half (150 FPS to 70 FPS) when I turn on massive clouds. Is there any ways I can increase performance! I’m on HDRP

22. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

I upgraded to 2020.3 and scene was pink.

I read there was an update to fix 2020.3 (built int render pipeline) and pink whent byt my clouds are black!
    upload_2021-4-18_18-46-23.png

I tested the demos ans theese seem to work. Theese use the camera effect, I was using the post process stack

I added the camera effect, instead of postprocess stack but my clouds still black

FOUND THE ISSUE, all ambient colors where black, may be this is a new param and default is black
    upload_2021-4-18_18-58-17.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  23. lstewart

lstewart

@mewlist Is it possible to use a custom seed to always render clouds the same way on start? I'm recording 360 videos and because Unity uses 6 cameras to capture a cube, the clouds look different on each cube side. Being able to have the same initial state on each camera will allow to have seamless clouds on the 360 video.

24. ethaneditsbusiness

ethaneditsbusiness

How can i change the speed of the clouds?

25. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Scroll speed on the clouds tab, it's near the bottom

protopop likes this.
  26. DavidBVal

DavidBVal

What is the recommended way to change the clouds and load new profiles through code? I want to use this together with enviro and I need smooth transitions to cloudy, etc.

27. taylank

taylank

Hi I'm using Massive Clouds with SRP. In my scene I have clouds rendering in Surface mode. My problem is, whatever I do, I cannot make the clouds hide the sun. The sun is always visible even under cloud cover. I tried setting transparency and dissolve to 0, but still no luck. Render order is set to Before Forward Alpha.

Is there a way to fix this?

28. taylank

taylank

Attaching an example screenshot. Testing with an opaque cube as well. Same problem.

upload_2021-6-23_12-22-17.png

29. taylank

taylank

OK I solved my own problem. For other people's reference: in addition to transparency and dissolve, ramp strength also has an impact on blending with background colors. I had to turn ramp off to get full occlusion.

30. ethaneditsbusiness

ethaneditsbusiness

Hello, I am using this asset with Hydroform for my ocean, and I keep getting this artifact. (I am using standard render pipeline) upload_2021-6-24_17-53-28.png

31. astanid

astanid

I tried URP atmos sky in my mobile project (with default setting) and i got 3 (three!) fps as a result.. is there any chance to set it up to work on mobiles ?

32. idontcareabouthis

idontcareabouthis

Is there some way to do some kind of raycast to query the cloud density at a certain point? I'm trying to implement a lens flare on the sun and I need to hide it when clouds are occluding the sun. Is this possible?

33. ethaneditsbusiness

ethaneditsbusiness

Ive noticed that you cant run certain shaders because the clouds will always render on top of them, how can i make other things render before the clouds? example: propeller blur effect.

34. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

You likely need to set it to either a specific render pass in the URP Renderer asset and/or set up a stencil buffer. Depending on the situation you may also need to switch between asset passes via code.

35. CatchUpWithTheSun

CatchUpWithTheSun

Is there any way to get a standard Massive Clouds camera effect to work on Oculus using the Built-In RP? I've been playing around with it and I really like what I've got set up. It works within the game view when I run it on my computer, but when I try to test it on my Oculus, the clouds aren't there. Any help?

36. MarkusKer

MarkusKer

Hello,

I am having a big problem with the package in a build project. the game freezes with the following error:

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: shader
    at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Material.CreateWithShader(UnityEngine.Material,UnityEngine.Shader)
    at UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) [0x00008] in <5f528563e9f04651878c6c899feba4b9>:0
    at Mewlist.MassiveClouds.CommandBufferUtility.get_BlitMat () [0x00017] in <5a0ea7e9944047749590a0f5a7227bde>:0
    at Mewlist.MassiveClouds.CommandBufferUtility.EnableKeyword (System.String keyword) [0x00000] in <5a0ea7e9944047749590a0f5a7227bde>:0
    at Mewlist.MassiveClouds.MassiveCloudsSkyRenderer.RenderSky (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.BuiltinSkyParameters builtinParams, System.Boolean renderForCubemap, System.Boolean renderSunDisk) [0x0000f] in <5a0ea7e9944047749590a0f5a7227bde>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyManager.RenderSkyToCubemap (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyUpdateContext skyContext) [0x000bb] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyManager.UpdateEnvironment (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDCamera hdCamera, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyUpdateContext skyContext, UnityEngine.Light sunLight, System.Boolean updateRequired, System.Boolean updateAmbientProbe, System.Boolean staticSky, UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyAmbientMode ambientMode, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) [0x00207] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.SkyManager.UpdateEnvironment (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDCamera hdCamera, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Light sunLight, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) [0x0001f] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.UpdateSkyEnvironment (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDCamera hdCamera, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, System.Int32 frameIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) [0x0000e] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.ExecuteRenderRequest (UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline+RenderRequest renderRequest, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd, UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.AOVRequestData aovRequest) [0x00309] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.HighDefinition.HDRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) [0x00bbd] in <4b2a306e2d8e417990b1da83ddd80dc8>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera[] cameras) [0x0001c] in <5f528563e9f04651878c6c899feba4b9>:0
    at UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, System.IntPtr loopPtr, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] renderRequests) [0x00045] in <5f528563e9f04651878c6c899feba4b9>:0

XRSystem.ReleaseFrame() was not called!

Has anyone encountered this before?

I am using Unity 2020.3.0f1
    HDRP 10.4.0
    MassiveClouds 1.1.0

I am using it with a PP Volume. Whenever I enter it this occurs.

Regards,
    Markus

37. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

It sounds like the shaders are being stripped

Try adding the massive clouds shaders to the Always Included Shaders list in Graphic Settings, it may be required but not referenced in the scene so it's just striping it and breaking the rest.

MarkusKer likes this.
  38. MarkusKer

MarkusKer

Thank you, that really solved it!

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  39. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

You are most welcome :)

40. Pomidoriya

Pomidoriya

How to fix this? it happens when i try to turn post processing in camera settings(

Attached Files:

41. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Hey man I just wanted to say thanks for picking up the ball on this asset and helping us non shader witch folk out. I definitely appreciate it for real. It's a nice system that I would love to keep using for my project and likely wouldn't be so easily able if it weren't for the assistance from good Samaritan types like yourself. Shame the dev hasn't been so available lately, but I guess with COVID-19 around and all its an unfortunate possibility that for some, abandoning projects may just actually be due to something quite serious. (obvs hope that isn't the case ofc..) but anyways, yea mang. Thanks a bunch. mucho appreciated. ;)

HIBIKI_entertainment likes this.
  42. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

de nada, and thank you for the kind words, it truly means a lot.

I feel it's important to lend support when able, certainly a life goal for me personally, we're all here together after all.

As for Hidenori, I can imagine he's been extremely busy in Aiming with hope he's safe given the pandemic and all

Maybe support would one day continue, or the product bought out and continued, or replaced as a while.

I do feel it is a wonderful option out there, that doesn't tend to struggle too much even on newer engine versions.

2021 LTS will ship with an amazing cloud system as well, if you've haven't the opportunity in the tech stream to check it out, it is great and the Devs behind it have been extremely passionate about it.

But we certainly have a few projects that still run with Massive Clouds Atmos too!

Thanks again

43. WolfGarten

WolfGarten

Does it work on URP 2021.2?

44. peizheqiyuquyouyong

peizheqiyuquyouyong

Hello! Your cloud solution is really great! But at present, I have an urgent technical problem, that is, after I set up the weather system in any new project, I quit and went to Unity Hub to enter it again, but I couldn't enter it. Do you have a solution to this problem before?

Attached Files:

45. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Has the developer abandoned the asset? I see he haven't replied to any of the ppl since long time.

46. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

it's possible.
    They're generally a very busy developer. and of course, pandemic still has a wide effect and after shock.

For the most part, the asset still works without major issues within most of the LTS realm.
    it will start naturally become more and more obsolete as time goes on and no updates, but that's not a bad thing is its run its course.

47. peizheqiyuquyouyong

peizheqiyuquyouyong

Uh huh, this problem is currently found to occur on 2019.4.0 LTS.
    In addition, I have another question, how to use the demo scene in this resource? When I open the demo provided by you, the scene is pink! But I have associated the script with the camera in the installation steps. Shaders associated with materials in the scene do not exist in assets! And the sky is very wrong!
    upload_2021-11-1_9-0-39.png

48. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

To Clarify, this asset isn't provided by us in any way and we have no professional association with it

In terms of the pink assets, this is due to shaders not being right for the project render pipeline.

Massive Clouds atmos have the project shaders and setup per pipeline so you have to ensure you instal the right package for the render pipeline, you're using.

by default, it's in Built-in.

if you're using URP or HDRP, you will have to install the associated package

Attached Files:

49. peizheqiyuquyouyong

peizheqiyuquyouyong

I know there is no suitable shader, And I successfully installed the right package for the HDRP! but there is no suitable shader in this installation package! Does it mean that you let the user write the shader associated with the material? Can you provide a complete demo?
    @mewlist I can understand that your work is very busy, but I hope you can give me the right direction in your spare time! Thanks a lot!
    upload_2021-11-2_9-15-50.png
    upload_2021-11-2_9-16-36.png
    upload_2021-11-2_9-25-42.png

50. peizheqiyuquyouyong

peizheqiyuquyouyong

@mewlist New problem! The scene of applying massive clouds to unity 2020.3.21-lts is completely invisible! Does this massive cloud have such poor reusability for different versions of unity?

AND!After some time, I found that the problem was more serious in the test of unity2020.3.0-lts version. I couldn't see anything after joining massivecloud!!!
    upload_2021-11-2_14-47-58.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021