Search Unity

Massive Clouds Atmos / Massive Clouds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mewlist, Nov 9, 2018.

1. transat

transat

I don’t think the terrain gets converted with that menu option. You need to select or create a new URP terrain material on the terrain.

Also, remember to set up the massive cloud render feature through Project Settings->Graphics That’s likely why you are not seeing the clouds.

mewlist likes this.
  2. mewlist

mewlist

Hi. Thank you for message.

Sorry, currently no perfect resolution for rendering order problem
    HDRP has limited injection point in their pipeline.

If you use Custom Pass, cloud and HDRP fog can not be rendered correct order.
    And I know many HDRP users want to use HDRP Sky system.
    But Sky setup not allow HDRP Physically based / or hdri sky.

At this article, there is a plan to add more InjectionPoits to HDRP.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...nity-with-scriptable-render-pipelines.924218/
    But currently not.
    If HDRP will get new injection point, I will update assets.

Sorry for inconvenience.

3. mewlist

mewlist

AtmosPad have API to control time.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using Mewlist.MassiveClouds;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.Assertions;
    5. public class TimeControlSample : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     [SerializeField] private AtmosPad atmosPad;
    8.     [SerializeField, Range(0f,24f)] private float time;
    10.     private void Start() => Assert.IsNotNull(atmosPad);
    11.     private void Update() => atmosPad.SetHour(time);
    12. }
    This is minimum runtime time control sample.
    Please assign AtmosPad to component.
    Then run UnityEditor and slide time in inspector, it will change time.

4. mewlist

mewlist

Sorry for the confusion.
    To control the scrolling from Script, set the animation speed to 0 in the Cloud Profile.

upload_2020-7-17_23-4-16.png

5. mewlist

mewlist

Terrain of Sample Scene is not compatible for URP.

Try to create new Material.
    And change Shader of it as Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit.
    upload_2020-7-17_23-9-9.png

Then, set the material to Terrain Component.

upload_2020-7-17_23-10-37.png

Attached Files:

6. djlins

djlins

Hi there, thanks for that. The terrain is sorted. But yes for the clouds themselves it is the Project Settings->Graphics I am having trouble with.
    The options seem to have changed from the PDF documents example.
    I have the following screen. Can you see what I am missing please?

7. transat

transat

The pipeline settings UX is unintuitive and Unity’s docs don’t help. Double-click on the pipeline asset shown at the top of your screenshot. From there you should be able to add the relevant render feature.
    If you switch from your current HQ pipeline asset to another (via a “quality” menu setting in game, for example) you’ll have to make sure those pipeline asset files also have the render features you want for that quality level. For a low quality setting targeting mobile you would likely not include dynamic clouds, though.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  8. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Hello. I seem to be having the same issues as some of the others here in regard to getting Atmos to work with Crest Ocean in URP. I've got almost everything working pretty well for the most part, but unfortunately I can't seem to figure how to make it update my selection changes to the Render Pass Event.

keeponshading likes this.
  9. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

ahhhh...kk. I found a simple solution that seems to work well as long as I'm not missing anything due to render pipeline ignorance..lol
    I was able to get it to work by setting up two Render Pass Event profiles. I set one of them to "After Rendering Transparencies" the other to "Before Rendering Transparencies". Then wrote a simple script that bools between them based on height/whether the player is above or below the surface of the water.

10. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is there any solution to use a mask, so an area would not have clouds?

11. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Could you show up some screenshots and give some more detailed info how massive cloud and crest hdrp are working together and where are the problems.

Currently i use Overcloud and Crest in BuiltIn RP and i am searching an replacement to migrate to HDRP.

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  12. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Hey. Sorry, I cant really comment on how things go for the HDRP version because I've only tested on the URP. You're more than welcome to use my script though if you like. here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18MBDJVfhIGQ1721VDF0bbhixcW0my3aQ/view?usp=sharing

Basically you just set up two identical URP Render Features for Atmos and set one of them to "After Rendering Transparencies" the other to "Before Rendering Transparencies". Then on the script (put it on your main camera) there is a field called "URPFeatureProfile1" and another called "URPFeatureProfile2". Drop one of the render feature profiles you set up prior into URPFeatureProfile1 and then the other into URPFeatureProfile2. (you may need to switch them around if it isn't looking right upon testing in Play Mode..)
    If everything is set up correctly, when the camera goes below a Crest wave it will set the Render Feature to the profile you placed as URPFeatureProfile1, and when above a Crest wave it will switch to the profile you placed as URPFeatureProfile2.

Please do keep in mind though that this is subject to change depending on updates to Crest/Atmos/URP/Unity and god knows what else... XD
    ...also fyi I have yet to test this in an actual build, so I don't know for sure whether it will work outside of the editor.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    keeponshading and Marked like this.
  13. Quiznos323

Quiznos323

Has anyone been successful at integrating Atmos clouds with Azure Sky? Currently using a modified version of Azure Sky for my project, just need some good flythrough clouds, and I love the look of the clouds at the end of the demo video!

14. GlynWilliams

GlynWilliams

Hi, Just got this asset for putting together a demo.

It looks very good, but is behaving oddly in my setup. (URP/ Unity 2020.1.0f1).

The rendering from the game camera when running is exactly what I would expect.
    The problem is the Scene View. (which has its own camera)
    In scenes where there are no clouds required, we are getting clouds.
    Worse, the clouds are obscuring the UI layer.

Scene camera has options to turn-off post processing / skybox / lighting etc.

But none of this has any effect.
    When trying to edit a screen full of 2d UI elements, I can't see any of those elements (except in wireframe).

15. thomas-weltenbauer

thomas-weltenbauer

Hello!

First: Thank you for your good work... again!

As with Massive Clouds, we bought Atmos as well.
    And as last time I try to make this run on PS4 and Xbox.

I will start with PS4 first:
    • There are no shader errors while building... which is good so far
    • If I start the build the image stays pink:
      upload_2020-8-13_11-8-21.png
    • Also there is this error message in the log:
      Code (CSharp):
      1. ERROR: Shader MassiveCloudsAtmosphereMix shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)
    Maybe you can help me.. again!

Thank you!

16. thomas-weltenbauer

thomas-weltenbauer

Oh but I see there are errors while compiling the shader MassiveCloudsAtmosphereMix:
    upload_2020-8-13_11-11-47.png

17. thomas-weltenbauer

thomas-weltenbauer

And also in MassiveCloudsMaterial:
    upload_2020-8-13_11-14-18.png

Forget to mention:
    Unity 2019.4.3f1
    HDRP 7.3.1

18. dmchaderer

dmchaderer

Hi mewlist,
    Thanks for the tip.

I setup Massive Clouds Atmos with the physically based sky as you said, and it works.

The only problem I have now is that the physically based sky seems to make changes to the sun-lights color and intensity based on the rotation angle and on the atmosphere settings I choose. Also the ambient lighting is affected.
    Massive Clouds seems to pick up the light angle but not the modified color and intensity properties.

This is best seen if you try to set up something like a sunset scene.

massive clouds physically based.PNG
    Do you have any thoughts on that?

About the code: I found where Massive Clouds applies its properties to the scene but not where scene properties (like sun light) are applied to the clouds.

Best
    Dominik

unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA likes this.
  19. unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

i'm trying to achieve the same thing as dmchaderer i think. i love the look of this asset except for the coloring. why is the moon so bright and so blue? same goes for dusk and dawn. too much (almost neon) blue resulting in a stinging pink where there should be just hints of blue and more red tones.
    i don't know if my project is causing this but i get these kind of colors even in an empty scene. if this is the default look, i want to suggest to have a realistic look as the base in the future and then let people adjust from there. not the other way around.

that being said. it sounds what i want to achieve (basic realistic looking lighting and coloring) is possible. so i will wait for the response to dmchaderer's attempts.

i also wanted to ask where i can find documentation. i think i'm just being blind but i only learned about the fact that there is a setup wizard and that you can edit the renderers in the inspector from the quoted post above. can someone point me to where these things are documented?
    i'm pretty new to unity and mostly doing C# so sorry, if these things should be obvious but so far i'm a bit lost. i only found massive clouds (minus atmos) documentation on that unity.connect platform so far.

20. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

I assume you guys are setting up a custom AtmosPad controller thingo?

21. unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

EDIT2: i removed my post because all i needed was documentation and it might be confusing for later readers.

i feel really dumb right now. but happy dumb because after an hour of tweaking i have amazing results just starting from scratch in atmospad. i still think the default examples should include a realistic preset not only to get a more generic starting point but because i feel like the example doesn't do this asset justice. just my opinion though. thanks again for this amazing asset.

https://gyazo.com/1a81e4766466a6b610865fa646069864
    the clouds are jsut a placeholder but really happy with the transition coloring. although the sun beams might be a bit overkill.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  22. unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

unity_CxQOrp1og4NjTA

could someone give me a syntax example for MassiveCloudsPhysicsCloud.SetAtmosphere()? i was able to change cloud density like this MassiveCloudsPhysicsCloud.SetMainCloudDensityAdjustment(overcast); overcast being a float. easy enough for a noob like me. but SetAtmosphere is more complicated in terms of syntax and i lack the knowledge on how to use it.

sorry for spamming this thread but i've searched through the scripts all day and i can't seem to wrap my head around it. as far as i can tell i should be set for changing anything else via script once i have a syntax example of this.

@mewlist basically i just want to make a simple inspector to control the physics renderer. Atmospad is very nice but i found for extensively tweaking a day night cycle it can be a bit clunky with the profile nodes. especially faster transitions like dusk and dawn are way easier to tweak with curves and gradients. so getting some documentation on how to control the physics renderer would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  23. transat

transat

@mewlist I'm getting an error when I try to build for iOS and my scene view goes black...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [Exception] MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'Material' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    2. Material.SetColorImpl() at <a87ae9fef14746b6bba546dafb0f6d8d>:0
    4. Material.SetColor() at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/Shaders/Shader.cs:505
    6. MassiveCloudsMaterial.SetShaodwColor() at /MassiveCloudsAtmos/Script/Library/MassiveCloudsMaterial.cs:73
    7. -->73:       ShadowMaterial.SetColor("_ShadowColor", color);

24. transat

transat

Also, @mewlist would it be possible for you to allow users to use the wizard even when they are not an officially supported version of the editor? I'm on 2020.2 and can't use it to set up my scene although it's all working fine otherwise.

25. r3ndesigner

r3ndesigner

Hi guys and publisher, i am using massive cloud, and i noticed my casting shadow are not working, i checked the preset and its enabled, any tips? upload_2020-8-31_17-33-31.png

26. lo-94

lo-94

Sorry if this is answered somewhere but is there a comparison of the features of Massive Clouds screen space versus Massive Clouds Atmos?

Is Atmos just Massive Clouds Screen Space with additional volumetric lighting/fog support?

Exeneva likes this.
  27. whidzee

whidzee

Hello @mewlist I am wondering is there a way to detect if my camera is in the clouds? I would like to add some condensation on the camera lens when I am in the clouds but I'm not sure if there is a way to detect this.

mentalgear likes this.
  28. Exeneva

Exeneva

I'm also wondering what the differences are.

29. jvetulani

jvetulani

Hi!

Bought your asset yesterday and figured out how to control the pad, and access the X and Y on the pad from an outside script. Also managed to run this in URP and it's working fine!

For the life of me I can't find any way to control the speed/direction of the clouds from a script, is there a way to use a specific WindZone object to control the speed and direction of the clouds?

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  30. holdingjason

holdingjason

Had the same question on comparison between atmos and massive.

31. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

Atmos is more feature rich than massive. The clouds are also rendered differently. In massive if you go into the clouds and look into the horizon youll notice banding. In atmos that doesnt happen. This might not be an issue for you if your camera never goes into the clouds, but any game that needs the camera to go up and through the clouds, atmos is better. The atmos pad script allows more control over the clouds depending on time of day, you are also able to layer the clouds based on time of day. I cant remember much about massive clouds, but from what I do remember, atmos feels like massive clouds ++

32. Magmaw

Magmaw

Hi

I'm in 2020.1 and URP 8.2.0. If I set the clouds to render after transparents, transparent materials don't appear unless there is an opaque object behind them. If I set the clouds to render before transparents, transparent materials render normally in the scene view. However, when viewed from a camera in the game view, transparent materials render on top of everything else (except the clouds.)

Is there anything I can do to fix this? @mewlist
    Thanks

33. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Yes, here also same problem. How to make normal working? Birds only when is background object visible....
    img_002.jpg

34. Yanus3D

Yanus3D

Ok I found problem with birds....old surface system (I switched to HDRP/Lit birds surface )

35. Artem-Harmash

Artem-Harmash

got same bug with clouds, urp and ui
    removing profile makes ui showing

GlynWilliams likes this.
  36. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus

Hey there, I can't figure out why my Setup Wizard looks like this, with no buttons:
    upload_2020-9-25_21-22-48.png
    I loaded a blank URP project and that's it. Am I missing something?

37. Marked

Marked

Drag the window open to see the buttons, had the same problem

vonWolfehaus likes this.
  38. vonWolfehaus

vonWolfehaus

Thanks! That got me a little further, but I still didn't see the buttons. Turns out I needed to double-click on URP asset in the root folder, then everything fell into place. Wish the readme was an actual readme with install/setup instructions!

39. Roddass

Roddass

Im struggling here, need a tut on how to reflect massive clouds in water.. I saw previously an explanation but i need it in dummy terms im an artist not a coder.. Apparently I have to create a material etc details below but I need explaining in every detail as I just dont undestand it.. ie for go to suck a tab click create material, In section one change et cetc

Here are the instructions given just need it explain very simply and easily for me
    Thank you for using Massive Clouds
    As a Camera Effect, Reflection Probe does not capture Clouds.

I found how to render clouds into probe.

1. First, create Clouds Material using MaterialExporter.
    2. Then, cover the probe using Sphere Mesh with Clouds Material.
    3. Set Clear Flags to Solid Color
    4. Your Reflection Probe renders Clouds.

This way, you can not skybox clear flag. So, You need to set single color as a Sky Color by Background Color.

Thanks.

40. Artem-Harmash

Artem-Harmash

Hi all
    How to turn on/off massive clouds at runtime (via code)? i has step in game with skybox, and clouds doesn't allow to render it

41. SIV

SIV

Hello,

I got :
    Assets\MassiveCloudsAtmos\Script\Editor\Library\MassiveCloudsEditorGUI.cs(137,27): error CS1061: 'Sprite' does not contain a definition for 'texture' and no accessible extension method 'texture' accepting a first argument of type 'Sprite' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    When i imported the asset, how to fix please ?

42. NGXALEX2020

NGXALEX2020

Hi there,

This might be a simple question. I am using your awesome plug in, in an environment where a plane takes off. Seems like the clouds are moving with the camera. I set up the script on a main cam (non-moving) and viewing it through an animated camera that is parented to a plane.

Anything I can do to fix this?

upload_2020-10-8_11-29-53.png
    upload_2020-10-8_11-30-35.png
    upload_2020-10-8_11-33-15.png

43. dmchaderer

dmchaderer

Hi Guys,

for anyone trying to get Massive Clouds Atmos working with HDRP and Physically Based Sky. I finally had some time to try some things out. Here is what worked for me:

1) Setup MassivClouds as Custom Pass as described in the setup guide

2) Setup the Custom Pass somewhere in your scene.

3) [Optional] Set the Injection Point of the custom pass to “Before Transparent

a. I’m rendering a transparent Moon which has to be rendered behind the clouds. I set the Moon shader pass to “Before Refraction” to get the render order right.

4) Setup your Directional Light as Sun. This will make the Clouds receive the correct light direction

5) [Important] To get the light colors right on the clouds: Go to the MassiveCloudsLight.cs and modify the MassiveCloudsLight.Synchronzie() Function like so:

public void Synchronize(Light light) {
    if (!light) return;

rotation = light.transform.rotation.eulerAngles;
    intensity = light.intensity;
    #if UNITY_2019_3_OR_NEWER
    if (light.useColorTemperature)
    color = light.color * Mathf.CorrelatedColorTemperatureToRGB(light.colorTemperature);
    else
    color = light.color;
    #else
    if (GraphicsSettings.lightsUseColorTemperature)
    color = light.color * Mathf.CorrelatedColorTemperatureToRGB(light.colorTemperature);
    else
    color = light.color;
    #endif

PhysicallyBasedSky physicallyBasedSky; //TODO get a reference to this
    Vector3 sunTransm = HDRenderPipeline.EvaluateAtmosphericAttenuation(physicallyBasedSky, - light.transform.forward, Camera.main.transform.position);
    color.r *= sunTransm.x;
    color.g *= sunTransm.y;
    color.b *= sunTransm.z;
    }

I pulled this Code from the HDRenderPipeline LightLoop.cs. You will need to expose the EvaluateAtmosphericAttenuation Function since it is private by default.

Also you need to get a reference to your Physically based sky. Which should not be too much trouble..

Notes:
    • I am using only one Directional Lights. It’s the same Directional Light for Sun and Moon lighting.
    • I’m not using the Moon Transform of the MassiveClouds Custom Pass.
    • I am not using Atmos pad for daytime and Weather control. I’ve implemented my own.
    • Its also worth taking a look at MassiveCloudsAmbient.cs. I made some tweaks there to get the night lighting right.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Momo_Manbavaran and ElevenGame like this.
  44. Wurstautomat

Wurstautomat

Hi! First of all, thanks for this great asset. The clouds are really looking well!

I startet with a 2019.4.9 projekt with the unity standard shader. After some tweaks everything was okay. Now I switched to the URP and again, everythings looking good. On top of that now I can see the clouds in my scene view.

Now my problem: I want to have clouds in one scene. In three other scenes i don't want atmos. In contrast to the standard workflow, with URP I can only find the atmos component on the UniversalRenderPipelineAsset_Renderer -> Massive Clouds UniversalRP in my project browser. How is it possible to deactivate the clouds? I have never accessed something in my projects tab. Normally I can access everything in my hierachy.

Obviously i'm quite new to the URP :)

My project is a Steam VR project. I use the VR camera in the Steam player prefab.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  45. thestringer

thestringer

Any tips for Unity 2020.2.0b6 unable to run the wizard

upload_2020-10-13_18-55-37.png

46. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

We're using this package for our project, but it doesnt work out of the box when using Assetbundles. It uses a lot of Shader.Find, which even according to the manual should be avoided.

47. Kagami12

Kagami12

Hello,

I'm using a floating origin in my project, and previously in Massive Clouds you could control the offset, which worked perfectly with the floating origin.

Is there a way to do the same in Atmos? I can't seem to find any way of setting an offset in the code.

Thanks, for a nice asset.

JehovahsThickness and Magmaw like this.
  48. Exeneva

Exeneva

Have to echo the words of @TJHeuvel-net here. This asset faces the problem many assets face - it works for small scenes, but the moment you put it in a serious project, you have problems. The code makes the garbage collector work extraneously and there are bad practices in the code such as the use of Shader.Find()

Here is an area of the code that has bothered me for my project:

Every allocation to FogParameter allocates a new instance, which means if you ever modify the fog at runtime, the GC is continually at work.

Also, we've just decided to code our own transitions for our project because AtmosPad is garbage in the way it handles transitions. In addition, due to the performance issues of Massive Clouds Atmos, we are considering dropping the asset entirely and finding a different cloud solution.

ElevenGame likes this.
  49. Doomlaser

Doomlaser

Re-Importing after turning off Caching Preprocessor works in the editor in 2020.2.0b10, but I think the scaling is incorrect when built to webgl. It's stretched out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  50. Devsagi

Devsagi