Search Unity

Managing Trackables

Discussion in 'AR' started by GreeneMachine, Oct 3, 2018.

1. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Hey

Using the ARFoundation Samples project as an example, what is the best/correct approach to hide planes and point clouds in the scene once you have placed the object?

I understand you can disable the managers to stop the session detecting and adding more, but to clean out what has already been detected what is required.

For example: I can get access to the list of current of ARPlanes detected via the ARPlaneManager.GetAllPlanes(), and can either disable the MeshRenderer or disable the entire game object. Then disable the PlaneManager component on the session origin.

But is there more to be done to avoid issues?

Cheers
    R

chedabob likes this.
  2. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Just to add to the above.. I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding how ARFoundation is supposed to be used or if I have a bug.

I added the following code to the PlaceOnPlane.cs on ARSessionOrigin

Code (CSharp):
    1. planeManager = gameObject.GetComponent<ARPlaneManager>();
    2. planeManager.enabled = false;
    ... just after you instantiate the spawnedObject.

My understanding is, disabling the ARPlaneManager will stop the session detecting and drawing new planes. And ultimately I can do the same for ARPointCloudManager.. but Im just trying to get one working on IOS now!

It appears to work fine on Android (ie.stops generating new planes) and anchors the spawnedObject in the scene.. but it causes the session to stop tracking/stall for a couple of seconds on IOS. The result is the existing planes, point cloud and placed object float away from their anchor point as I move the camera, the point cloud also appears to freeze (like its not updating), then the point cloud starts to update again and the plane and placed object anchor in the scene..

The code works fine in Android build.

Unity 2018.2.10
    ARFoundation 18
    ARCore 19
    ARKit 14

Samsung S8
    iPad 2017

3. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Here is the profiler when I disable the plane manager. Appears the XRUpdate stops calling InvokePointCloud... for the duration of the stall I am experiencing during tracking.

Anyone else having trouble disabling the ARPlaneManager on IOS? All I've added to the Sample scene is the lines of code mentioned above. This does not occur on Android. I have another issue on Android, in that changing from an AR scene to another scene stalls for 5+ secs... and that doesnt happen on IOS.

I am using ARFoundation because I want the scale functionality... but Im only trying to test the simple sample scene provided for now to get familiar

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.12.19.png Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 10.12.39.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

@jimmya Any thoughts on this? Anything I can check on my build settings? All I am doing in my test at the moment is disabling ARPlaneManager in the SampleScene after I have placed the cube and it causes AR to loose tracking and the point cloud to stop updating for 6seconds? Only on IOS.

Cheers

Apadmi likes this.
  5. ApadmiUP

ApadmiUP

We're experiencing the same issue - Disabling or destroying the manager is causing the placed object to float off for a few seconds and then snap back. Only evident on iOS, android is much more stable.
    It might be a shot in the dark too, but it does appear to be more common/worse looking on iOS 12/beta.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Apadmi, chedabob and GreeneMachine like this.
  6. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

7. Edur-Games

Edur-Games

Hello!
    I'm experiencing problems on this subject.
    I will try to clean only the planes and leave activated the ARPlaneManager.
    It certainly is a little unstable

8. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

9. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

@Edur-Games Hey, this is being discussed again on another thread. I never got it solved 100%.. Did you ever sort it?
    Thanks

10. Edur-Games

Edur-Games

Hello!
    I haven't solved it either. We will have to wait for some update on this, meanwhile continue with the Arkit plugin that seems more stable..

11. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

@tdmowrer hi, are you experiencing this issue on ios? Ie. Tracking stalls when ARPlanemanager is disabled... and planes, cloud & placed object floats for a number of seconds before eventually snapping to original location and anchoring.
    Thks

12. ryaneugenekelley

ryaneugenekelley

@tdmowrer I would love to know if there is a fix the floating issue or even a work around if you know of one for iOS. I have a App Store push at the end of the week.

13. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

There was a bug in the ARKit package, which was fixed earlier this week. Please update to the latest ARKit package in Window > Package Manager within Unity.

14. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

Glad to hear this should be fixed.

Does this require a min ver of unity, arfoundatiin and target ios? I want to test this.

Thanks

15. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

16. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

Unity 2018.1, iOS 11.3 (12 to use ARWorldMap). The latest version of the ARFoundation package is only needed to support some features of ARWorldMap.

GreeneMachine likes this.
  17. Edur-Games

Edur-Games

Hello!
    It seems that the problem has been solved that there were vibrations and stability. I've tried it on my project and it works a lot better.
    Thank you very much and congratulations on the update!