Search Unity

Make font bigger in Unity editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by supadupa64, Jul 26, 2016.

1. supadupa64

supadupa64

How can I make the font size bigger in the Unity editor?

Or does anybody know of another program that works well to fix this?

I just got a bigger monitor so I could see more of the editor, but now the fonts are super small and it almost feels like a down grade.

BlueDragoness likes this.
  2. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Arbitrary content scaling is something that's in our backlog. Much of the work that was done to support macOS retina is helping us head in that direction. Until then, you'll need to use the OS's scaling functionality to scale up Unity.

For Windows 10, it's the "Change the size of text, apps, and other items" setting. Older versions of windows don't handle scaling quite as well as Windows 10, so YMMV.

CaptureSize.PNG

3. supadupa64

supadupa64

I figured out I can adjust the size of the text in the Unity editor, but the resolutions is a bit blurry. Maybe I need to adjust it one percent at a time until I find out the perfect setting?

I did notice though when the text was a bit bigger, not all the text was bigger. For example I increased my size to 130% and then hierarchy text was a great size, except it was a tiny bit blurry. It made me wonder if I needed glasses. Other windows actually had different sizes. I'll get a screen shot so you can see.

4. shawn

shawn

Unity Technologies

Yep, this is expected behavior, until we get arbitrary content scaling, all the OS can do is render the content at 100% and then scale it up, which will cause blurriness. Unless you scale up to 200%, which will make everything land perfectly on the pixel grid.

5. flutterShift

flutterShift

Hi Shawn, It's 2018 and I'm using 2017.3.1f1
    I Respectfully I say, this is the kind of thing that makes me feel that the code for the Unity System requires heavy maintenance and I fear it will break one day.
    When will this be implemented? I'm using macOS El Capitan 10.11.6

6. TimothyGrant

TimothyGrant

Shawn, unfortunately the scaling no longer works (I believe it broke with 2017.1.On high DPI screens under Win 10 the Unity editor does not scale correctly and the application is not usable unless you set the Unity Editor to NOT scale. on a 3000x2000 screen the font size is so tiny it's pretty much unusable.

See my post here for an image from my machine...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...nd-im-not-complaining-about-bluriness.509582/

And this post here for an image from someone else...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/problem-with-editor-ui.517721/#post-3393234

NeatWolf likes this.
  7. xerplus

xerplus

Does not appear to be scaling text within the Unity Editor. Would be nice to have a solid work around. Older, blinder, more experienced developers really need a larger font.

LorenH likes this.
  8. BlueDragoness

BlueDragoness

I was hoping for a better answer. Anyway, for anyone using windows still finding this:
    You can use "window key" and + or "window key" and - hot key commands to open, toggle, and increase the magnification. It takes some getting used to, but it's working well enough. Better than having the whole thing zoomed up because it scrolls automatically when you mouse to the side.

9. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You can override the the default scale in the UI scale options in the unity preferences.

10. Robsunity

Robsunity

11. xAdamQ

xAdamQ

much needed, thanks