Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Machine-parsable feed of Editor updates and their dependencies

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by david-wtf, Sep 4, 2022.

1. david-wtf

david-wtf

Hi,

I'm trying to build an automated update-solution for the Unity Editor and the dependencies of our project. The idea is to keep a pinned version of Unity Editor (e.g. 2022.1) up to date by performing periodic checks for new releases. I could achieve this by using the release XML feed at https://unity3d.com/unity/releases.xml even though that feed is rather for human consumption (e.g. news feed) rather than machine processing.

However, since Unity Editor versions also come with requirements on dependencies, I would be looking for a structured data source that specifies the dependencies of each Editor version, so that we can bump those versions together with the Editor version accordingly. I assume that Unity Hub uses a non-disclosed API for managing Unity versions and also for cleanly upgrading a project, and would be interested in such an API for our automated setup too.

Does anything like this exist already, or has anyone built such a community managed data source?

Best.

2. david-wtf

david-wtf

Nevermind, I just realized that opening the project in batchmode with the desired Editor version yields the expected package upgrades anyways (without me needing to know any of the dependencies myself).