Search Unity

Resolved MacBook Pro m1 oculus crash

Discussion in 'VR' started by thegreatmiasma, Dec 6, 2020.

1. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

Unity crashes every time I try to import a package that contains the oculus spatial audio bundle, such as Oculus Integration and the XR toolkit. It crashes during the import and then every I try to load Unity. I have tried several different Unity version and they all do the same thing. Is this a know issue? Is there a fix?

thank you

2. SigmaOasis

SigmaOasis

This is also happening on my MacBook Air m1.

3. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

As well as the M1 Mac Mini. I submitted a bug report on December 1st with no response yet (ticket 1296401_ec2gbcst6afk1jen).

4. jj-unity

jj-unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for reporting this. We'll be looking into this and will report back.

ryanslikesocool likes this.
  5. jj-unity

jj-unity

Unity Technologies

I'll be pushing out a preview build with a fix for this today if all goes well.

6. jj-unity

jj-unity

Unity Technologies

Ok, I just published Oculus XR Plugin 1.7.0-preview.2 that should have a fix for this. The current fix was to just remove the Oculus Mac spatializer libraries from the package. If you need them and aren't on a M1 Mac, you can grab them from the Oculus integration asset for now until we resolve the issue with the spatializer library with Oculus.

Note that it may take a bit for 1.7.0-preview.2 to make it out to all the package servers.

If you currently have a project that isn't loading because of this issue, you can manually remove/update the Oculus XR Plugin in Packages/manifest.json. If you have the Oculus integration, you might need to remove the AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.bundle from your Oculus assets folder.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, I believe it should for now.

3rica, grjck and ryanslikesocool like this.
  7. ryanslikesocool

ryanslikesocool

Unity no longer crashes with the package installed, thanks!

jj-unity likes this.
  8. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

I haven't tested it yet but thank you for the work

9. grjck

grjck

How can i resolve this issue in unity 2018?

10. thegreatmiasma

thegreatmiasma

If you haven't solved this, what version of the toolkit are you using?

11. grjck

grjck

I managed to fix it, I just hurried with the question and did not understand.

12. spatial_io

spatial_io

I'm continuing to see this issue after updating to Oculus Integration 23.1 and to Oculus XR plugin 1.7.0.

I deleted:

Assets/Standard Assets/Oculus/Spatializer/Plugins/AudioPluginOculusSpatializer.bundle

which fixes the Unity launch issue on an M1 mac, but then when compiling, I get the following message:

Code (csharp):
    1. ArgumentException: Invalid spatializer plugin name
    2. UnityEngine.AudioSettings.SetSpatializerPluginName (System.String pluginName) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/Audio/Public/ScriptBindings/Audio.bindings.cs:314)
    3. SpatialBuildUtility.SetPlayerSettingsForQuest () (at Assets/Spatial/Editor/BuildProcess/SpatialBuildUtility.cs:205)
    4. SpatialBuildUtility.Build (UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup buildTargetGroup, UnityEditor.BuildTarget buildTarget, System.Action customSetup, System.String[] scenes, System.Action customTeardown) (at Assets/Spatial/Editor/BuildProcess/SpatialBuildUtility.cs:596)
    SpatialBuildUtility.Build (our code) calls

Code (csharp):
    1. AudioSettings.SetSpatializerPluginName("OculusSpatializer");
    which is triggering the issue. Does that mean there's still no supported way to use OculusSpatializer?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/macbook-pro-m1-oculus-crash.1017730/

13. spatial_io

spatial_io

Update: Oculus Integration v25 resolved the issue.

14. CaptainCullen

CaptainCullen

This issue seems to have returned using Oculus Integration SDK v40 and Unity 2021.3.3f1 on an M1 mac running Big Sur 11.6.4. Workaround seems to be to delete the 'Spatializer' and 'Spatializer.meta' assets from the project folder.

Edit:
    While this workaround allows to project to open without crashing, it does not allow a build without errors. Makes this method unusable.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
    bobobee_xr likes this.
  15. bobobee_xr

bobobee_xr

+1 to see this issue coming back to Oculus Integration SDK v40, as @CaptainCullen posted

16. m7mdrf3t

m7mdrf3t

Is there any chance that this issue has been resolved or is there is any workaround to avoid this ?
    I have this on my Unity 2020 , 2021 , 2023 versions