Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

The keyword error is unrelated and cannot cause a slowdown more than any error printed to the console.
    This happens when it's trying to access a non-existing local keyword somewhere.

2. deadalusai

deadalusai

Hello,

Same problem here, lots of "Hold on" pop up. Duration range : from 1min to 3min.
    I cant really tell what triggers it, it's never happening at the same time.
    I wonder if it has not something to do with big scene with lots of gameobjects.
    I cant share my project as it's too big.

It's really anoying and killing productivity...

I dont think it comes from packages, as I have not really much.
    Unity version : 2020.3.2f1 / URP

Here some screenshots :

3. artzfx

artzfx

Totally agree. "Hold on" Editor Application.update popups has made Unity unworkable. Happens mostly when opening and editing prefabs.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  4. Hobodi

Hobodi

"Hold on" is like the motto of Unity. Years of waiting for "performance by default" and in the end an editor that cannot be used without long waiting.

Unity definitely needs its own battle royale to work with the engine and understand the users.

sand_lantern and Ramobo like this.
  5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ok, so the issue is not the progress bar, the issue is "unity is super slow at opening & editing my prefabs". That sounds like something that should be made fast, and I guess the prefabs team would appreciate a bug report with a repro (the prefabs, or at least some sort of description of how they are structured, how deeply nested, how many overrrides etc.). I personally know nothing about prefabs, that's why I'm saying "please file a bug".

sand_lantern likes this.
  6. KospY

KospY

I deleted my library folder and re-imported the project and the long wait seem to be gone.
    Note sure if that will stay for long (it seemed that the issue was getting worst overtime), will keep you informed if it's not the case.

P_Jong likes this.
  7. deadalusai

deadalusai

No. A user said it happens mostly when opening prefab for him.
    It's not what I'm seeing on my part. It's hard to pinpoint this bug to one thing, as it seem's to be pretty random.

I deleted my Library folder too, with no improvement (that I could tell).

TigerHix likes this.
  8. Coderious

Coderious

Application.Quit is on hold now for 3 minutes when I want to quit a project. I have to force close with the task manager each time.

9. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

So your case is that something else is slow. If it's random, then yes it's much harder to say what exactly is slow. Profiling Unity with a 3rd party profiler (visual studio, superluminal, UIForETW, vtune, very sleepy, ...) might reveal something.

10. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

The "Hold on.." message is a very general one, but one of the bugs we just received associated with this forum thread could be related the editor waiting for an import worker process to finish importing. For this specific case of "Hold on..." you should be able to work around it by simply killing the import worker process from the task manager. The import workers are also called "Unity", so to distinguish them from the Editor you can add the command line column in the windows task manager and kill the Unity processes that are import workers (they have -batch cmdline flag and worker name cmdline options set).
    Since the bug we've received doesn't have a reproduction step we would very much like to know if this work around helps so we can create a proper fix.

cspencer0 likes this.
  11. paulodgn

paulodgn

Not sure if i'm killing the correct one, but i killed the one marked in red (image bellow), the only one with -batch flag but it didn't work, Unity remained frozen for a couple more minutes.

I created of the bug reports, Case 1330504.

https://ibb.co/ctqJqSb

Update: After some more testing, killing that task actually improves the freezing time . On a small scene, the editor enters Play Mode instantly. On the more complex scene in the project, it reduces the enter play mode time to about 1 minute, usually takes around 5 or 6 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  12. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

That is the right one you killed. Next time it freezes in there could you possibly copy (before in unfreezes) all the Logs/AssetImportWorker*.log files and attach to the bug?
    I guess there is no way for you to provide a way for us to reproduce either by providing reproduction steps, attaching the project in question to the bugcase or a new project that triggers the behaviour?

13. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

Just noticed your update - ok, then I'm fairly sure about what the reason is. Will work on a fix on the bug you reported...

valarnur, Lurking-Ninja and Gryflir like this.
  14. deadalusai

deadalusai

Hello jdrewsen,
    Thank you for investigating this.

For me, killing the process (second line, with 26 CPU) completly fix the problem immediatly indeed.

Next time, I'll upload the AssetImportWorker*.log.

Can't provide reprocution steps as it seem's random.
    Project is too big to be shared.

EDIT :
    AssetImportWorker.log - while "hold on"
    AssetImportWorker.log - after "hold on"

Hope it helps you.
    Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  15. KospY

KospY

So after 2 days since I deleted my library folder, the issue is coming back. I can confirm it slowly get worst, at first wait time was about 10sec, then the day after it was 1min, now today I need to wait around 5min.

@jdrewsen
    I killed the process and it work! I have a workaround now, thanks for the help! :):):)

P_Jong and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  16. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @jdrewsen

This is good advice. It appears to have reduced the amount of "hold on" messages thus far. :)

But how do we stop Unity from re-enabling the executable? I've killed it twice already, but Unity keeps restarting it.

Is there an .exe we can safely delete?
    Screenshot 2021-04-22 202406.jpg

17. valarnur

valarnur

Which build will this fix for process executable land on ?

18. paulodgn

paulodgn

From what i'm experience i think you have to killed it every time the editor freezes.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  19. deadalusai

deadalusai

The workaround (killing the process) is working.

But it seems that this process is almost always running (when unity is open), even when there is no popup, and taking 25% of my CPU.

Is this going to be fixed in the 2020 LTS version ?

20. paulodgn

paulodgn

Unfortunately this work around does not solve all the issues. The most complex scene in my project still takes around 1 minute or 2 to enter play mode, it was 5/6 minutes before killing the task. Also in the editor itself i get a lot of Hold On messages from simple tasks, saving, open new scenes, sometimes just selecting a gameobject from the hierarchy. So this solution helps a bit on entering play mode, but the editor still have issues.

21. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

The process is actually the same executable as the unity editor executable, just running in a worker mode. So you cannot delete any executable. When I have a fix ready it will be backported as far back as possible - cannot say how far that is right now but my best guess is including 2020 LTS.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  22. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

If anyone who can trigger the issues are willing to try out a custom build of 2020 LTS (or later version) when I have a possible fix ready please DM me with an email.

23. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Thanks so much for the support on this issue @jdrewsen !

Also how can we reduce the amount of console window hosts and unity shader compilers? I wonder if this is affecting the "Not Responding" message from the editor :oops:

(Case 1331382)

Screenshot 2021-04-22 202406.jpg

24. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

It shouldn't have any effect on this. UnityShaderCompiler is a console executable, so Windows is spawning a console window host process for each of those.
    Those executables are waiting for the Editor to request to compile a shader variant. If you have less of those, shaders will compile more slowly.

25. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Ok thanks for the confirmation.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  26. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Horrible! ... there is not one single full working Unity version from 2019.x upwards, where everything runs!
    Just clicking into any window causes such popup now and then. Now for over 7minutes. Could write a book here meanwhile. pfffff......

27. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @jdrewsen
    I sent you the asset import worker. LOG file in a private DM. Hope it helps

Enter play mode takes 6 minutes
    Screenshot 2021-04-26 175423.jpg

Also just noticed that GI takes 4+ minutes (mind you I had 7 red errors in C# scripts too)
    Screenshot 2021-04-26 191257.jpg

28. KospY

KospY

I'm currently using the workaround to kill the import process when the editor get stuck, it's a chore but it seem to work fine for now.

However, since some days the project is now extremely long to open:

I hope it's the same issue, but I don't see the import process when the project open.
    It get worst every day (first it was 1 min, then 5, then 10, etc...)

Does anyone have an idea to fix that? Do I need to delete my library folder every week?

EDIT:
    I removed the file "EditorEncounteredVariants" in shadercache and now project open instantly!

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  29. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

After deleting "EditorEncounteredVariants" Unity took 5 minutes to recompile the shaders. But you're right, after that, entering play mode is fast. Nice find! Hopefully this is it! :eek:

Unity 2021.1.4f1

EDIT: This has been working REALLY well. Not sure what deleting that file did. But entering PLAY is 5-10 seconds now. But I am getting this red error in the console.

EDIT2: I take it back... Lag is back. No idea what caused it. I'm going to try to go back to 2020.3.5 and see if things get better. Stuck with compiling shader.. I'm not using URP just the legacy shader. Maybe that's causing the issue?
    Screenshot 2021-04-28 205844.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-27 224632.jpg

@aleksandrk @jdrewsen

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  30. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  31. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @aleksandrk

(Case 1332782)

Unity crashed on me just now. First thing I did when the editor loaded, was press PLAY. And the editor crashed to desktop.

This was what the log showed me. Do you know what a SIGSEGV is? Might it have something to do with the shader compilation again?

Thanks!

Code (CSharp):
    2. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler.exe after 0.04 seconds
    3. Launched and connected shader compiler UnityShaderCompiler.exe after 0.04 seconds
    4. Setting up 8 worker threads for Enlighten.
    5.   Thread -> id: 2ebc -> priority: 1
    6.   Thread -> id: 82c -> priority: 1
    7.   Thread -> id: 4388 -> priority: 1
    8.   Thread -> id: 380c -> priority: 1
    9.   Thread -> id: 1dbc -> priority: 1
    10.   Thread -> id: 3c58 -> priority: 1
    11.   Thread -> id: 3264 -> priority: 1
    12.   Thread -> id: 3414 -> priority: 1
    13. Stacktrace:
    15. =================================================================
    16. Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
    17. a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
    18. used by your application.
    19. =================================================================
    21. Received signal SIGSEGV
    22. Stack trace:
    23. 0x00007ff6bf26d361 (Unity) tlsf_memalign
    24. 0x00007ff6bbb98497 (Unity) DynamicHeapAllocator::Allocate
    25. 0x00007ff6bbb8d414 (Unity) DualThreadAllocator<DynamicHeapAllocator>::Allocate
    26. 0x00007ff6bbb74a95 (Unity) MemoryManager::Allocate
    27. 0x00007ff6bbb89e7c (Unity) malloc_internal
    28. 0x00007ff6bc7235c7 (Unity) dynamic_array_detail::dynamic_array_data::resize_buffer
    29. 0x00007ff6bb7740e8 (Unity) dynamic_array<RegisteredImporter,0>::resize_buffer_nocheck
    30. 0x00007ff6bde3bff2 (Unity) dynamic_array<UndoPropertyModification,0>::assign
    31. 0x00007ff6bde3274c (Unity) PropertyDiffUndoRecorder::Flush
    32. 0x00007ff6bd792230 (Unity) Application::TickTimer
    33. 0x00007ff6be0ff881 (Unity) MainMessageLoop
    34. 0x00007ff6be1038c1 (Unity) WinMain
    35. 0x00007ff6bff7eb56 (Unity) __scrt_common_main_seh
    36. 0x00007fffd27f7034 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    37. 0x00007fffd3ac2651 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  32. aleksandrk

aleksandrk

Unity Technologies

@Crow_AL the crash looks like it has something to do with the Undo code. I would suggest to file a bug report - this way relevant people can take a look and fix :)

33. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Hi @aleksandrk

Thanks for your help

Yep the bug report \ case should have the .DMP file and the .LOG files. Hope it helps!

I'm now crashing when trying to import packages into the editor. Should be : (Case 1332801)

34. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

@aleksandrk
    UPDATE
    I just noticed the scene size. HOW 450 MB ! ! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

This scene is just a few game objects, used to test new features.

What causes the scene file to get this big, so quickly? You can see the "baseSceneB" backup file is much smaller...
    1.jpg

I guess
    due to the file size I was getting a lot of "Application.Tick" delays and the editor crashes. Also maybe the cause of the spikes in the profiler? :(:D

Does the editor know to DECREASE scene file sizes, after deleting the test game objects and scripts?o_O:eek::oops::rolleyes:

12.jpg
    UPDATE END

What's causing ProfilerWindow.RepaintScene to spike like this?

1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  35. sarisadik

sarisadik

hold on.PNG

Hobodi likes this.
  36. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Bug Report: Case 1332852

So I found something interesting.

Just for curiosity's sake, I started to delete game objects\ prefabs in the 450MB scene, to see what was taking up the file.

The UI Canvas prefab with a deep child hierarchy was 60MB, the most significant change.

I had several simple game objects\ prefabs remaining. (No deep child hierarchies) and Unity popped up a red error.

The file size dropped A LOT after that. Is the Undo Buffer being stored inside the .Unity file?
    44.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  37. deadalusai

deadalusai

I don't want to be too negative here, but this is suposed to be a LTS version, it should mean stable.

It's kind of frustrating and really anoying to have to kill a process (that takes continuously 25 percent of my CPU) every 20 seconds to be able to use UNITY.

Any ETA for a bugfix ?

edit : I'm on 2020.3.2f1

knxrb and Ramobo like this.
  38. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Update
    Hope this helps others

I managed to figure out the cause of the Unity Freezing, Crashing, Application.Tick, hold On etc etc.

If anyone is using Easy Save, try to delete the "Easy Save 3 manager" game object and create a new one. There was something going on there that caused the .unity scene file to bloat up in size and cause the editor to freeze \crash etc.
    Update

How big is your scene file (.unity file) ... I wonder if you have the same situation as I did. :eek:

Does this happen to all your scenes? Or just 1?

For me the editor was freezing and crashing, every time I wanted to play. But I noticed it was only on the one scene.

After installing 2021, 2020.3, 2020.2, 2020.1, deleting \ reinstalling shaders, deleting library folders over and over, eventually I realized it had to do with the corrupted .unity file

I feel your pain. Keep troubleshooting!

I've updated to 2021.1.5f1 now and so far so good. fingers crossed

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  39. Coderious

Coderious

All 2020.3 and 2021.1 versions I tried are concerned by the issue. It gets stuck in Application.Reload when changing random stuff in the code.

Please do something.

40. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Yes! That's right.... Unity just sucks today!

41. dariuspowell

dariuspowell

Hi. Having the same issue with 2020.3.4f1. I can play my scene once before it starts holding. Went to application.reloading when I pressed play but then again on going into preferences. I can't do anything. It holds forever and then have to force quit.

42. AustinSyu

AustinSyu

Same issue, a lot of "Hold on"...
    Can't stand it, I have went back to 2019LTS

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  43. Titangea

Titangea

This is a joke, the team at the company update the project from 2019.4.5 to 2020.3.3 "LTS" because is supposed to be "stable". I lost almost half a week waiting for Unity to open (is taking almost 3 hours a day, sometimes 6 hours, it´s hell). what's the point of launching an LTS version that is not stable?, you are making me losing my time and possibly my job if I can't achieve the objectives because I need to wait hours and hours because of your engineer's mistakes. The project crashes just because I press CTRL+S to save the scene showing stupids windows that blocks all the application for minutes or hours, now I re-open de project and need to wait "any" number of hours to work, I hate this.
    upload_2021-5-6_16-41-7.png

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  44. paulodgn

paulodgn

@Aras @jdrewsen I also have the same problems, explained on previous posts. One weird thing is that in my company only my computer suffers from the long hold on issues, the other computer that has the project does not. If it were a problem with a package it would affect both i assume?

CRYWOLF86 likes this.
  45. Gulliver

Gulliver

Then I start playing mode in the editor -- progress bar with Application.Reload message appears and can take 2-4 minutes even if no changes were made in the scripts or scene. Occurs in the Unity 2020 and 2021 as well.
    "Enter Play Mode Settings" with disabled "Reload Scene" doesn't help.
    Is there a way to fix this or find the cause ?
    Or should I get used to living with such lags ?
    Or maybe there are some diagnostic tools to figure out what asset is taking so long to reload ?

46. Baste

Baste

The profiler (with deep profile enabled) is a good starting point.

47. paulodgn

paulodgn

KarlKarl2000 and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  48. Gulliver

Gulliver

It's impossible to work.
    On the PC with Ryzen 3950x, 64Gb RAM and SSD M.2 2280 -- I have to wait MINUTES for compiling and playing.
    No explanations, no diagnostic, instead of improvements -- Unity editor become even worse.
    Unity developers forces us to switch to the Unreal Engine ?

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    Lockthav and KarlKarl2000 like this.
  49. amit-chai

amit-chai

Have these issues as well, on several versions, even after refreshing the library. this issue continues on 2020 all versions. every hour I need to wait for 15 min till the hang widow is closed. Cant track the source of it. an unbelievable issue, for so long and no solution.

KarlKarl2000 and AlterMannn like this.
  50. altepTest

altepTest

I have this issue on some of the projects.

Unity doesn't complete immediately some of the commands I give it for example save or clicking some button or similar. Instead it waits for minutes, showing the loading bar, then it completes the command.

looking at the task manager unity is sitting there at 5% doing nothing while the loading bar is on screen

This happens some of the time and sometime it works fine.

My theory is that unity doesn't detect the operating system input correctly. I see a lot of errors in the logs about the touch screen not initializing. The computer doesn't have a touch screen so why unity want to initialize the touch screen is a mystery.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    KarlKarl2000 likes this.