Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

It is possible to file a bug and include the Unity project file without the Library folder? have you tried that?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes that's possible. If you follow what I wrote earlier, just exclude the Library folder from the zip archive.

If you submit with the bug reporter tool, you can remove and add files/folders in the list at the bottom. I would remove the project folder and add a zip file that contains everything I want to submit. You could also just add all the folders you want to submit to the list though.

3. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Thanks, it helped to upload my Bug Report and it was answered. However it solution was partially functional.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. valarnur

valarnur

Occasionally, when closing HDRP project in 20.1.5, Unity froze. I had to quit it in task manager to close it.
    This doesn't happen every time.

Capture2.JPG

5. Okido

Okido

Unity is nigh unusable since the 2020 update. It is not just when hitting play, but every time I try to move or rename a file in the project window I get several seconds of "Hold On" messages. It is not the presence of the message box - there is a massive performance issue with Unity 2020. CPU usage also shoots up to 100% for several seconds. Just spent about 30 minutes doing a 5 minute folder cleanup job because of this

6. deab

deab

An observation - I was seeing these delays constantly after updating to 2020.1. Due to the task I was performing I had another (older) version of Unity Editor open, but with only a single Unity Editor instance I've had no real issues.

7. MCillor

MCillor

I was also having this nightmare of a problem, I changed a line of code, opened the editor. 45s of waiting time. Then, another 45s waiting time.
    Ok, good. Now I press the play button, and guess what? Another 45s of waiting time.
    Really small project less than 5 scripts and 1 3D model.
    But with some preview packages installed (DOTS).

I was about to give up, but searching the internet I found a solution that worked for me.
    Just change to run with the Integrated Graphics board. It seems that Unity and NVIDIA are not getting along.

8. d2king10

d2king10

I am on 2020.1.6f1 and was having this issue. The above worked for me. Note: After removing the package (Window > Package Manager. Select "In Project" from the top drop down and it should appear there) you will get a bunch of errors (or at least I did). Re-opening the project fixed the errors and now I no longer get the excessive processing popups.

It does make me wonder why Unity puts this package on by default when not everyone will need it. Seems like it should be an opt-in like most of their other packages.

Cenda likes this.
  9. 100772

Unity 2020.1.6f1 - 27 min Hold on ((

Attached Files:

• hold.JPG
      hold.JPG
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
    Emperor and float like this.
  10. Cenda

Cenda

I can also confirm, that Unity Collaborate Package is the problem. After delete, it works as 2019 :)

Avalin likes this.
  11. caseyfarina

caseyfarina

I'm in 2020.1.2f1 and removing the collaborate package worked. Now I don't have to wait 40 seconds for playmode to activate.

12. DilzwieldKing

DilzwieldKing

Yep, just wanted to hop in and say that I'm in 2020.1.6 and deleting the Unity Collaborate package seems to have worked for now

Had me worried that my computer was dying or something but in hindsight the long loading time seems to have only appeared when I switched from 2019 to 2020 a few weeks ago :confused:

13. Fimiam

Fimiam

this is really awful. Unity just became a glitching tool after 2020 releasing.

"Hold on" window always appears after: did something in the scene, start play mode, end play mode, moves some files.

and it's even doesn't load a CPU or memory. It feels like it''s just broken. Help?
    Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png Screenshot_3.png

14. Zaskar7777

Zaskar7777

I just saw this thread. Application.reload is creating too many problems for me.

See my thread here.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/application-reload.989720/

Application.reload is freezing my Unity editor every second time and I have end task every time.

This is how I am working past one hour.

1. Start Unity
    2. Make changes
    3. Test
    4. End task,
    5. Start Unity.......

How can someone continue to work with this approach? I am failing to understand why Unity wanted to add this popup.

I am now stuck with my project. I cannot make progress. I need help. Please if someone can guide me here.

Thank You!

15. Deozaan

Deozaan

Supposedly Unity's behavior is not any different. It's just that now the pop-up will tell you why the editor is frozen rather than you just sitting there wondering what it's doing or why it's not responding.

In other words, according to Unity, even without this pop-up you'd still be experiencing a locked-up editor and having to end task to continue working.

16. Zaskar7777

Zaskar7777

I tried removing unused components from the package manager, disabled auto-refresh. This is not helping at all.

I worked for 16 hours today and 4 hours spent on closing and restarting Unity. I have just started work on the project with this approach I will not be able to finish it at all.
    Yep, you are right Deozaan! In fact I downgraded my project and opened in 2019.4.1 [LTS] hoping I will not have the problem. Though the popups don't appear the editor still freezes.

I am now embarking on recreating the project from grounds up as I don't see any solution to come out of the current problem.

17. QGGameDesign

QGGameDesign

I confirm that deleting Collaborate did it for me. I don't have to wait 1 minute after clicking play or stop. Also changing the popup delay to 10 secs really improved it, now I click play, wait 5-6 seconds, no annoying pop-up, BAM! Play mode baby!
    I didn't have errors after removing it as said above, for me it worked fine after removing it, later on I also removed "Test Framework" since Unity worked fine without that years ago and "Visual code" since I don't use it and I have read nothing but low spec PC people claiming is worse than VS for them as it doesn't even load the Assemblies, doesnt autocomplete and it's buggy af, while VS kills their PC performance. Thank god I'm not on that struggle and use VS just fine.
    Poor souls of those using that Collab "feature" in their projects.
    And I call it "feature" because GitHub works just fine for this. Might need a bit of extra care and organization but it's YEARS ahead of this performance killer fiasco.

Ramobo likes this.
  18. Ramobo

Ramobo

And if you need more than 1GB per repository, GitLab offers 10GB.

19. Baste

Baste

Or you can put an old computer in a corner somewhere, make a git repository on that, and have a space limit of however large of a harddrive you bother to put there.

20. Ramobo

Ramobo

Ignoring the practical issues of that, it completely defeats the purpose of cloud storage, which is being used for collaboration here.

Now I ran into Google Cloud Source Repositories, which is free for up to 50GB and 5 users (total, not per repository).

21. Deozaan

Deozaan

Buy a little Raspberry Pi and set it up at a friend's or your parents' house by their modem/router. A tiny, unobtrusive box which won't use much electricity and that they don't have to mess with.

Attach a small HDD or SSD via USB. Now you have remote/cloud storage for your repositories with no limits on users and storage other than the limits you set yourself.

22. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Unity is completely unusable for me as well. None of the solutions posted here and elsewhere like deleting collaboration and others made any changes.

I keep having to kill Unity and restart it, some wait times go for 10+ minutes, sometimes even 30+. Any tiny operation like clicking a UI element in the inspector or wherever can result in several minutes wasted staring at the loading bar.

Multi tasking is also a big no no since taking focus away from the Unity editor window means more wasted minutes waiting for the window to refocus and do whatever it's doing when I reopen it. Not only that, occasionally the mouse and even the whole PC actually locks up completely.

This is beyond frustrating, it's killing my productivity and I'm on very tight deadlines already, I'm now taking more time staring at Unity and restarting it than actually doing anything. The project large is fairly large but this just isn't acceptable.

I'm desperate at this point since this is quite literally costing me money, if anyone has any ideas or solutions I'd love to hear it.

id0 likes this.
  23. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sounds like instead of fixing Collaborate, they decided to apply the Collaborate principles (number one being "Waste the user's time as much as possible") to the whole editor, so now there is no dissonance when using Collaborate.

Tibor0991, Superjayjay and Ramobo like this.
  24. grofie

grofie

It's only free for the first year and does not support LSF..

25. grofie

grofie

26. Ramobo

Ramobo

It seems that the latter is true, but not the former:
    https://cloud.google.com/free/

27. grofie

grofie

Cool, looks like they changed it again. A couple of months ago my repository didn't work anymore (after using it for a year) and Google wanted to me to pay. Was the last time I used that repository.. I will try it out again at home.

Ramobo likes this.
  28. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Can confirm updating to the last version made absolutely no difference. Been spending several hours trying many other things, including cleaning up the project but nothing changed. The only conclusion I reached was that the simplest the scene, the faster the editor ran which isn't exactly shocking. Other than that absolutely nothing made any difference. The scene I need to work on isn't even that complex, and my PC should be more than good enough to handle it (and it used to work perfectly fine with older Unity versions).

Still at a complete loss, I just wasted hours trying to pinpoint and possibly circumvent a massive issue that isn't my fault to begin with with no success. Something is horribly wrong with the editor and no fix in sight. Very frustrating to say the least.

Edit: Just got stuck on Inspector.InitOrRebuild for 27(!!!) minutes. Just how the hell is this even possible?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    id0 likes this.
  29. id0

id0

I confirm, it is simply impossible to work. At the slightest action, or even inaction, the window will pop out and I have to admire it for a minute or two(or ten, or even more). In play mode this #$@ window can freeze everything and than just restart editor can help. What is this anyway? No excuses are accepted, it's just sucks. FIX THE EDITOR! Return everything as it was!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    JDaze and Superjayjay like this.
  30. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

I just want to add I suspect the Hold on message window is unlikely to be the cause, I recall the issue already happened before (minus the pop-up) in earlier versions, just not nearly as bad. I recall a few instances where the editor would get seemingly no stuck for no reason for minutes and I'd assume it froze for good so I force closed and restarted it. At least now we get the feeling it's doing something, the only problem is that getting stuck for minutes everytime we click somewhere makes the editor nearly unusable and something is clearly horribly broken here because I don't see why clicking on a small object in the scene requires nearly 30 minutes to display the inspector, specially when it's regardless of how many scripts it has.

31. id0

id0

I don't know, maybe some freezes happened before sometimes, but the editor never pissed me off as much as now. I must say this is bad feeling. I just hate this pop-up windows!

Maybe would be better to optimize the editor than to constantly write in windows that the editor supposedly "loads something"? It does not help! Why am I waiting 10 minutes or more for my project to open? This has never happened before. What happens to the engine?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  32. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

I can confirm the project also takes a very long time to open as well.

Going into play mode the first time after the project is opened also takes an eternity.

One interesting thing I've come to notice is that editor seems to work a bit faster as time goes on. Still nowhere as fast as it should be however.

33. Aento

Aento

I 100% with you

34. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi everybody,

If you're affected by long waiting times during asset refreshes, please have a look at this thread where we're listing known issues that can lead to these slow downs and how to avoid writing code that can have this effect.

Regarding the performance problems related to Collab, so far we're not able to reproduce these on our end. If you're affected by this, we'd really appreciate it if you could submit a Collab support ticket, following the steps below:

35. Spikebor

Spikebor

wow #184 in discussion and this doesn't get resolved.
    This Hold On popup is an abomination, please kill it or let people kill it with a click.

36. id0

id0

I've notice when this busy of something pop-up: there is another unity process appear. It can just freeze main editor, and stay that way any long, until I just kill this process, than everything return to normal. I mean waht a hell is this? I don't know if they are fixed it in some new versions. I'm now on 2020.2.0b6

37. Spikebor

Spikebor

ping me when in any 2020 version this got fixed, thanks guy!

38. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Removing Collab worked for me, tested on 2019.4.9 to 15 and 2020.1. @QGGameDesign I didn't thought about that but you'r right, they can use a lot o different servises for the same purpose like GitHub.

39. bltowry

bltowry

After Updating to a new version of Unity (2020.1), my scripts no longer open, and a popup very similar pops up, however, my message stays up forever and does not open Visual Studio. This is a big problem because I can no longer edit or create scripts.
    UnityMessage.png

40. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @bltowry,

This is not related to asset refreshes.

Could you please check if it happens in 2020.2 as well? If so, it would be great if you could submit a bug report for it with reproduction steps.

41. florianBrn

florianBrn

Can confirm it happens in 2020.2.0f1. It shows up every time I make changes to a script, as well as when launching Unity, but also at some other random times. Today I had Editorapplication.update popping pretty much every time I moved a node in Shader Graph for example (which never happened before). There's also the OnGui/InspectorWindow.Repaint showing frequently.

It's almost impossible to work in 2020.2 because of this. I legit spend more time waiting for these windows to go away than I spend actually getting some work done.

Edit: forgot to say that I'm not using Collab.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  42. dinuka_jay

dinuka_jay

I'm really glad I'm not the only one. I keep getting interruptions like "Collab.Tick", "Application.Message." sometimes when I update a script, move a file into a folder (rearrange and organize), and especially when opening a project. The startup takes ages. I'm on 2020.2 and I use Collab.

Screenshot_1w.png

Attached Files:

43. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Glad to see Unity is at least aware of this issue but sadly none of what's ont that thread helped us. Seems like what causes these crippling issues was updating the asset importer/manager so is there a way to revert back to the previous version while still being on Unity 2020? We're so desperate we'll take literally any improvement whatsoever, I can't stress enough how absolutely crippling these issues are. When I'm saying it makes the editor unusable it's no hyperbole.

On a related note, this might be a coincidence but it seems to me that whenever the editor gets stuck for 10+ minutes, clicking around in the editor seems to speed up whatever the hell Unity is doing. It's often the difference between waiting 15 minutes and 30+ minutes.

florianBrn likes this.
  44. Deozaan

Deozaan

Now that you mention it, I've noticed that when the editor is busy and I leave it running in the background to finish its tasks while I do other things, it's not uncommon for me to finally click back on the editor after it appears to have finished and then it immediately starts doing more things again, blocking me for several more minutes.

I suppose clicking around the editor could keep it in focus and keep telling it that, yes, you really want it to finish what it's doing so you can start using it to accomplish some work.

florianBrn likes this.
  45. Havokki

Havokki

Not sure if this will help any of you, but in case you’re using F-Secure Safe, check if there is xfencedaemon process using a lot of resources the next time Unity is stuck. Killing that process allows Unity to continue doing its thing.

On Windows you can tell Safe to ignore Unity, but those settings are not yet available on MacOS.

I have reported this to both F-Secure and Unity.

EDIT: Note that this became a problem only after Unity 2019.4 and 2020.1. Any older versions are working just fine with Safe.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  46. neopaul78

neopaul78

Unity is dead - it's time to return to Unrial Engine. I only hear excuses from developers and each new version becomes twiceЕ slower. 2021 has reached the limit of patience. Unity Tech put a big problem under our door for the new year :( In addition, Unity Tech ignores the problem with Google Cardboard - apparently promoting the sale of expensive Oculyus helmets. and all this bureaucracy against the backdrop of morally outdated low-level methods of building games. pressed one button and again wait 5 minutes - this is what Unity Tech is striving for. Most likely the Unity project was sabotaged by competitors - perhaps it was bought by Microsoft and is now slowly destroying it

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  47. DryreL

DryreL

It's just a simple 2D game...

(Unity 2020.2.1f1)

Superjayjay likes this.
  48. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Consider yourself lucky, I've had to wait upwards of 30 minutes to nearly an hour. I almost always close Unity by using the task manager, I'm not going to stare at the screen for nearly an hour for an app to close. This also reflects how utterly ridiculous the situation has gotten.

florianBrn likes this.
  49. neopaul78

neopaul78

It's time to quit Unity because Unity Technologies doesn't care about wasting programmers' time - they only care about earning money on advertising and promoting expensive equipment like the Oculus helmet, they don't care about the fate of poor people who are quite satisfied with the Google Cardboard technology. Otherwise, Unity Technologies would have given Google an ultimatum - to fix its plug-in or declare its refusal from Card-Borda's charity. since 2019 Unity often cannot identify a line of code with a null reference to an object. and in the 2020-2021 version, this began to happen even more often. These 3 problems turn using the Unity engine into picking through the trash.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  50. PetterL68

PetterL68

I dont know if this is the same. Im a standard user. of Unity I had heard a lot of the dark mode and when it came avaliabe i tried to turn it on. At once i got those popup boxes that Unity do something. Now i get it even in a just started project.
    Have added a sphere and a cube as a surface. When added the cube Unity wanted to do something for some sec.
    When i switched back to white mode. I not get any popupboxes between doing things. Just as before i switched. fast and responsive. No slowdowns when add things or moving between screens and so on.
    Could the dark mode been made so it is free, but it slow the unity down to make the user buy a pro mode or switch back to white mode?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021