Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

2. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Baste likes this.
  3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

So to sum up, is there any light in the horizon where 2020.3 will be on par with 2019 stability and no wait times whatsoever ?

Is it suggested to try our luck with 2021 which may be faster in that regard ?

What should we do to keep working normally without pop up windows with waiting times, be small waiting or large etc

This is not about an individual bug, it is about almost every single action in 2020 triggering a pop up window with a wait time, stalling any serious work.

This is very crucial to have a picture of what is happening behind the scenes so can decide how to move with asset releases. For example if optimizing 2020 is abandoned and 2021 is the focus and works faster, maybe move all asset release lowest version to 2021 for example. This will save users a lot of headache too.

Also i really fail to see why the Editor was made so much worse, as there is no any visible difference, for same things we get now pop ups and wait times and stalls, why might this be and not be same like 2019 editor performance ? I find it very strange.

lmbarns likes this.
  4. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Having used Unity since 3.x days ... I welcome this popup: it's so much better to know 'what' is hanging the editor.

However I believe the hatred a lot of people have for it is caused by a simple problem: it's too slow to render. When I'm using a version with the popup it's so slow I can see a flicker of redraw as the UI for that popup appears. And again when it disappears. That's enormously jarring and unpleasant - it jumps in your face, it looks ugly, it's slow, and then it jumps away again.

Fixing the rendering so that it appeared instantly, and disappeared instantly when finished, would be a huge perceptual inmprovement (and greatly reduce annoyance factor) without needing to speed up the actual blocking process(es).

(also ... I'd love to have a setting that made it only appear after 0.5 seconds or similar. The flicker of it appearing and disappearing when the wait time was so small that as a user I didn't care ... is equally: more annoying than the thing it was trying to fix)

5. Baste

Baste

upload_2022-4-4_15-7-38.png

6. badschti

badschti

Hey, I found a really strange behavior:

When I start the play mode the "Hold on" window comes up and starts to wait for X minutes. If I go to Visual Studio and change something in code and save it, the "Hold on" window goes away and the play mode starts instantly.

I don't know what to do with this observation, but maybe others will find it interesting as well.

Have a good waiting time!

7. Rowlan

Rowlan

Any news on the performance problem and when we'll get a fixed version?

8. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hey, I can confirm this is fixed on trunk (see attached picture). For the LordenFell Demo, the code for MergeAllPrefabInstances now runs in 1.3s, rather than the 102 seconds it was taking before.

The fix is currently on its way to the Editor release that comes after 2022.1.0f1 (I guess its 2022.1.2f1 but I'm not completely sure, will give you the number once it lands)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

I got another project where i cant export files from now, in Unity 2021.3 LTS.

It is crazy, is stuck for ever, i remake the library and still not works.

I lost a whole day trying to export few files and is now in two of my main projects, so is probably a wide spread issue.

Unity 2021.3 LTS is not even in pre-Beta stage, please fix this release asap as is impossible to work properly.

I simply cant grasp how such a release got out of the door, is simply not working on multiple levels.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a sample, i created also a new project and could export once, then stuck 2ond time

Unity 2021.3 is practically unusable for me right now, please do something asap

1st image is the stuck export (2 times lately, also on another 2021 project)

2ond is general delays in everything

Deleted User and mgear like this.
  11. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

nasos_333 likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, thanks a lot for the response, really appreciated.

I will try do this asap and get back.

I have an update, after restart the machine and erase the temp folder in the project, eventually managed to export the files again, so i am looking at that direction too, i can test it with my other project that still not export and will also report if erasing the temp helps

Unity_Javier likes this.
  13. Stc_c

Stc_c

Hello ! First of all, sorry for my bad english and if my message does not seem clear.

I had the same "Hold on" progress bar issue tonight after exporting a prefab to another project.
    This prefab was made with ProBuilder.

The original scene of the project where the prefab was made had no issue, it ran smoothly all day.
    It's when I started adding this prefab to the scene of my other project after exporting it that the "Hold on" progress bar showed up.
    It showed up every time I pressed play, moved or modified the prefab made with ProBuilder.

The message from @JDaze from this topic partially solved my problem :
    I don't have "Hold on" progress bar issue anymore but my scene freezes for a few seconds during play when I instantiate clones of the prefab made with ProBuilder.

I hope this is the cause of the issue and if I could help anyone having the same issue :D

PutridEx likes this.
  14. neebeeroo

neebeeroo

Guys! I think I finally find a solution.
    1. Open Unity.
    2. Open any script with your IDE.
    3. Close Unity (Do not close IDE)
    4. Open Unity again. And now you don't have "busy" and other annoying popups.
    At least that worked for me!

FernandoMK likes this.
  15. itsjustmeagain

itsjustmeagain

I can give you a really good advice. We are still running Unity 2019 and it's working great! With all experience I've built up using 2020-2021 we can't upgrade. Unfortunately, Unity just gets worse over time. That's the sad truth.

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

I have a different experience. I had to use 2019 recently and noticed how many things I miss from newer versions.

17. Rowlan

Rowlan

2022.1.0f1 is out. Can't wait for the fix to arrive. I really don't mind alphas and betas and bugs and crashes and whatever, but this one made me stop using Unity updates altogether. That's just too much of a waste of my precious life time. Unity should have given this bug maximum priority.

18. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the ping! The fix landed in 2022.1.1f1 and should be out in the next couple weeks once that build is ready for release!

19. Rowlan

Rowlan

It seems to also happen in NatureManufacture's Meadow Environment. Just in case you want to test it. Works fine in 2021.3.2f1, ie scene starts instantly when you hit play. Not so in alpha / beta, there you have to wait.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
  20. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just tried in 2022.1.2f1 and entering play mode is fast again. Thank you very much! :)

Unity_Javier and FernandoMK like this.
  21. valarnur

valarnur

22. Rowlan

Rowlan

I clicked that link and saw this:

Perhaps making realistic suggestions could get you somewhere, that post won't :)

23. valarnur

valarnur

HDRP 14 is still in alpha. Even beta stream has API changes.

The problem is if size of API and Packages will get bigger, it could fall out of control and this "Lots of busy" issue will never go away.

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It won't.

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

This is based on your assumption without you knowing the code. Or did you profile it? What you write is a rant without content, nothing more.

26. altepTest

altepTest

the size of software will always go up.

hopefully for who still use unity, the dev team most likely knows what is causing this and maybe they have changed the editor fundamental code architecture for the 2023 version, to avoid having these issues in the future.

if the current editors 2020, 2021, 2022 are flawed they can't do anything to fix it that make any corporate sense. It will cost a lot of money, work hours and would make them incompatible with existing version. Is like creating a new version for already out of the loop versions.

Better to do this for the 2023 future iteration.

Hopefully they are doing this.

But if they just take the 2022 and change some parts of the UI only, well then it will be worse and worse.

Can't exclude this possibility either.

I would go for 72% in favor that they are fixing it. Ok, maybe 63%

27. HaresHent

HaresHent

Hello.
    I was using previous version of unity which is 2020.3.6f1 which was taking 1-2 hours to process decide to upgrade unity to version
    2021.3.4f1 took 20 minutes to update the files and when I went to clean a house and press CTRL + Z it went to 1 hour of loading!

Does anyone know how to fix this?
    It's absurd that you work and unity F***s you!

upload_2022-6-7_12-47-1.png

upload_2022-6-7_12-52-2.png

28. Rowlan

Rowlan

File a bug report with a reproducible case. It's as simple as that.

29. altepTest

altepTest

I've got that Ctrl+Z bug a few times, I don't have a solution.

Also this stuff about reproducible bug case. That is unrealistic. For example it was just some normal Ctrl+z operation. You do that in the same project hundreds of times each time you work. Then one time it doesn't work. :confused:

30. HaresHent

HaresHent

I didn't have this charging problem before!
    Being able to make a complete scenario using Blender and Unity.

When I went to install unity's ProBuilder, it started taking this 1 HOUR LOADING delay.

Something that was supposed to make life easier is only getting in the way.:(:(:mad:

31. servobit

servobit

Unity version 2021.3.0f1 Personal has the same issue :(

Upgraded to version 2022.1.4f same problem.. I must be missing something.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  32. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

I've been using Unity 2022.1 for a while and so far I haven't been interrupted by "hold on". :confused:

Of course, these are projects for functionality testing only. so maybe I didn't trigger this problem, but now I'm really curious to see if any bigger game can crash it or not. but so far, no interruptions.:)

33. Lavish_Feast

Lavish_Feast

i cant escape it

34. catherineomega

catherineomega

Is there a timeline on a backport to 2020.3.x? I’d love my team to have the resources to upgrade our projects, but that’s just not realistic for us. Thanks!

35. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

It's so simple in fact that people keep doing that yet now years later the issue unbelievably still persists.

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

I get this issue a lot lately, all my 2021.3.0 projects have problem at some point

This last forever, i am trying 2ond time now and simple have no clue if will even get unstuck

Gets stuck for any export, even for one single file !!!!

I cant describe how i miss Unity 2018 days, where everything, UI, editor, graphics etc worked flawlessly and crazy faster.

Please fix this bug as is a real showstopper

npc_zero likes this.
  37. Ultimate360

Ultimate360

Hi there, using Unity 2021.3.6f1

When I open my script in Unity and opens VS 2022, this goes: upload_2022-7-25_10-16-55.png

then when I go back to Unity window or even close the VS, this hover window sticks out (Importing assets):
    upload_2022-7-25_10-12-37.png

But when I click menu bar on top, it close, then when I just save; or when I alt+tab and return to unity window, it pops up again infinitely. I found it annoying, it won't go away... one solution I found is I have to open my Editor first, so I'll have no "Importing assets" forever display on top. upload_2022-7-25_10-30-59.png

How can I get rid of this?

38. altepTest

altepTest

Superjayjay and WeiTinYuen like this.
  39. MaxRoetzler

MaxRoetzler

Unity 2021.3.4f1 on an SSD, opening a shader!

upload_2022-7-26_11-5-25.png

Unity, problems by default.

40. altepTest

altepTest

still having people tell this is not a thing. how innocents

41. valarnur

valarnur

As project grows bigger, I see a lot of these messages in HDRP 15
    2s54111.JPG

I didn't want to wait for srcipt to compile so I cancel it to test what happens. But this is not wise.

234ds1SD.JPG

MaxRoetzler, Superjayjay and PutridEx like this.
  42. jf3000

jf3000

A bug that has been around for many years and will be around for many more years because Unity doesn't know how to fix it or to them it isn't a bug.

sdb7 and Superjayjay like this.
  43. pravinranjwan

pravinranjwan

This Bug is completely Pathetic. Why unity not looking into such hug bug? No proper answer.

44. lmbarns

lmbarns

For me it was Unity analytics/ads in the project, I disabled both and it no longer hangs/freezes. I upgraded the project to 2020.3 and it was unusable, constantly hanging and thinking, disabled ads and analytics and it runs normally.

45. npc_zero

npc_zero

unity_stuck.png
    In fact it will never finish, stuck every day for me, I need to stop Unity Editor in the task manager.
    Unity 2022.1.11~15

46. Bmco

Bmco

I've read a year's worth of posts in this thread and no one has mentioned the switch to PlasticSCM as the potential problem. This is around the time the "Hold On..." "Reloading Script Assemblies" "On GUI Repaint" dialogs began for me.

I'm currently in 2021.3.6f1. I thought Plastic might be less of an issue if my internet shut off. Unity will NOT load my project if I'm not connected to the internet. That's alarming to me, since I'd at least expect a dialog saying that's why nothing's happening, instead of "Waiting to Execute Core Module..." Message for eternity.

I'm a Pro user and the new Pro Features list includes direct contact with a Unity Engineer. I'm hoping I can get to the bottom of this...

It's getting so bad for me, I'm about to switch back to the NUnit nuget package since the Test Runner window iteration takes 10x longer now!!!

47. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

UnityPackageManager self-destructs (with wrong/misleading error messages) without BOTH internet access AND a recent manual relogin using Unity's preferred web browser (doesn't even ask first, just grabs Microsoft Edge and goes for it). Developing 100% locally if I don't turn on the wifi I can't access my own local packages. Took me a while to figure out why so much of the Editor was crashing.

48. altepTest

altepTest

OP please deliver. I'm curios what will be the result, if you get this fixed.

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Trying to submit an update to two of my packages from 2021.3 for an hour

Note that i have never had the same issues in 2019, this is happening at random in 2021.3 and above

This is just crazy, we cant work like that for sure. All those lost hours is unbelievable. And this is issue seems to be in all Unity versions after 2019, i wonder how the teams test the new releases, this seems like a super crucial and forever unfixed issue.

And we see Unity version 2023, like all is fine with 2021 and 22, when is clearly not. I wonder why teams are assigned to making new versions than fix the major issues. We dont need new Unity versions, just working ones.

In my mind there should not be a Unity 2022 until had fixed this error.

50. altepTest

altepTest