Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of busy... Hold on.... etc?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by hippocoder, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Baste

Baste

Tried deleting the library? If this was triggered by updating to a new version, that version might have done a corrupt asset import.

googer likes this.
  2. googer

googer

Hey, thank you for the reply :)
    I have tried deleting the library and having Unity rebuild it, it didn't help unfortunately. I suspect it does have something to do with the library though, mine is around 163 gigabytes large but my friend's (who's on exactly the same project) is around 54 gigabytes. What could have caused this? Could this be the reason that I'm getting all the ''Hold ons''?

3. altepTest

altepTest

One thing you can try is to compare what are unity packages number/version between you and your colleague. If you have a more recent one try reverting it back to the one he had.

Let us know what you find, I'm curios.

Reason that this may be an issue is that when you have updated the project to a newer unity version that unity version comes with updated packages. Once you got back to the previous unity version, those packages may remain on the recent version. So the newer packages if they are supported by the older unity will remain updated.

Curios to see what you've got.

4. googer

googer

We'll definitely give this a try, I'll update you on what we've got

This might be an issue, yes. Could it be the thing that's causing all the stalls?
    Thank you for the feedback :)

5. FractureEntertainment

FractureEntertainment

Is there a way too get rid of those loading, hold on, Applacation.Updating... every mouse button press I do in unity at the moment takes a loading time of about 1 to 10 minutes. Neadless to say nothing gets done.

AlterMannn likes this.
  6. chranti

chranti

Not sure if this is the same problem everyone else is having, but I discovered a way to fix my instance of this issue on EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged (triggers when entering play mode).

With the Windows Task Manager open, I noticed that there were many "Git for Windows" child tasks under the Unity Editor. The screenshot below only has 4 but I've seen up to ~50 (seems to create new ones time I enter play mode).

Manually ending each of those child tasks would break the busy loop and allow me to return to normal.

Attached Files:

7. Baste

Baste

That's strange. Are you using a git-plugin for the editor? Like a github thing?

8. googer

googer

Update on this, sorry for the late reply :)
    We've cross-referenced out unity package versions, we're both on the same ones though.
    No fix yet though. This is really bad :(

9. dezzell

dezzell

Yes, that is why I always backup before I update, lol... When I went back to 2019, it was all hosed up. Lucky I had a backup. Try to disable each Game Object till you find the one causing all the Hold times. Rename the Library folder and reopen. Adjusted Preference General - Compress Assets on Import and Busy Progress Delay. All those seem to have helped. The big issue for me was Gaia Spawn Game Object on Terrain. I disabled and the Hold messages went away, or greatly reduced.

May be a single Game Object causing the issue. Do a process of elimination. That is all I can suggest. Hopefully Unity3D will improve the next release as it is very very very aggravating to the point of wanting to switch to Unreal 5. lol.. I have been using Unity 3D since 2006 and seems every year it would get better. Thou it is soooo slow on my Alienware laptop with 1070 Nvidia video, lots of memory and solid state drives. I sit here waiting and waiting most of the time. I know it is the trees, and grass. Thought Gaia 2021 Pro would improve that, however made it worst. So Unity, Please Fix your Program. Hire developers that use your program to make enhancements and improvements. Not slow down our work and make us want to quit developing. I bet you hired developers from Unreal, and they are sabotaging Unity to get people to move to Unreal.

Superjayjay likes this.
  10. dezzell

dezzell

If you do have a backup prior to updating. You could copy the scene and any assets updated from the broken project to the backup, maybe that will help. I had to do that one time and it worked.

11. Superjayjay

Superjayjay

Imagine being in my shoes, having pushed hard to switch to Unity for a new project at the company I work for, only to see our productivity tank completely compared to previous projects thanks to a completely busted up editor. Not only these constant issues make my work unbelievably frustrating and cause me and my colleagues to miss deadlines, I was made to look like a complete and utter buffoon to my bosses and colleagues because it was my call to switch to Unity. Saying I'm at my wits end is the understatement of the month.

12. devrand

devrand

3 years and no fix ... this is beyond embarrassing and pretty much shows the "professional" workflow and dedication of the Unity team. Why do you hate the community so much? An engine should help you get work done quick not make you battle it every day but i guess you have features to roll out till next release and all of the community struggling can just wait couple years until bankruptcy.

As for whoever had the bright idea of introducing "hold-ons" into the editor you can see that at Unity no one thinks anything through actually and just pumps out "features" half-baked then decides to abandon them (DOTS anyone?). Had Unity worked with their own engine and produces a game at least once they would sortof known that:

* There is no progress indicator of how long the hold-on will take (on huge projects it takes like 4-8 hours)
    * The window always pops up multiple times, steals window focus and disrupts your workflow while you wait hours! The engine constantly reminds you that its waisting your time and you could actually get work done right now with probably another engine (hint taken)
    * There is no way to tell the engine to just shut up and hold on in the background (a checkbox on the hold on window would have done it)
    * Hold on kicks in randomly or even if only a patch level version changed (i.e. upgrading from 2018.4.35f1 to 2018.4.36f1 triggers a hold on really? Do you actually know how versioning works??)
    * Hold on problems drag on from Unity 5 (so for almost a decade) and were never resolved (why should they - they have more important features to ship right? community can wait couple decades)

From the mentioned points and frustrated people in this thread it's easy to judge the professionalism and dedication at Unity (none).

As for me, no more cheap Unity BS and unreliable hold-ons ... moving to another engine. Having suffered major workflow issues and missing deadlines i will advocate against Unity to my best abilities but this thread speaks for itself and is a great pointer at why you SHOULD AVOID Unity at all cost (another recent good one https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/d4mizh/why_i_wish_i_didnt_choose_unity_for_my_game/).

sisF likes this.
  13. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello!
    The fix we anticipate to fix some of the issues you describe here has landed in:
    - 2022.2.0a3
    - 2022.1.0b8
    - 2021.2.13f1
    - 2020.3.31f1 (internal so far, but will be published soon)

The fix is related to preview generation which is happening in a worker thread, that code sometimes tried to generate the preview for the scene you are working in (which should never happen), while the Editor was waiting for the worker thread to finish. As all this is async - the progress bar could show different messaging. This particular issue was happening when you entering Playmode, so now those long "progress bars" when entering Playmode should be gone. It might fix some other places, but as we couldn't reproduce issue ourselves - we couldn't verify it ...

14. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

@Vitaly_Unity

Are you sure this landed in 2021.2.13? Just checked and I still get that annoying hold popup before each PLAY, even nothing changed in the scene/scripts. Click play > hold on > stop > click play > again hold on > and so on...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    SMHall and unity_uCAh1YGgjxXPOw like this.
  15. googer

googer

Hello everyone,
    I managed to get my project (kinda) working properly. Problem still isn't 100% solved, the dialogues are still longer than they used to be before the update but it's workable now: dialogues that would last for 5-6 minutes on end now last for 10-20-ish seconds. No more crashes, and the dialogues don't appear on every single action I take in the project.

The fix was compressing textures on import (Preferences > Asset Pipeline > check Compress Textures on Import). This will probably take some time depending on the size of your project.
    Another thing that I noticed has helped a lot is that the project got faster the more I worked, as if a cache was getting built up the more I did stuff.
    Hope this helps someone :)

16. dugurca

dugurca

- 2021.2.13f1 Doesn't fix the issue for me. I have a small project and a beefy computer (with a fast SSD), but I still wait around 25 seconds every time I change something. This wasn't the case in 2019.X.Y or 2020.X.Y
    Also Preferences > Asset Pipeline > check Compress Textures on Import didn't do anything.
    Very annoying experience overall. :(

17. googer

googer

Sorry to hear that :(
    If it's any consolation I must've tried out 30-40 different things over a period of 2-3 weeks until I got something, it was very annoying. I suggest you comb through this (huge) thread and other related ones, see what potential fixes people have had and keep trying them out, something is bound to help.

dugurca likes this.
  18. dugurca

dugurca

No worries! :) I'm trying potential fixes one by one, but so far nothing stuck. Maybe incremental changes.
    But what I wonder is: This thread is more than 2 years old! :confused: And users are clearly suffering. Shouldn't this be a priority for Unity? C'mon guys :eek:

googer likes this.
  19. altepTest

altepTest

Unity announced a fix a few posts above. Did you have tried to see if it works?

20. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hello @iMobCoding and @dugurca
    yes, the fix has landed in 2021.2.13f1, think your issue is just different than we fixed. The real problem is that we can't reproduce your issues ourselves...
    If you could send me your repro project, I can try those. I know in most cases those projects are huge ...

Also from what we have seen so far - sometimes it is "user code" related, maybe it is on the edge of a few packages you are using in your projects. I have seen in this thread that for some people installing Gaia made this issue to appear, I tried Gaia myself - couldn't reproduce, but I didn't use other big AssetStore packages in combination, my guess is the combination of packages can be the problem.
    I would really appreciate repro of this.

LeonhardP likes this.
  21. Baste

Baste

When you test asset store packages, you should try to add a ton of extra scripts and assets to the project. If the package does something bad like scanning through a bunch of stuff at reimport, then you won't notice that before there's a lot of just stuff around.

You can reveal quite a lot by just writing a script that outputs 10000 empty MonoBehaviours and 10000 white textures :p

SMHall and a436t4ataf like this.
  22. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

I was talking about the annoying popup, not some long hold on. No need for a repro project. Just create a brand new one in 2021.2.13 and cycle through play/stop/play... That thing doesn't happen in 2020 versions. I wouldn't complain if it didn't mess up with my custom scripts for automating the Visual Studio save > Unity build > Play process

Attached Files:

• asd.gif
      asd.gif
      File size:
      384.3 KB
      Views:
  23. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

ah, sorry, we haven't changed that ...

24. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

So, any clue why anybody thought that popup contribute to anything useful and put it there? Is it possible to simply remove it? :D

25. altepTest

altepTest

you can't remove it. that is feedback when the editor can't process user commands till it finishes what it has to do. if is something that can be done behind scenes while you do other tasks that pop up will not show up

skplunkerin likes this.
  26. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

Yes I understand. Just telling that's something we didn't have in previous versions even those also did something in the background. Also thought there are some smart caches Unity does so if nothing is changed in the editor (just play/stop/play/stop) then there is nothing to reload

AlterMannn likes this.
  27. Rowlan

Rowlan

@Vitaly_Unity I noticed that the Lordenfel HDRP demo scene takes 2 minutes to enter play mode and 2 minutes to exit play mode. Here's the point where I'd stop using Unity, that's too much of a waste of personal life time. However that's in 2022.1.0b10. Should I post in Beta instead of here? Loading the scene takes also very long. This was very fast in previous Unity versions. I uploaded a repro, Case 1408812.

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

yes, what @dorusoftware said, this progress bars are considered an improvement - previously Editor was simply unresponsive and you couldn't understand if Editor hanged or actually doing some work, so now with progress bar you see what is happening and can relatively see which operation is taking longest (from what is written in progress bar).

Can we remove it or make Editor always responsive? - unfortunately no, the problem is that lots of things still happen in the main thread and whenever the main thread is blocked/busy - Editor is unresponsive and user can't do any action anyways, so we show the progress bar (on which we show which operation is happening currently).
    We started to move things to worker threads (async preview generation, assets parallel import, async upload to CacheServer, etc) but lots of things are still main thread only... Also another problem is to show log from the worker threads on the main thread's progress bar (imagine we have 10 workers doing something in parallel, how to show all that on the main thread's progress bar, especially when the main thread is blocked by doing something), so while progress bar stuck showing "Executing code in Editor ..." it is very possible that main thread is waiting for some worker process to finish something, but there is no chance to show that on progress bar. That is why when users reporting something like "progress bar takes long time on <something>" - it is so hard to actually understand what was happening in the background...

sorry, lots of text, but I just wanted to give some context :)

Now, we know about all those problems I described above, we are continuously working on further parallelisation, but we are not there yet ...

FernandoMK likes this.
  29. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Rowlan
    Thank you for the bug report! I will try to repro it myself.

"This was very fast in previous Unity versions" - can you say approximately in what versions so I can compare to.

30. Rowlan

Rowlan

You can try 2021.2.13f1. Do you have access to the Lordenfel Asset? It's a very good reproduction case.

Loading the scene "Overgrown_Ruins_01" takes 3 seconds in 2021.2.13f1. Entering play mode 6 seconds. Quite the difference to 2022.1.0b10 which makes using that asset unbearable. If you need more information just hit me up.

31. Rowlan

Rowlan

I upconverted that same project now to 2022.1.0b10 and it takes 38 seconds to enter play mode.

32. Vitaly_Unity

Vitaly_Unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks a lot! Yes, I can use that package in an empty project. Will start with the project you attached to the bug report (haven't looked into it yet).
    I hope to look into it tomorrow :)

valarnur and Rowlan like this.
  33. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

@Vitaly_Unity

Thank you, I understand :)

Now, as I already said, I have some custom script to automate the process of saving the script changes in external editor (VS/Code/Rider), find and activate the Unity window, wait for it to finish and finally click the Play. It mostly works but sometimes fails due to unpredictable Hold On popup...

So, is there some Unity API that I can use from the external script to check if Unity is still compiling/reloading and when it is ready to click PLAY?

Thanks

34. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hi @iMobCoding
    There are a number of APIs you can use.
    The first one is EditorApplication.isUpdating this API will generally return true when the editor has finished an AssetDatabase.Refresh call.

The second pair of APIs is and they get invoked whenever compilation has started/finished:
    The third option is also part of the Compilation Pipeline, but this one will tell you when each assembly has finished compiling:
    The last option is yielding inside a UnityTest (though I'm not sure if that would be applicable here), but just in case you find it useful, the example can be found here:
    If none of these work, you could read the Editor.log and look for a specific set of lines to appear in it, for example this pair:
    • Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    • Mono: successfully reloaded assembly
    And you could "just" check that if the number of matches for the 1st and 2nd line are the same, you can guesstimate that realoading has completed.

a436t4ataf, TerraUnity and iMobCoding like this.
  35. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hi @Rowlan,

Thanks for the heads up on the Lordenfel demo! I profiled it yesterday when entering PlayMode and we identified the code making it slow. I’ll update this thread as it gets fixed, but for posterity here’s a screenshot of what’s going on:

Attached Files:

36. altepTest

altepTest

"Merging infos" means the editor is reading all those small artifacts files from the Library folder?

37. tangga-crtv

tangga-crtv

I had the same "hold-on" pop up issue. Even scrolling or moving the cursor triggered the pop up. The issue practically made Unity editor useless. I used 2020.3 with no third party package. The pop up seems to indiscriminate to new or old project for me. Even if I make a completely new project, the hold-on message popped up every several steps.

I tried every suggestion here with no luck. The Library shader trick didn't work in my case. Getting rid of the Unity Collaborate also didn't help.

What works for me is (please be aware that this is a dumb-but-work-for-me-solution)
    1. I uninstalled the 2020.3 editor via the Unity Hub.
    2. I installed 2019.4 (also via the Unity Hub) in hope it will work without the pop up. And it did! The pop-up issue stopped.
    3. Then uninstall the 2019.4 editor.
    4. Then I installed the 2020.3 editor. It works perfectly now.

I have no idea what I have done but it works for me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    mgear likes this.
  38. JFR

JFR

Just adding on my two cents here, for me the editor lag (with lots of 'hold on' windows) when attaching to Unity was caused by too many disabled breakpoints in VS. Once I deleted them everything worked smoother.

39. Rowlan

Rowlan

If you need another repro case for sake of testing the fix, the BIG Environment Pack Reforged has the same problem. Enter and exit play mode takes very long.

Unity_Javier likes this.
  40. Magiel_ICT

Magiel_ICT

During this 'Hold on' dialog you are not able to go to 'Help' and report a bug unfortunately.

41. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Quick update on this: There is a potential fix being reviewed now by the Prefabs team which fixes the performance issue. Hope to be able to share more on its status in the coming days :)

a436t4ataf, qCring, rbhokse and 2 others like this.
  42. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

2021.2.16f1 Constantly hangs with the dialog, timer counts to infinity.

43. bsy50642

bsy50642

The 2020.3.22f1 version works quickly, but the 2021.2.14 and 2021.2.16 versions still have Hold-on problems. Even if you wait five times longer than 2020.3.22f1, it still remains the same.

44. alphabeta314

alphabeta314

I have to be sure to control-S to constantly save my work, if I accidentally go into visual studio and change the source with hierarchy changes it often perma-hangs with Reload Script Assemblies, and I lose all my Hierarchy changes as I have to task manager kill the unity process.

Attached Files:

45. easy_da_man

easy_da_man

One more case study:

- Upon starting Unity "2021.2.17f1" application hangs for about 20 minutes, before UnityEditor is started resp. usable.
    - Deleting folder "Library" before starting UnityEditor solves the problem, resp. it becomes usable and responsive after importing "Library" (1.5 min).
    - Closing UnityEditor however, then takes again 20 minutes.

Workaround is by deleting "Library" before start, and closing UnityEditor by using CTRL-Alt-Delete.

FernandoMK likes this.
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am stuck exporting 3 scripts from 2020.3 forever, generally unity after Unity 2019 the editor is not working for me, is extremely slow and with many wait times that interrupt any attempt to work.

Maybe all teams should focus on fixing 2020.3 and not focus on making new versions that are even more broken.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-editor-ui-keeps-reloading-something-after-each-click.1048958/
    https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/189494/unity-export-package-taking-too-long
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/lots-of-busy-hold-on-etc.833644/page-12
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/m3gzhj/stuck_on_resolving_packages_in_20203_lts_try_this/

Hi,

Maybe should consider some regression, e.g. start again from Unity 2019 code as 2020.3 is totally unusable with these stucks and waiting times. For sure should not be called LTS by any stretch of the imagination, as it falsely conveys a feeling that works correctly, when it does not.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    MaxRoetzler likes this.
  47. Rowlan

Rowlan

In case you need another test scenario: NatureManufacture's Mountain Environment takes forever in 2022.1.0b13 to open, i. e. the "HD RP Mountain Scene" scene

d.png

I just killed the Unity process and uninstalled that version. That version is a huge waste of time with such a bug. I hope Unity fixes that soon and gives it highest priority :)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  48. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just to have a reference: same scene takes 2 seconds to open in 2021.2.13f1.

49. Unity_Javier

Unity_Javier

Unity Technologies

Hi @nasos_33,
    I completely relate with the points you've made about the editor being slow and that a lot of times there is a lot of waiting to be done.
    There are some situations that we wish we could help, but sometimes can't because of repro steps, projects not available, hardware differences etc. That's why I've been exploring what can be done to alleviate the pain when it comes to the editor being stuck. I've shared a debugging guide for how to figure out where the editor is stuck and a way to point directly at our code and say "look, this function is stalled waiting for something to happen".
    I made the forum post here:
    I hope that sharing this approach can help us mitigate the number of times the editor is stuck (or slowed down) since its a very clear way of showing where in the code we're stuck.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    nasos_333 likes this.
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Great, thanks a lot for the feedback. Hopefully can have a better working 2020.3 version this way, will try to figure out when happen for all delays.

I am working on a big new Terrain generation asset project (PANGAEA) and recently moved it to Unity 2020 and really am in very hard situation as the work is very stalled by 2020.3, when it was flying in Unity 2019. Is a bit late to revert to 2019, and in any case this is not the point but rather 2020.3 work well again since users will anyway use it, so will try to give feedback on the issues asap.

Best,
    Nasos (ARTnGAME)