Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for release advice

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bigSadFace, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Hi All,

So I'm just adding the polish to a simple touch game I've developed. It has 50 levels currently and I think is a pretty fun play. It's a physics puzzler using programmer art.

I have a question regarding IAP vs free/paid versions. I want to release the whole game for free supported by ads; however also want the option for users to remove the ads. I've had a look at IAP options and it's likely to cost me about $30-$40 in assets to implement IAP simply to remove ads. I would prefer to release two versions. Is it acceptable in the current market to have a free and paid version instead of IAP? I would be happy just to release an ad supported version; however know that some people like the option of removing ads.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Changed the question slightly. Thanks in advance for any help.

3. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Depends on which platform you're targeting, I think.

Why not release the ad-supported version for now, and once you've made at least $30-$40 from it, buy the IAP middleware and release an update?

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

I agree with @superpig. I think it's almost expected anymore for free games to have ads or loads of IAP in them. Release it with the ads, and if you notice people are complaining, consider providing the option to remove them, I say.

5. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Thanks for the advice both. I'm not intending to make money; however if the ads can help cover the cost of the publishing developer licences for android/IOS that would be great.