Search Unity

Looking about creating a backend server solution with UNET for my game

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Kazzack, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Kazzack

Kazzack

I think the thread title describes what I'm trying to say, sorry if it's slightly mis-leading ^^

Basically I have a mini game i'm making, the core mechanics are done and basic networking is looking pretty good with the new UNET has been very fast and quite easy compared to Photon / Old Unity Networking.

Now I will be looking to start work on keeping track of accounts / stats / leaderboards / lobby system for like custom games and also matchmaking.

Just want to know some people's opinions are, maybe some resources/ideas on where to start...
    There's a backend service called 'PlayFab' that looks pretty amazing, not sure how compatible it would be with UNET, seems like it's more geared towards Photon.
    Does anyone have any experience yet of trying UNET with PlayFab?
    I know quite little, but i'm sure you can also use My SQL and php to create your own database solution, that can be used as a backend to store everything and communicate with your game?

If anyone knows of any more ways, that'll be great.

My game is only a small game and probably won't be played by more then like 20 people, but even so I would like to gain experience and knowledge in this area myself, so doing it as a small project is the best way (Y).

But yeah, if anyone has like any knowledge they would like to share, personal experience to help me choose / decide what's best.

I'm not asking for someone to hold my hand through it, but a point in the right direction would be grand xD

2. EmreB05

EmreB05

Parse.com, built by Facebook. Very powerful backhand database solution for games.

3. Kazzack

Kazzack

Sorry, I should of said it's not a mobile app it's for PC/Windows. By the looks of Parse - https://parse.com/docs/unity/guide, it says for Android and iOS apps.

4. EmreB05

EmreB05

Well, it works with pc too. It must be a typo or misunderstanding. They probably tried to say that, parse supports ios and android. I never released games for pc but during developments i build my mobile games as a standalone pc for testing purposes and parse worked like a charm

5. Kazzack

Kazzack

Alright then, I'll give it a proper look tomorrow :)